84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Dr.Trevorkian's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr.Trevorkian's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

I bought this beauty in February of 07, so now that it has been almost a year I figure its high time I put some progress pictures up before I lose them. Here she is the day I brought her home

gotta love those running boards!

First thing I did was put on some 31" Baja Claws, and let me tell you these things are amazing! They have half the road noise of the BFG MTs on my Bronco, and they do much better off road, and even now on icy roads they are really impressive, for mud tires that is.

And I got some pins so I can take the doors off in 2 min or less.

I bought the Yota to replace my Broncosaurus because frankly it's just too damn big! 10 mpg gets old real fast, and it was too wide for the woods, and it has IFS, while probably one of the best and most durable IFS systems, it wasn't what I wanted. The Yota gets over twice the gas mileage, cost me less than half and overall much higher quality.

Anyway the 4Runner is sweet because it too has a removable top and I wanted to make a soft top for it so I could still put a bike in the back, I came up with the idea of using part of the factory top so i still had glass windows in the back because that clear vinyl blows, and at the same time I wouldnt need to make as much of a supporting frame. So a few more shots of tequila later and the sawzall came out and I ended up with this

I ran it that way, open to the elements until it started snowing, rain wasn't bad because it dries out on its own, anyway you flip the seats forward and they stay dry just fine, but the damn snow blows in and covers the dash and just STAYS there! It was time to make the soft top, but first I needed to make some supportive ribs out of aluminum and a trailing edge that the canvas could snap to. Well that was a beast because the top is rounded and aluminum was flat, so lots of custom grinding and cutting needed, but I ended up riveting a piece of angle aluminum along the upright part of the top. Then I cut a lumber cover to fit and duct taped it on for now, still have it that way actually. Who needs to pay $50 grand for an Escalade or Chev Avalanche when I can cut a 4Runner to look JUST like it?

Oh yeah and I painted it a sort of desert camo, for several reasons. It's easy to find in the parking lot now, also I'm moving to Phoenix AZ (let me know if you're in the area, I'd like to run some trails and am also looking for a place to store my doors for the 2 months) at the end of March '08 for 2 months of flight school and then to Daytona Beach FL for more flight training, so i wanted something to reflect some of the sun's rays, also it helps hide some of the rust holes. I put the first coat on with a roller believe it or not. I didnt really do anything but pressure wash it to prep for the paint, and I've run it through some heavy underbrush and it hasn't all scraped off so I'm pretty happy.

I think this is pretty interesting too, damage so far:

lower bumper valance gone
all four plastic pieces on front and rear bumpers gone
both marker lights broken out
bent the tie rod that connects both steering knuckles (replaced with heavy duty version from Marlin Crawler)
tore the exhaust off once
rear bumper bent up pretty steeply on one side

Last edited by Dr.Trevorkian; 01-22-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:50 PM

nice keep up the good work
Old 01-07-2008, 09:15 PM

VERY nice! Im loving that half hard top. Can you take a picture from the back of the runner? I would like to see how you attatched the soft top to the floor.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Nice write up. Are you into streetfighters too?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I need an 84 Runner, too.
Did yotas have 5 speeds in 84? I've never been in one or know anyone that has had an 84.

Last edited by phildelfino; 01-08-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 AM

Yeah I'm a motorcycle freak, I have a daily driver Yamaha 850 triple, the 03 Kawasaki KX 125 with ice tires ~900 studs, and the blue 91 CBR that I cartwheeled at 110 miles per hour and rebuilt into a streetfighter although the charging system is still messed up, just put a 520 chain kit on it and I can't even ride it

Yeah my 84 has a 5spd, can't imagine a slushbox robbing the little bit of horse power I have to work with already!

Yeah, she's got AC power in the cabin, no big deal...

Last edited by Dr.Trevorkian; 01-22-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:31 PM

Well I finally got a real soft top made, now the only way the elements get in is through the holes in my rear fenders Had it made at Oshkosh Tent and Awning, http://www.otainc.com/ a local company for me that helps support my University's Athletic department so I thought I'd return the favor and give them my business. They did a great job, there is velcro between the snaps, there are NO zippers by choice, there is a piece of aluminum sewn into a sleeve beneath the rear window to give it some structure, it is open on one end so I can remove if I ever felt so inclined. The leading edge has what's called a 555 rail, it's basically a slide in rail so that the front is firmly attached so no wind can get under it and rip the top off. Best part is it's made in 2 panels so I can leave the roof part over the rear seat to provide some shade for passengers, I can take the back window and 'trunk' cover for that nice open air feeling. The whole thing cost me $300 bucks, plus the cost of the supports which was maybe $20.

As you can see in the last photo the first supporting rib jumped out of its hole, I need to come up with a way to lock the pins in the hole now I guess.

I attached a mirror from a 2007 Kawasaki ZX6R directly to the fender so I can take the doors off and still have mirrors on. I also cut a notch out of the door so my pins for the hinges can drop straight down in. Before I had to bring them up from the bottom and then put a cross clip to keep them from falling out. It was usually a PITA to get the little clip out then, so this is much simpler, I like simple.

I have her in the garage now for a timing chain kit, and birfield and inner axle seal replacement, so surely I'll be on here a couple times a day with questions.

Last edited by Dr.Trevorkian; 03-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Last picture taken of her in Wisconsin:

In Arizona:

MEXICO!

And finally Florida:

Last picture is when I moved from Arizona to Florida, I had everything I owned in the back including my motorcycle.

Last edited by Dr.Trevorkian; 12-22-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
very interesting idea on your top, original and very functional --I like it.
Runner looks like she hasn't let you down...
Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 PM

x2 on the soft top. Clever!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:51 AM

Looks like a military humve version of a 4 runner with the cut top and the soft top combo. I really like that, might go that route myself.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:58 AM

Awsome Runner man. i'm a little jelous i dont got a 4runner now cause if i did i could do something like that. lol.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:09 PM

Old 03-06-2009, 05:30 AM

Hey all, if you were to throw out some numbers, what do you think my 4Runner might be worth? I've been entertaining the idea of selling her for a 90s yota 2wd. Everything works but the horn, 211,xxx miles, about half tread on the baja claws, no leaks or burning of oil.

Last edited by Dr.Trevorkian; 03-06-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM

Just saw this thread. I really like the Runner! Don't sell her
Old 08-13-2009, 12:01 PM

just checked the thread for the first time in ages and none of the pictures are showing up, anyone else see them?

Also now it is officially for sale and I am in the market for a T100
Old 08-13-2009, 12:07 PM

I see a few, but most are unavailable
Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM

Hey, I went to Vero Beach High School, class of 03. Why would you want to move there? Definitely no rock crawling.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM

fix pictures!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldgold3vze
Hey, I went to Vero Beach High School, class of 03. Why would you want to move there? Definitely no rock crawling.
I work for FlightSafety Academy, I get to fly airplanes everyday, life is good, and I especially love the beach.

Not sure what is up with the pictures, my computer crashed so I don't even have most of those pictures anymore.

Quick Reply: Dr.Trevorkian's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread