84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Destroyed the Lock Right auto locker

Old 12-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Destroyed the Lock Right auto locker

When I purchased the Lock Right last winter, I knew it wasn't going to last forever but, I was really hoping for more than one year out of it but, no. It is broken and useless as tits on a bull which was kind of embarrassing with me trying to get out of a snowy & iced up driveway one legging it.

She's getting new gears too, 4:88s are going in.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Whats wrong with it? I cant tell by the pic...
Old 12-27-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by offroadnutz
Whats wrong with it? I cant tell by the pic...
Look under the spring where one of the 4 external breaks are, I can only imagine how the inside looks. I sent it to a friend's place up in Frazier Park to be dealt with, I get to see it after dude does his work.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just blew one of these in the front of my truck. Unfortunately I think the ring and pinion went with it. There was so much shock from the locker breaking i busted a hub too. In the snow of all places lol lets just say i'm lucky I invested in a winch.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:48 PM

Almost all back together again only needing to put 3 more brake lines back & bleed them out and hook up driveshafts then fill diffs with gear oil and go see what this is all about.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:16 PM

She is all together again and I am breaking in the new gears according to the instructions, I had to learn how to read them though. Instructions are not usually required for men but, this time I had to cave due to my inability to afford new gears if I break them.
What a difference in performance, she can cruise at 45 mph in 5th gear and not bog down. I know gas mileage will suck on the freeway but, that is not where she will spend her time in gear, off road is where we want to be.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sucks, I ran one for years still have diff as a spare. Space between locker halves looks a bit much. Like gears setup makes all the difference.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:59 PM

What's worse than your locker breaking and one legging it?

What's worse than your locker breaking and one legging it?
Having the transmission take a dump on the way to wheeling and getting stuck on the side of a freeway waiting for AAA to arrive and then take you 3 hours out of the way before finally dropping my vehicle at my house.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
3 hours out of the way? Did they make another stop after they picked up your ride?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
3 hours out of the way? Did they make another stop after they picked up your ride?
Yes they did trying to get another vehicle going to LA to make the trip worth while and the 1st two vehicles were not dragable with my rig on the flatbed.
The 3rd vehicle was suffering major electrical issues so it could be towed behind and that is why it took 3 hours.
I did get dropped off 1st and after all that, I sat home on New Year's Day with my thumb up my ass.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:08 PM

I might call AAA and give them some feedback. Couldn't hurt. Sucks your rig is down. I'm getting ready to tow mine to a shop so hopefully I can get mine up and running.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I might call AAA and give them some feedback. Couldn't hurt. Sucks your rig is down. I'm getting ready to tow mine to a shop so hopefully I can get mine up and running.
My rig will be back on the trail quickly, I just need a few hundred bucks to buy the transmission and it'll be done since I do all of my own mechanicals.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 PM

Yea I try and do all my mechanical. But I am a mental midget when it comes to electrical problems. About ready to rip it apart and just carb the Bastard.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM

I hear you loud & clear.
I'm a motorcycle mechanic that revives vintage Japanese motorcycles and usually only work on late 60s through 1983 air cooled and carbureted Hondas but, today I rode this 98 GSXR 750 that had sat with modern alcohol based gasoline in the tank and system since 2008.
I had to have the tank epoxy lined and then rebuild the fuel pump system after getting it rust free in my ultrasonic cleaner with a secret solution I use.
After getting the fuel system sorted, I got to the F.I. which was clogged badly. I had to replace all 4 injectors because it was cheaper than rebuilding them and then figure out how to make fuel injection work.
Success, the bike runs and I did a nice tire smoking burnout in the driveway.
The problem is, I hated every step of that job because it is too electrical in nature, all the finesse is gone now due to fuel injection. Give me a bank of Kei Hin carbs that have been sitting with fuel in them for ten years and I'll make them work like new but, I have to think above my pay grade to work injection.
It is done and the owner is happy but, I am not taking another injected bike into my garage for any reason other than to put air in a tire.

California doesn't dig people regressing their vehicles, if it was injected, it stays injected or it will not pass smog. I'm thinking about injecting my rig because floats suck ass when the angle dangle is extreme.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 AM

I hear you on floats. I work on single cylinder Honda quad motors. What we do to those motors I doubt we could get the power out of them without a high en FI system that we get with a carb. So much tun-ability and easy to adjust for environmental conditions.

Search this Thread