84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Re-Thinking

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Thinking

Kudos to the BEST forum for Toyota Trucks! Sorry I've been away but the truck was garaged for the last 5 years or so.

I thought about selling her but she's been in the family since NEW! if you can imagine that, She is probably older than many of the members but if she was a car she would be a Cougar for all of you young guys.

In any event I've now been thinking about doing a body off restoration like the pictures the one of the staff has posted ( EXCELLENT JOB! )

So here's a few questions. Is there a way I can find out how many of these 85 Gas Turbo SR5 2WD PU's were produced. I've even gotten into some conflict here when a member argued that 86 was the first.

The truck is auto with air, Has virtually no rust including the bed. The interior is original and although it is not ripped or worn the springs are effected by gravity and a chunky butt or two ( not mine of course ;-)
The dash and head liner are like new but the carpets can use some replacing.

The truck is TAN and had factory details which I took off. I'd like to change the color but I wonder if I'm trying to preserve ORIGINAL value do I keep it TAN vs RED?

Thoughts and feedback welcome.

PS it has 134K and the only upgrade I would like to make is power windows which I hear will work from a 4 runner.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2016, 01:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds like you've got some sentimental value for your truck like all of us do!
Personally if the paint is still in good condition I would not repaint the truck, but it's your truck. Perhaps do some playing with photoshop and see what you can come up with for either decals, 2-tone, plastidip/temporary, and vinyl wrap, etc.

You should be able to swap in power windows no problem - yours didn't have it? I thought all the turbo's were SR5 package with everything -- my 87 had everything but leather and a sunroof. Pickups also had power windows, so either one should have the window regulator and motor you need. Likely will need the door panel and/or just the handle with the switches. IIRC a 4runner door panel has a 2nd opener handle for the rear passenger to climb out

I got nothing on how to find out how many models were produced each year, perhaps someone will have this info for you.