84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Did I pay too much? "RARE SR5 INTERIOR"

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I pay too much? "RARE SR5 INTERIOR"

Hey guys, so I've been wrenching on toyotas for about 12 years now and would say im a toyota nut. I have built, parted, wheeled, and daily driven 1st gen 4runners since i bought my first one at 19 and fell in love with them. I have always loved the "Vertigo SR5" printed seats and thought i have to have this package one day! But I have only seen about three pickups/runners that had them in the time I've been involved with them. I was browsing Ebay and stumbled upon a near complete sr5 interior from an '85 4runner. The sellers starting bid was a little high already at $750 + 250 shipping from New York, Im in California. We spoke for a bit and agreed on $875 total price with shipping for what he had. Although Im super excited to finally get my hands on these rare seats, I cant help but wonder... Did I pay too much? Id like to hear your thoughts on this, what you might pay and what history you may know about these seats.
Heres a link to the ended ebay listing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-89-Toyota...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you feel you paid to much then you did .

I paid less then that for my last 4x4 that I drive every day
Old 08-31-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

I get that stock, rare, original, or mint condition interior is not important to everyone. Some people use and abuse their 4runners and pickups on the trails or use them for hunting. Thats awesome, I have an 84 I beat on and quite frankly $875.00 could go to much more useful performance upgrades. But in this case I plan on using this interior for a 4runner I am completely restoring to bone stock. I read a post where a guy stated there were only 10,000 seats like these made. Half of them being brown and the other half being gray. Out of those 5000 gray seats 1/2 went into trucks and the other half went into 4runners. And the same for the brown seats. How true this is I have no clue and really don't know where to even try and find out if it is true. I do know In the 9 years I have been buying selling and parting out 4runners this is the first chance I have had at getting my hands on these seats, in this condition. Other than buying a complete truck that already had the interior like this in it. So with that being said, of course I would have loved to have scored these seats for less, who doesn't like saving money? But I didn't mind paying what I did to get the seats I really wanted for the restoration project I am working on. I just hope Im not being delusional about just how rare these seats are.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
They aren't common, especially in good shape. If you are doing a restoration that needed the parts than you got a good deal.
some will think you were nuts, who cares as long as you walk away happy. You obviously have been looking and these don't pip up often
Old 08-31-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Originally Posted by dropzone
They aren't common, especially in good shape. If you are doing a restoration that needed the parts than you got a good deal.
some will think you were nuts, who cares as long as you walk away happy. You obviously have been looking and these don't pip up often
Both are valid points. The question that came to my mind was - Could you have had the interior done new, with the Vertigo pattern, at an upholstery shop? You may have paid the same in the end but it would be new materials.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Both are valid points. The question that came to my mind was - Could you have had the interior done new, with the Vertigo pattern, at an upholstery shop? You may have paid the same in the end but it would be new materials.
Well New would be nice, could add newer foam as well but finding the SR5 pattern material would be near impossible. I believe the SR5 pattern you see is stiched not printed. So having an upholstery shop make that from scratch would probably kill the deal.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ I agree,
If your happy, that's all that matters. They are already getting hard to find, price is just going to go up as time goes by.
I would love to have the front seats and door panels in my SR5 pickup.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the truck is finished, and you sit in it, you'll be damn glad you got what YOU wanted.. as far as price goes, yeah that's pretty high, but if you're putting it into a truck that is going to look mint, you could be creating value. That's one thing about these rigs... They ain't getting any cheaper!!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 PM

If you love what you bought then you did not pay too much.

I bought my 85 4runner for 2,200 and it had brand new tires on it. Turns out the guy inherited his mom's 86 4runner and wanted it pure stock so he switch the tires his mom bought before giving it to him - which I got. Those were 1000 tires so I got the 4 runner for basically 1200.

After this final auto to 5 spd swap and 3 years later I have spent about 3500 more, which included a new engine.

Costing this total of 4700 it will cost me about 80 a month to own over 5 years. As it is now some 130.00 a month @ 3 years ownership.

Expensing the cost you spend improving your truck over the time you use it makes it incredibly cheap to own and wel lthe benefits we all understand!

