84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Clutch knocking after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch knocking after replacement

I have recently paid to have my 22r rebuilt and new clutch installed. I replaced the slave cylinder and master cylinder, and there is a awful knocking noise coming from clutch. The noise goes away with higher RPM and also when the clutch is depressed, but at an idle it knocks. Any ideas before I drop the tranny?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Sounds like the clutch release bearing !!

Just a guess did the shop cheap out and use your old one??

It might be anything fly wheel bolt or clutch plate bolt loose

How long ago was this done recent can mean different things to different people.

A few days or a year ago ??

How long before it started knocking after you got it back

Is the starter making any strange noise while cranking ??

Does the transmission go into gear without grinding ??
Old 02-12-2018, 04:31 PM

As far as I can see the motor side is new and the tranny side is old if that makes sense (from peeking thru the window by the slave cylinder)

It has about 30 miles on the rebuild and a couple hours idling trying to narrow down some leaks. Finally thought I had everything dialed and first startup of the morning knocking hard.

Starter sounds great and drives and shifts better than ever.

thanks for the input!!

Old 02-13-2018, 01:04 AM

Im quite sure worn clutch release bearings make noise when they are pressing againts the fingers, (pedal depressed) not when released (at rest).
If the motor was rebuilt, its possible that the thrust bearings are now loose, and now when you push the clutch, it pushes the crankshaft up agaisnt one fact of the thrust bearing and the noise geos away, release the pressure and it jsut slaps around.
Ive had a similar issue in a subaru, but it was the transmission input shaft bearing rather than the engine. I only suggesting engine bearings because youve just had it rebuilt. Rebuilders dont allways know what theyre doing.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
The shop that did the work should back up their work, they build the motor and installed it with a new clutch if I am reading your post right, so take it back to them. Unless it was doing this before they worked on it.
And a throw-out bearing (release bearing) can make noise either when released or when depressed, it depends on the how it fails. Any noise that changes when you press the clutch is usually caused by either the throw-out bearing or pilot bushing (in the center of the flywheel where the transmission input shaft rides) but Thommo's suggestion of crank shaft thrust bearings IS a possibility.
does the noise go away with a very slight pressure on the clutch pedal? if so it is likely the throw-out bearing, possibly the transmission snout that it rides on may be worn down allowing it to rattle. Is this a very rapid knocking, more like a rattle? is it more like a bolt head hitting something on every rotation of the crank shaft?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Thanks thommo! And AK it does stop when the clutch is depressed about 1/4 of the way down. The knock is not a fast ticking more like hitting something in the same spot every revolution. I will be dropping it out next week and will make sure to take pics on what the culprit is. I was hoping this would be a easier fix but at least it’s not the engine knocking!.....yet.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 AM

So, should you original post have read "I paid to have the engine rebuilt then I installed it with a new clutch?"
Old 02-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Exactly. Lesson learned.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:38 PM

Well I had a friend help me drop the tranny quicker than expected. What was the culprit???

Issues found so far

1. One of the two clips holding the fork was missing. Can't find it. Ground to pieces? Lost during rebuild?
2. Five of the six bolts on the flywheel were backed out and one was just tight enough to prevent my fingers from breaking it loose.
3. One of the five bolts on the rear main was backed out.

The good.

new parts were actually used so I didn't get all the way taken, just most of the way.

if you notice anything else obvious don't be afraid to let me know, I'm not the most mechanically inclined (that's why I paid to have it done).
Attached Thumbnails Clutch knocking after replacement-img_0596.jpg   Clutch knocking after replacement-img_0597.jpg   Clutch knocking after replacement-img_0599.jpg   Clutch knocking after replacement-img_0600.jpg   Clutch knocking after replacement-img_0598.jpg  

Old 02-13-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Littlered85
The good.
new parts were actually used so I didn't get all the way taken, just most of the way.
what the heck does that mean? you put a fresh rebuild in with a used clutch?