84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Free Wheel Hub Ring Pits

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free Wheel Hub Ring Pits

Going through my hubs after outer wheel bearing went bad. There's some interesting pits on the inner surface of one of the hub rings(see picture). The hub ring from the other side doesn't have these pits. I found a picture somebody else posted online with exactly the same pitting but it wasn't mentioned. Is this a common form of damage? Seems like it's not ideal to have the inner hub riding against this kind of surface. Thanks for any insight!''
Attached Thumbnails Free Wheel Hub Ring Pits-hub-ring-damage.jpg  
Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
I don't think it is damage, the pits are designed to retain grease. They were manufactured that way.

I don't know why the other one doesn't have them. Maybe an inferior replacement. In any case, don't worry about their presence , or lack thereof. Just grease 'em up and reinstall 'em.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
I don't think it is damage, the pits are designed to retain grease. They were manufactured that way.

I don't know why the other one doesn't have them. Maybe an inferior replacement. In any case, don't worry about their presence , or lack thereof. Just grease 'em up and reinstall 'em.
Yeah, other one is completely smooth. Thanks for the info, good to know!