Tell me what better car you can get for that type of cost?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
When the truck is finished, and you sit in it, you'll be damn glad you got what YOU wanted.. as far as price goes, yeah that's pretty high, but if you're putting it into a truck that is going to look mint, you could be creating value. That's one thing about these rigs... They ain't getting any cheaper!!
They have been going up in value but It seems like it is taking a while compared to fj60's. As if overnight they shot up in value, can't seem to find one for less than 4K unless it's just really gone and incomplete. I do feel more comfortable about purchases like this though because I know no matter what the price will not drop. So many people love toyota 4x4's and the more time that passes the harder they will be to find complete or in good conditon.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
^^ Exactly! Plus, getting an interior custom-made to look just look like the original "SR5" print would be many times more expensive (at least for a quality job).
This purchase may sting initially, but I think you will be glad you went for it! That feeling you get when you drive it after restoration will be completely worth it! Now you will need to show us pictures of your truck!

Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
^^ Exactly! Plus, getting an interior custom-made to look just look like the original "SR5" print would be many times more expensive (at least for a quality job).
This purchase may sting initially, but I think you will be glad you went for it! That feeling you get when you drive it after restoration will be completely worth it! Now you will need to show us pictures of your truck!

Thanks for the support guys! Yeah I feel like it's less special if it was reproduced. Just like I hate using aftermarket parts for my yota. Only genuine toyota parts . I will definitely put up a build thread and include lots of pictures along the way.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4-runner
Thanks for the support guys! Yeah I feel like it's less special if it was reproduced. Just like I hate using aftermarket parts for my yota. Only genuine toyota parts . I will definitely put up a build thread and include lots of pictures along the way.
I totally admire you purist attitude. It is nice to see on a restoration and can totally appreciate it. Finding the period correct part is part of the fun (sometimes frustration) of doing a restoration.

I am sort of the on the other side of the coin, I have never been afraid to mix & match, cut and modify. I had some interesting messages when I lifted and started to wheel my 1 of 1200 Toyota Trekkers and a couple more when I made the decision to bob the bed

In the end it is all about the owner being happy with how stuff turned out
Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 PM

I totally admire you purist attitude. It is nice to see on a restoration and can totally appreciate it. Finding the period correct part is part of the fun (sometimes frustration) of doing a restoration.

I am sort of the on the other side of the coin, I have never been afraid to mix & match, cut and modify. I had some interesting messages when I lifted and started to wheel my 1 of 1200 Toyota Trekkers and a couple more when I made the decision to bob the bed

In the end it is all about the owner being happy with how stuff turned out
Its funny, I look at old yotas that are in perfect condition with brand new paint wheels and tires and I think man thats a clean looking truck. Its nice that after all these years its still in such great condition. At the same time theres just something I love about a beat up old toyota. Faded or multiple color body panels and dented fenders. Being pushed to the limits and proving there worthiness on trails Japanese engineers could never imagine possible in 1985.
To scour the junk yards and craigslist for that special part you need has been very addicting for me, the thrill of the search I suppose. Even if I don't need a part if its a good deal ill usually pick it up for a future project or resell it later on.
I looked over your build and think its pretty cool you have a trekker as a trail rig, It has character and style. I know you mentioned your interior was already thrashed and maybe thats what pushed you to go the route you did with it. This will be my first restoration, I have never had a truck or 4runner I can say was "cherried". Im a little jealous when I see people with nice original trucks with factory stripes and SR5 interior and they decide to beat the hell out of it. Why couldn't you have started with a rig that was already beat up or a base model! But usually they start off doing mild wheeling, get hooked and go all in after that. By that time they've dumped money into it for upgrades and there is no reason to buy another truck when you already have a perfectly good one to build up. So being as indecisive as I am I now own a 1984 4runner,1985 4runner, 1983 sr5 short bed, 1986 ext. cab, and 1984 single cab. I have different build plans for all of them and hopefully ill be able to achieve that in my life time. So no matter which side you take I think these old toyotas are cool as hell and ill always love them beat up or cherried.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The prices of old Toyota 4 x 4's are climbing. I am a big fan of the first-generation 4runner too. Recently I looked in carsforsale.com and saw seven first gens, five of which were priced over $10,000. One seller with an Extremely low mileage 4runner was asking over $25,000! When TLC or ICON get done restoring a Land Cruiser they sell for $150,000! That outfit in Wyoming that restores Dodge power wagons gets over $200,000. So is a few hundred dollars spent on a vintage 4runner too much. Not from my perspective!

BTW - I'm always on the lookout for early '90s Celica ST seats. These were in my 1984 Xtra Cab. I am now running them in my 89 4runner.

Last edited by wrenchtech; 09-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.