84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My 84 Pickup Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
My 84 Pickup Restoration

So I'm starting a project to restore my 84 to near new condition. I bought this truck for $1k and it had 187k on the odometer. Motor purrs. Just needs a new clutch and the drivetrain is fine.

First order of business was to get rid of this ugly camper shell and install my CB:

Here's the completed setup:

The interior is a real mess. Dash is cracked, the seat has a huge tear in it, floor mat is completely worn through to the body, the headliner looks too small for the truck. That will come later though.

Tomorrow I'm going to get a set of nice new chrome rims for it. Will post pics tomorrow. After the clutch is installed I'll be doing a 3" body lift and buying some 33" knobbies.

Last edited by JoshToy84; 01-02-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Good luck on your restore. My first was and 87 flatbed 2 wheel drive. Looks like you got a solid truck to start with. I will be following along as I have some of the same interior issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Cool! Yeah so went to the shop to get my wheels this morning..woke up an hour and a half early just to find out they have to order my wheels. Turns out wheel shops don't carry wheels in stock anymore. Totally retarded.

Lol...I got into my truck this morning and took a good look at things...changing the color of the interior is going to be a LOT of work. But there's no way I'm painting my truck blue and leaving the interior brown...yuck.

Last edited by JoshToy84; 01-03-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

LOL..(/QUOTE) there's no way I'm painting my truck blue and leaving the interior brown...yuck.[/QUOTE]...My interior is brown also, the body started out white, same as yours. I am thinking of repainting mine again this summer to green or blue. I used acralic enamel paint and want to do base coat /clear coat. I want to change my interior but am wondering about the headliner.
I think the headliner would be a PITA. About evertying else would be easy as long as you have the interior parts and they are hard to find in good condition. Even thought of painting them, but wonder if they would look tacky. I have seen picture on here with them painted and look good on the computer, but may not really have a choice.

The only thing about changing colors is the engine bay. It really stood out when I popped the hood. So I rattle canned it black. Depending on how summer goes, I would like to do it right. When I bought mine, I got stung on it as I didnt know about the frames on them and I had to replace the frame. Wasnt a bad job at all. Also I dont know if yours has the 4 speed in it but I stuck an 83 Celica 5 speed in mine and it was a direct fit. Best upgrade I ever did. If you have any questions just ask. I have done just about everything on mine. I will be following along.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
LOL..(/QUOTE) there's no way I'm painting my truck blue and leaving the interior brown...yuck.
...My interior is brown also, the body started out white, same as yours.[/quote]

Actually this truck started out tan, then it was painted white. That's what I'm guessing anyway as there are a few small spots that show tan. When I get mine painted I'm gonna make sure they paint all the exposed white, in and out.

What year is yours again?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Mine is an 87. From 84-88, I cant tell the differences. I did get rid of my bench seat as it get my back sore on long trips. When I changed to some better seats, I would rather drive this one over my 4WDs. One thing I wish I would of done is taken picture from what it was, and how it looks now is a big difference. This site is good for keeping track of your progress. Some of us on here (me) are not the most computer and camera literate. lol.. Finally getting pictures in my album, but probably why I am so partial to my 87 is Ive learned alot from body work, engine work, to upgrading it. You have a good truck to do alot with and keep cost down. What options did your truck come with? From what I have seen most 2 wheels came pretty stripped down with these years. I think they added more in the 89-95 models
Old 01-05-2011, 11:39 AM

You have a good truck to do alot with and keep cost down. What options did your truck come with?
Everyone I talk to says I got a great deal on my truck..even my mechanic thought I beat someone up and left 1k and took the truck lol!

My truck came with AC, but the compressor was taken out. There's just 2 hoses that leave a reminder of cool air on a hot day. And a cool green button that lights up....
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Well, here it is Thursday, and I still have yet to receive the new flywheel I ordered for my truck. Getting annoyed...these people said that they were gonna send it to me from their California distributor to save shipping time...turns out they sent it from Kansas City! It's supposed to show up tomorrow via UPS...but I don't trust UPS's delivery estimates. 9 times out of 10 they never deliver when they say they will.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have had the same issues with one of the delivery services. Dont remember which one. But I had the day all set for it and nothing. Took a week before I had time to do it again. I ordered a fuel pump and would like to see it show up today. Will wait and see. This is the last nice day I will have for awhile, we are to get snow and this weekend and colder.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
It looks to be a sweet deal, I'm in the same boat w/ my 4Runner restoration. The previous owner like to jimmy rig wires and such and cut all the plugs in the center dash behind the stereo. I have a lot to fix inside but I needed a new project. I just hate waiting for a not so cold day to do things. I think most of the parts I'm going to order will come from the dealer so lets hope they can get my order prioritized above anyone else, j/k he he. I would paint a kick panel to see how it turns out and if you don't like it you can always stop there and get different colored panels. I too have brown interior but don't mind the color as much so if you want to get rid of yours let me know. I might be interested.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

