84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Long bed bed replacement

Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long bed bed replacement

Had been looking for a camping/expedition/adventure Toyota 4x4 for a long time in my price range and found one. I wanted the solid axle and saw an 84 for sale. Ended up buying it and the rust on the bed is pretty bad. The outsides are rusted through and the floor of the bed has holes in it.

I plan on getting a new bed for it as repairing it seems a bit extensive.

I like the look of the "Japanese" bed off the 2wd trucks but they are missing the 4x4 flares unfortunately.

I have found a short bed at a local junkyard off a 2wd extended cab and I'm wondering if this would bolt on. I have heard different things saying this or that won't work.

I didn't see any answers to these questions when I searched so thanks for the help.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
You have your truck measure the distance and locations of the bed mounts

Look at the short bed see if the bed mounts are in the same places .

If not it is not that hard to make new ones or move them the critical part is the location of the gas tank filler neck

I have never compared the two beds I have heard both versions the mounts line up and you need to move them??

Measure yourself then your sure
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 AM

Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you, I have an 85 4x4 longbed and I bought a 85 2wd short bed pickup for parts. I learned a few things so far going into this project and one is a short bed off a 2wd will not bolt up to your lwb truck. There is an extra 6" or so of extra frame on a lwb pickup and its extended behind the cab not behind the bed, so if you do try to mount the bed you will have a gap between the bed and cab.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
You have your truck measure the distance and locations of the bed mounts

Look at the short bed see if the bed mounts are in the same places .

If not it is not that hard to make new ones or move them the critical part is the location of the gas tank filler neck

I have never compared the two beds I have heard both versions the mounts line up and you need to move them??

Measure yourself then your sure
Thanks for the response. The truck is actually at the parents house which is about 500 miles away. I bought it when I went up north for a trip.

Obviously I realize I can measure the location of the bed mounts but I figured there had to be someone on here who had done it or had the same questions as me.

Originally Posted by bccooper
Unfortunately I am in the same boat as you, I have an 85 4x4 longbed and I bought a 85 2wd short bed pickup for parts. I learned a few things so far going into this project and one is a short bed off a 2wd will not bolt up to your lwb truck. There is an extra 6" or so of extra frame on a lwb pickup and its extended behind the cab not behind the bed, so if you do try to mount the bed you will have a gap between the bed and cab.
Perfect. Thank you so much for letting me know that. I will source a long bed and call it a day. You saved me some time and measurements.