84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)

Okay, so I found a center console (rear heater) in a junkyard truck.... I have as pictured the heater some the wiring harness (ish) and I took all the lines underneath including the heater valve with the T.

so wiring seems simple enough... get power to the fan that blowes.... I'd really like a wiring diagram of this or what kinda relay/fuses if someone knows.

Also, assuming the blower works. I'm missing a few cosmetics.... the rear portion of the center console. If anyone has one of those laying around that would be awesome....

I've scrolled through a thousand pics on Google, and I cant seem to find a pic or diagram of the heater actually installed....

obviously I need a few more brackets or something but I'm trying to figure out how the console is attacked at the rear....

and ideas are welcome.
for clarification this is and 84 pickup/4runner with an 82 2x4 wiring harness....

Cup holders and air gauge for my lockers... cant think of anything else I need.

What goes in the back and how does the center attach?

Last edited by delmert; 10-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Some pictures. Let me know if you need more and what specifically you need. The holes on top of the heater on the 2 metal brackets are mounting holes for the center council

This is from an 85 SR5 4Runner 5 speed 22re 4wd
Attached Thumbnails Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)-photo293.jpg   Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)-photo678.jpg   Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)-photo826.jpg   Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)-photo616.jpg   Center console heater advice and parts (willing to buy parts)-photo545.jpg  

Old 10-14-2018, 11:02 AM

Still curious on the wiring...
apparently I dont have those brackets on top of my unit for the center console to screw into...
but that makes sense. I'll have to add something.

do you not have any of the trim parts anymore?
also it would be awesome if I could have your vintage # to use at the Toyota dealer to see if they have that trim piece I might just cut a piece of aluminum to fill it
Any ideas on the wiring?

Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 AM

I guess it's this piece. I was gonna put my switch up front
Old 10-14-2018, 11:28 AM

If i jump this with the previous picture showing how i wired the replay it will click... but no fan..

Old 10-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts

You have two three position plugs, H3 and D (not pictured in the screenshot).

H3 pin 1 is ground, H3 pin 2 connects to IGN, H3 pin 3 connects to rb2's 80 amp FL..

D-1 is ground, D-3 is the relay control, D-2 is the switched power.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Oh ya that's awesome. I looked all over for that diagram... so black yellow can go to the fuse box white can go directly to the battery and black white is ground..... then I just need a 3 phase switch that hooks up to that plug so off low and high.

anybody think this thing actually puts out much heat?
everything I've read says no... but I really couldn't see how it could be worse... than not having it... more coolant means more cooling for the motor and more heat for me?

Thats on high air...

Old 10-14-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Mine kicked butt when I had the council switched hooked up. Winter is coming so i should probably hook it back up.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I am debating about throwing a 3rd gen rear heater in my 2nd gen, it mounts under the passenger seat so you still have a useable center console
Old 10-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
I am debating about throwing a 3rd gen rear heater in my 2nd gen, it mounts under the passenger seat so you still have a useable center console
okay, I've gotta know... what are you putting in your center counsels that are so damn important? Maybe it's just me, I went from a single cab to a 4runner. You have space under the rear seats more if you want space in the rear the whole hole of the truck is empty space....
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 PM

Anything bigger than a partially crushed pack of smokes isn't going to fit in the first gen console with the heat option..

I've got a half dozen pens in mine and now it's so full I can not put fuel receipts into it.. Much less a handgun

Anyways I love my rear heater, if you have the rear seats folded forward it acts like a inseat heater and if not it's still a lot of cold air coming from.the rear without on.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Anything bigger than a partially crushed pack of smokes isn't going to fit in the first gen console with the heat option..

I've got a half dozen pens in mine and now it's so full I can not put fuel receipts into it.. Much less a handgun

Anyways I love my rear heater, if you have the rear seats folded forward it acts like a inseat heater and if not it's still a lot of cold air coming from.the rear without on.
that's genius, folding them seats down, I ended up buying an actual switch for it, gonna block off the back (where the switch is suppose to be) and put my switch in the front of the center console. I like the small space in the top of the center console. (Well I think I like it) my phone looks like it will fit perfectly. Hand gun goes on my hip, or it would be between the center console and seat.

currently blowing air and not leaking antifreeze, have not driven it to see if the air is hot, apparently my main heater isnt blowing anymore. Fml.
I'm no professional, but I did wire a 3phase harness into a 4phase switch, (82 has off, high, low) (84 had off, med, high, low).

Old 01-17-2019, 05:51 PM

update on my never ending project, rear heater not hot... main heater blowing again and hot.
does anyone know the proper hook up directions for the rear heater? or better yet the whole thing....
I see my problem, I think im running my heat backwards.

So do I need to come off the bottom of the intake to the heater valve? valve has a t and goes to both heaters, exits both heater into another t and returns to the water pump. (drivers side)
I guess my real question... is the intake manifold where the hot coolant comes from?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by delmert
update on my never ending project, rear heater not hot... main heater blowing again and hot.
does anyone know the proper hook up directions for the rear heater? or better yet the whole thing....
I see my problem, I think im running my heat backwards.

So do I need to come off the bottom of the intake to the heater valve? valve has a t and goes to both heaters, exits both heater into another t and returns to the water pump. (drivers side)
I guess my real question... is the intake manifold where the hot coolant comes from?
yep,supply from intake.

Pretty sure the left one on the firewall in you pic is my return line also.