84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

California registration issues. Anyone experienced anything like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California registration issues. Anyone experienced anything like this?

I recently bought a 1984/86 Toyota Pickup. Reason I say 84/86 is becuase it is a 1984 chassis and motor... with a 1986 cab on it.

I have the title and past registration (which expired in 2004) and I gotta do what I can to get it to pass smog. But Im worried because the title and registration is for a 1984 Toyota pickup but the cab is clearly a 1986. I havent checked the vin on the cab, but im almost certain it doesnt match that of the title.

Anyone know what type of red tape Im looking at fighting to get this thing street worthy again?

Thanks in advance,
-Brian
Old 04-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Subaru4WD
I recently bought a 1984/86 Toyota Pickup. Reason I say 84/86 is becuase it is a 1984 chassis and motor... with a 1986 cab on it.

I have the title and past registration (which expired in 2004) and I gotta do what I can to get it to pass smog. But Im worried because the title and registration is for a 1984 Toyota pickup but the cab is clearly a 1986. I havent checked the vin on the cab, but im almost certain it doesnt match that of the title.

Anyone know what type of red tape Im looking at fighting to get this thing street worthy again?

Thanks in advance,
-Brian
I don't know about the red tape, however one other thing to consider is to check the VIN on the frame. It is located behind the pass front wheel, but before the cab. This way you can see if the cab and frame VIN matches and then you may know which VIN to use!

It is on the outside of the frame rail.

John
Old 04-30-2007, 02:56 PM

Awesome, thanks. I was talking here with some co-workers about that and forgot there is a VIN on the frame. No one here knew where to look, but now I do. As soon as I get home im gonna check that.

-Brian
Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 PM

Awesome, thanks. I was talking here with some co-workers about that and forgot there is a VIN on the frame. No one here knew where to look, but now I do. As soon as I get home im gonna check that.

-Brian
Glad to be of help! Good Luck on your ventures!

John
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

-Brian
THe number on the frame (mid-80s onward) is not the same as the cab VIN (the real VIN number). The frame number is just that, the frame number. Will be something like the VIN, but not exactly the same:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ToyVIN.shtml
Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys for the help.

Luv2 was right. Stamped on the frame was the VIN labeled on my Registration and my Title. I searched the cab, but the VIN plate on the dash was missing. I popped the hood and the vin plate under the hood was missing.

So I searched, and found a label on the door jam in the drivers side door. It said "Vehicle Identification Number" and issued by the State of California, and it had stamped the VIN that was on my title and reg.

So, it looks like most of the red tape has already been taken care of. What a load off my shoulders Now all I have to do is get the damn 22R to idle, and see about passing the sniffer.

-Brian
Old 05-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys for the help.

Luv2 was right. Stamped on the frame was the VIN labeled on my Registration and my Title. I searched the cab, but the VIN plate on the dash was missing. I popped the hood and the vin plate under the hood was missing.

So I searched, and found a label on the door jam in the drivers side door. It said "Vehicle Identification Number" and issued by the State of California, and it had stamped the VIN that was on my title and reg.

So, it looks like most of the red tape has already been taken care of. What a load off my shoulders Now all I have to do is get the damn 22R to idle, and see about passing the sniffer.

-Brian
Wow - looks like someone else already fielded that red tape for you! Nice! Glad to be of help Subaru, let us know if there are any more questions you may have!

This place is a wealth of information and I highly recommend the suggestions that are offered!

John
Old 05-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Im having problems with the truck idling. I think i will just make a new thread about it.

-Brian