7...I am going to do an 88 4runner this summer. White body/Red interior. Mine was a one owner until the son got ahold of it. I am going to start a thread on it soon. It has a one big dent in the side and some small ones. The bumper will need replaced. I didnt get my fuel pump today. Mine was missing a fuel tank and my replacement was really rusted. I cleaned it out and am waiting for it to dry so that I can line it with Red Kote. If I switch interiors, I will let you know. I dont throw away repairable parts. They are getting hard to get a hold of. It would be this summer. You doing your 85 or 93? Like to see a build thread on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM

Well, my flywheel finally came, so now it's off to the shop to have the new clutch installed. I hate waiting on parts...I just want it done.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

You off to your shop or sending it to a shop? A two wheel drive tranny is light. Its not to bad to install. I might get to put a new throw out bearing in mine. I just did it a while ago, but when it is cold or periodically it squeals. When I put the clutch in, it will stop. It was a new part too. I sure dont care for having to redo work, I try to get it the first time. That will wait til summer unless it does it all of the time.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 AM

You off to your shop or sending it to a shop? A two wheel drive tranny is light. Its not to bad to install. I might get to put a new throw out bearing in mine. I just did it a while ago, but when it is cold or periodically it squeals. When I put the clutch in, it will stop. It was a new part too. I sure dont care for having to redo work, I try to get it the first time. That will wait til summer unless it does it all of the time.
Unfortunately I don't have the space or tools to do the job...I've seen it done before and it looks fairly simple though. I've got a buddy that has a shop and he's only charging me $200 to install it.

My clutch makes all sorts of squeals and noise in the morning. It gets quieter as it warms up, but I can still hear that sound like your brakes make when they're about metal to metal when I push the pedal in.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:13 PM

My clutch made the same squeal, was the pivot pin on the clutch way up in the dash. Sprayed some silicon spray on it and it cleared right up.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by se7enine
My clutch made the same squeal, was the pivot pin on the clutch way up in the dash. Sprayed some silicon spray on it and it cleared right up.
Pivot pin? For the speedo cable? Naw...it's the clutch. There are other noticeable issues. Like if I'm going down a hill at 35 in 3rd gear, no acceleration, for about a 1/4 mile, as soon as I get to the bottom of the hill, stop, then go again, my truck will start jerking as I accelerate through the gears.

I do need my speedo cable replaced though...I have a bouncy needle
Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM

yeah at the top of the clutch pedal there is a pin that the pedal pivots on, that's what was squealing on my truck. I don't like replacing the speedo cable, did that before.
I should start a thread for my 85, It will be nice to look at the then and now as I fix it up.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

e7enine..That is one regret I have is not starting a thread to see where I was at and to how it sended up. You can use the picture also for refernce to put things back togehter. I am taking pictures now and will be getting them on here in the next few days. Start a thread, I would like to follow.

Josh.. let us know when you get your truck back and how it turns out.

Im hearing gas could be $4 or more a gallon this summer. If that is so, it will put a damper on my summer, but I am going to find away to get my 88 4Runner going and get my 87 Flatbed even more efficient for work. Se7enine.. I see you have a k&n on yours, did that help you any? I am going to search on here for more tips for better mileage. I have my motor in tip top shape and put a 5 speed in it. Other than having to keep the heavy foot off of the pedal and slowing down, not sure what else I could do. You find out anything let us know.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Well, I dropped the truck off this morning to get the clutch done..should have it back by the end of the day..I can't wait. I'm actually excited about it. It'll almost be like having a new truck.

I'll report back tomorrow about how it drives. Got an Exedy clutch...was tempted to get a stage 1 clutch but I decided not to until I get to the performance stage...gives me a little more time to do some research on what'll be the best setup for me.

Last edited by JoshToy84; 01-10-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM

It was hard to tell how much the K&N actually affected my mpg because I did plugs and wires and such but I would say it maybe helped gain about 3-5 more mpg's. Worth the price in the long run.

Quick Reply: My 84 Pickup Restoration