84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question

As part of my fix up, prior to sale, of my ‘84 I need to replace the windshield. I’ve read conflicting messages here regarding windshield gaskets. Some posts say there is, or was, a gasket, others say there weren’t or aren’t. My questions are:
Is there a definitive answer to this?
Is goop OK to use on a windshield that originally had a gasket?

Also

Where is the best place to get single pieces of chrome trim (upper corner driver’s side to be specific)?

BTW, I’ve never liked using goop on any part of a car. I try to lead a goop free life.

Thank you
Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Nuthin? Someone must have some definitive info on this.

Last edited by L5wolvesf; 03-26-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Nuthin? Someone must have some definitive info on this.
i used goop on my 4Runner 2 years ago. Holding up great so far.. I too try to live a goop free life lol but couldn't find a gasket. Just used standard urethane. As for the window trim, I do not know and would like to hear if there is somewhere to get those.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Petty sure windshield trim is out of production and no aftermarket support, so you'd be looking at used oem parts. I have some parts and such, I'd have to dig one up and see what kind of shape it's in. Do you mind painted as long as the metal is in good shape? I seem to run across a lot of camo painted trucks when I get them for parts, also the base (non-chrome package) trucks sometimes came with black painted trim on top of the chrome. You just need the one corner?

From my understanding, windshields should be "gooped", maybe back in the 80's a gasket was acceptable, but today's standards are to keep the windshield attached to the body, so your body can't fly out if you're not wearing a seat belt. For the side windows and rear window, it's a gasket and the way it's made, pretty sure you couldn't goop them if you wanted to since the window isn't large enough for the hole to be glued in. I do know the glue that's used for windshields is some special stuff and is kind of expensive (like $20 a tube). I have a local glass and windshield shop I use to reseal or replace windshields. New window + install at my house was $165 for a Camry and I live around 25 mins from town. The "retail" price was $360 till we talked to the owner/manager (my dad's sent him a lot of business so special discount I guess).

@Shagool22

What window trim parts do you need? The top/bottom are the hardest to ship due to the arch and length, but the rest isn't bad.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atcfixer
@Shagool22

What window trim parts do you need? The top/bottom are the hardest to ship due to the arch and length, but the rest isn't bad.
My 85 pickup I need the passenger corners and side piece.
My 87 4Runner needs the whole shabang. (Previous owner must've taken it off)
Old 03-26-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Shagool22
i used goop on my 4Runner 2 years ago. Holding up great so far.. I too try to live a goop free life lol but couldn't find a gasket. Just used standard urethane. As for the window trim, I do not know and would like to hear if there is somewhere to get those.
Good to know - thanks.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM

Petty sure windshield trim is out of production and no aftermarket support, so you'd be looking at used oem parts. I have some parts and such, I'd have to dig one up and see what kind of shape it's in. Do you mind painted as long as the metal is in good shape? I seem to run across a lot of camo painted trucks when I get them for parts, also the base (non-chrome package) trucks sometimes came with black painted trim on top of the chrome. You just need the one corner?

From my understanding, windshields should be "gooped", maybe back in the 80's a gasket was acceptable, but today's standards are to keep the windshield attached to the body, so your body can't fly out if you're not wearing a seat belt. For the side windows and rear window, it's a gasket and the way it's made, pretty sure you couldn't goop them if you wanted to since the window isn't large enough for the hole to be glued in. I do know the glue that's used for windshields is some special stuff and is kind of expensive (like $20 a tube). I have a local glass and windshield shop I use to reseal or replace windshields. New window + install at my house was $165 for a Camry and I live around 25 mins from town. The "retail" price was $360 till we talked to the owner/manager (my dad's sent him a lot of business so special discount I guess).
OK, looks like it will be gooped. Thanks for the 411.

I don't mind painted trim. Since it will all be off I'll paint it all black. If you have a driver's upper corner let me know how much via PM. Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 07:16 PM

Camera wasn't too happy taking it out in the rain lol, focus is a little off on some of the pics. Anyway, first pic is driver's side upper corner, 2nd pick is passenger side corners, and last pic is the passenger side uprights (both are factory black, one just has the paint pealed off most of it, chrome one appears to have a slight bend on the right side too). Do you need the clips for the side trim L5wolvesf? Last pics of the trucks were my attempt at getting "ok" pics in the dark and mist lol. White/red truck was a base model, so orig black trim with paint pealing off and the all red truck actually had the chrome package so it's oem chrome trim which looked to be in great shape when I checked it out. I'll shoot you both pms, just can't send photos in pms sadly.
Attached Thumbnails To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question-dscn4021.jpg   To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question-dscn4024.jpg   To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question-dscn4025.jpg   To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question-dscn4015.jpg   To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question-dscn4017.jpg  

To Gasket Or To Goop That Is My Windshield Question-dscn4018.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Camera wasn't too happy taking it out in the rain lol, focus is a little off on some of the pics. Anyway, first pic is driver's side upper corner, 2nd pick is passenger side corners, and last pic is the passenger side uprights (both are factory black, one just has the paint pealed off most of it, chrome one appears to have a slight bend on the right side too). Do you need the clips for the side trim L5wolvesf? Last pics of the trucks were my attempt at getting "ok" pics in the dark and mist lol. White/red truck was a base model, so orig black trim with paint pealing off and the all red truck actually had the chrome package so it's oem chrome trim which looked to be in great shape when I checked it out. I'll shoot you both pms, just can't send photos in pms sadly.
PM replied to and paid for trim piece. Thank you
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM

Not a prob, thanks for the smooth transaction. If you ever want any Michigan infested parts (our surplus of rust) , shoot me a pm .
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM

Not a prob, thanks for the smooth transaction. If you ever want any Michigan infested parts (our surplus of rust) , shoot me a pm .
Hey ATC got the trim piece just now. Looks/fits great - many thanks. XLNT doing business with you.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It seems all the glass shops just use what there brand of adhesive is

They don`t waste time trying to find a gasket

Thinking about this a windshield was done on my 85 Celica longer then 10 years that way
Old 03-31-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It seems all the glass shops just use what there brand of adhesive is

They don`t waste time trying to find a gasket

Thinking about this a windshield was done on my 85 Celica longer then 10 years that way
Thanks W - It looks like I'll be gooping it.