84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Manual vs Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual vs Auto

I'm new around here. I'm looking to sell my stock 85' regular cab long bed and get another 4runner so can take the whole family in the hills. I've always driven manuals. I got my eye on a very well built 85' 4runner already set up. My only hesitation it is a automatic. I'm told it has a trans cooler on it.

What do you guys think about Auto's? Is it hard to get a manual in there?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

It comes down to what you like!!

If your getting into serious off roading or the wife drives the vehicle automatic might be the way to go.

In off roading unless your running a double case it gets very hard on the Clutch.

I like a manual for Daily driving only because I like the idea of being able to push in the clutch when things gets nasty.

Swapping a 5 speed and case in can be done lots of labor but not real hard if you have decent mechanical skills.. Easy way is to buy the whole parts vehicle and have it sit close by to save numerous trips hunting things.

Best to buy one the way you want.

Good Luck and Welcome.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 PM

i did the auto to manual swap in my 88 3vze and i love the manual. But seeing that rig i'd buy it just because it looks badass. You can live with an auto, and always swap to a manual. The swap is easy and affordable, im 16 and did it all myself, minus the help with moving the tranny and motorcycle jack around.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

That's a sweet looking 4Runner. Like said above, if you will use it mostly off road, you'll probably love the auto. For daily driving, the manual would probably be better. Just my opinion.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:42 PM

i love my manual for offroading, but there are no rocks here in fl, just mild trails and sand, and ugh mud.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

:wabbit2:
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I'll use it for off-road with my family for day trips and for my 7 mile commute into town everyday. I'm in Montana. Every vehicle my wife and I own are manuals. We currently have an 84' and an 85' Toyota pickups, a TDI wagon and a crew cab 3/4 ton Chevy with a Fourwheel camper on the back. We spend a lot of time in the mountains.
I really never even considered an automatic till I saw the listing for the 4runner in question. I guess I was always under the impression that a 4 banger with an automatic would just be a dog. But I guess it all has to do with gearing.
I'm torn.....
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Oh man a 4cylinder with an auto..hmm.i dont own a 22re but my 2rz taco is a stick and it has plenty power. Id buy the runner because its so awesome. swapp the auto out if you decide it sucks.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Geared right I would take the auto any day over the manual, I had an auto in my blazer and it was real nice on some rock wheeling. I'm sure if the manual is set up correctly it would be nice but for some major crawling madness auto all the way.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM

I bet an auto for the rocks is the best, itd be easy just plow the right foot. For trails though i personally like the 5spd, i had an auto and it was ok but the auto with the 3vze sucks, it does what it wants not what i want.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM

im not too experienced in off roading but i have done some dirt trails and mudding last week with my 3rz 5 speed and my brother in his gmc sierra automatic and i had alot less trouble going through the mud then he did since he kept spinning his tires while i just floored the clutch and eased up on it to keep moving.
Personally i will always prefer the 5 speed just because it feels like I gots alot more control of my truck and how much power i want on the wheels as appose to the auto.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Contributing Member

That's funny that I happened across this thread... I actually bought the truck in the photo up top. Hahaha. If it makes you feel any better, the transmission pretty much died by the time I got it back to SoCal. I picked up another tranny and tcase from someone on CL and will be installing it in the coming weeks.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
That's funny that I happened across this thread... I actually bought the truck in the photo up top. Hahaha. If it makes you feel any better, the transmission pretty much died by the time I got it back to SoCal. I picked up another tranny and tcase from someone on CL and will be installing it in the coming weeks.
Mine's on its way out too. Can I use any year W56 tranny or will the later 90s one won't work because of different wiring connectors? Let me know how your swap goes.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can use any year w56. I'd look for a w56 A or B though. The w56C and newer have a forward shift tcase instead of top shift like the older models.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 AM

BUY IT!!!! If the rest looks as good as the exterior I wouldn't hesitate. Like the others said, if you drive it for a while and don't like the auto then you can do a swap. At least you'll have the option. You're not gonna find many rigs like that anymore.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM

Love my auto for off roading. Plus anyone can drive an auto. If you get hurt and need another driver. Good luck if it's manual and your the only one that can drive it. Also give it a try, don't follow what everyone says without trying yourself and if you hate it a manual swap with dual cases doesn't cost to much. The runner looks clean tho
Old 08-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Got a different one....

Well after searching for a while, I finally found an unmolested 85'. Priced right at $2k, minimal rust, body has a couple of dings but the interior is in good shape. I love not having carpet in this one. I'm bummed it doesn't have the display clock, split rear seat and the corner triangle windows up front(my wife hates them). All and all, I'm really stoked with this purchase. I can mod it how I want, not someone else's dream.

Now I need to swap the tires out from my 85' truck, try like hell to find a Canback topper, bumpers, winch, maybe an OME lift, lockers down the road.

Anyone ever swap out the rear bench seat with a split from an SR5 or DLX model?

Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like a good buy chicken hawk.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by donomite49
looks like a good buy chicken hawk.
Thanks. I'm glad I end up with this one. I forgot to mention that it is had a decent exhaust leak. Now I'm beating my self up as to buy a LCE header and replace the whole thing or just swap out the ruined portion.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw a header on a Runner at the Pullapart yesterday. Seemed like either a stainless or shiny coated header, though I didn't see a brand on it. Ans Swimmerboy2112 had a tan Canback for sale in classifieds. And Killertoytops is back at it again also.

Good looking Runner, btw. I would much rather take same path as you, buy one stock and build it like you want it.

Quick Reply: Manual vs Auto