84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

rear heat delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rear heat delete?

yanked my center console out since it's half broken and looking horrible. probably going to put a Jeep soft console or something in there later. but, i've got the rear heat option on my '85 4runner and the whole heating unit is unbolted but it's held in with two pipes. i followed the pipes back to the engine compartment where they hook into two other lines at "T" connections and go back into the firewall, i assume into the heater core. since i want to get rid of this, what is the best way to block off these lines and where should i do it? is it just a simple plumbing cap or is it more involved than that? i looked in my FSM but it doesn't list anything about the rear heat or heater core, that i can see.

thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:53 AM

ok, went to the hardware store and thought of several ways i could get rid of the "T" connections, but one of the lines has a funky "T" connection with other stuff on it so i don't think i'll bother with that. thought about getting a threaded brass "stop" but then decided against it for now since i would have to tap the metal "T" and i don't feel like taking it all apart so i don't get any metal shavings in the coolant system, not today anyhow. the one on the bottom looks like you could get a straight plumbing piece that has the barbed ends on it and just clamp it at either end, thus deleting the "T" connection there.

but, i went the easy way for now. went to the auto parts store and got an assortment of stop offs for the heater core, popped the hoses off the "T" connections and put on the appropriate stop off and clamped them good. they are rubber and i haven't started the 4runner up to see how they hold up under pressure yet, we'll see.

just some (hopefully) useful information for any one else having this problem.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i justput a u shaped hose from the out let and inlet of the rear heat its right by the firsewall.. my lines rusted through under the runner
Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM

yep, once i got those little shields off under the vehicle i noticed they were pretty far gone as well. big flakes of rust coming off of them, the shields must have held moisture behind them, the exposed coolant lines didn't look bad at all!

man, the more i dig into this thing, the longer my list gets! oh well, i got 2 things accomplished today though, more than i got done all winter!
Old 04-19-2008, 02:01 PM

not to bring this thread back up again, but i wanted to note that the little caps or stops i put on the openings from the heater core lines could not take the pressure and burst. so, i went to the local pick-a-part and they had a 1st gen without rear heat and i snagged the lines for $10. put them in and she's running great again, no leaks.