84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Retaining the chevy ride

Old 01-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retaining the chevy ride

Ok so I'm not happy with the height of the chevy 63 springs I swapped into my truck. My question is if I go to adding leafs how much of the quality ride and flex will be lost and another question is how big of shackles are y'all running I currently have. 6" shackle
Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shackle will depend on where the mount is and desired shackle angle. Ive always gone with the notion of shackle length being close to 10% of the length of the main leaf (actual length, not just eye to eye). Again that will still depend on the placement of the shackle mount on the frame to get the desired shackle angle. On my old chevy that i added 63's i used a 7" shackle (cross-tied for added strength), since i measured the actual length of the main leaf to be about 66-67". On the toyota I was running 6" shackles.

You could also add a cut down overload spring, that will be similar to a 1" block but will still bolt into the leaf spring and wont affect the ride quality. Thats what i would do.

how much extra height were you wanting?

Search this Thread