84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Really odd issue with carb or spark issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really odd issue with carb or spark issue

OK so I have an 85 model Toyota pick up with the solid front axle and the 22 are carburetor and motor everything has been running fine but recently it has started to show signs of stuttering much like you would find if your carburetor was beginning to become clogged or havi g an air/fuel mixture issue, essentially I thought that's what the issue was And made some adjustments to see if the vehicle began to run smoother however it did not so I put the air fuel mixture screw back to where it was after counting the turns, well and come to find out the 2 wires coming from the bottom of the coil not the wire going to the distributor cap but the other 2 had ended up resting on the radiator metal tube in between the 2 rubber tubes it got hot enough to melt the insulation which shorted the coil out im assuming which caused the rough running issues, fixed that issue and the truck ran fine for 3 or 4 hours and then it quit idling altogether the only way the vehicle would continue to run is if you had your foot somewhat on the throttle I was trying to get home so I could look further into the issue and about 45 minutes later the vehicle pretty much stopped running altogether the only way that I could get it home was to keep the throttle wide open and whenever I would get to the highest rpm I was comfortable with I would let off slow down and repeat I did that for about 45 miles until I got home and I have no idea where to even start seeing as all of these issues started in in 1 day. If anybody can give me any kind of advice or even places where to start I would greatly appreciate it I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have worked on this truck multiple times but I just don't understand how making the truck run better and then hours later it actually runs worse then it did before I fixed the initial issue thanks in advance for any replies