84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Blowin' Smoke - 22R Compression Test (video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowin' Smoke - 22R Compression Test (video)

Little background. Truck sat for 9 years in the Rocky Mountains, shipped it to Atlanta, change fluids, tune-up, rebuilt carb, installed rebuilt Marlin tran (G52), new clutch. 1985 22R, 4x4, has 148,000.

So now truck is finally running and I'm using it daily. I've heard Toyota's smoke but I don't remember it having this much smoke (I think blue) when I drove it a decade ago. Oil color is fine, smoke smells like burning oil to me. Definitely have had to add 1/2 quart of oil since a change 3 weeks ago. Don't see any external leaks.

Did a compression test. Here is the video -- spark plugs and results.

Cylinder, 1, 2, 3, 4
Dry, 156, 153, 158, 156
Wet, 186 170 175, 185

Two things. 1. I forgot and did the test cold. 2. Cylinder 1 probably had more oil as I used it to figure out the best way to squirt oil into the cylinders.

Anyone have any thoughts on those results and the smoke problem?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Does it smoke when you crank it up after it has set for a while? Could be valve stem seals dried out. My '79 4x4 smokes like crazy when you first crank it (actually has been mistaken for a mosquito fogging machine) but clears up in a short distance and does not smoke at all until it sets for 30 minutes or so.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the input!

It will smoke the whole time I drive it. It smokes most coming off idle, or revving. To be honest, I've not driven it more than 15-20 minutes since I had it. Short commutes and such. Sort of afraid to take it on too long of a drive. Too afraid that 9 years of sitting is just waiting to explode under the hood

I might be over-worrying about it. Just not sure what/if I'm causing more damage, or headed toward a blown gasket or thrown rod. Total noob as of this year.

If I get a non-windy day I'll take some video of the smoke amount. Maybe it's no big deal.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
maybe this will help but maybe it will not. Make sure your carb is not running rich and check the jets. Try a fuel pressure regulator as well. With that being said here's my story.

Last year i aquired this old 84 pickup with a tired 22r in it. It burned oil and rattled along. Within a couple wheeling trips it popped a head gasket and had that fixed. Well after the head was fixed the cylinders naturally had more compression from the valves being fresh. It had some serious blow by. Burnt a little more oil but kept on ticking like the little sewing machine it is. Adjusted the carb and added a fuel pressure regulator and burnt a little less oil. We took it to SMORR Flatnasty Wa$hi+a and to colorado for a 3000+ road trip all thew while burning oil and smoking when shifting. It had crap for power but as we all know toyotas are all about the gearing. With 4.70 in the case and a heavy foot i made it. I am not and will not be nice to the little motor and it keeps ticking in spite of my efforts to kill it. I am finally after a lot of tough miles, running low on oil, driving all around the country and hating the stupid oil problem putting a new motor in it. I would not hesitate to drive that crappy old burning oil motor across the country again. Sometimes it runs hot and some times i don't care.

So what does this mean to you? Drive it. Oil is cheap and unless the 22r is knocking it'll be fine. Take your time and start thinking about a motor eventually. For now just drive it.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM

The calming words of the mightymouse guru. Needed to remember to just drive it and be patient. Thanks.

Glad you mentioned running rich. Taking a second look at the plugs they do seem carbonated. When I rebuilt the carb, being such a noob, I could have easily upset the mixture one way or another.

After I did compression test, there is a slight hesitation on acceleration, and the engine does seem to skip, and bounce around more than before.

Time to play with it.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM

Volkswagen used to say a motor needed rebuilding ONLY when you had to add oil to it every time you filled up with gas. A 22 R could be about the same.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 PM

Low compression improved by putting oil in the cylinder is indication of bad rings or cylinder walls. The oil helps the rings seal to the cylinder wall
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by youngtoyotatech
Low compression improved by putting oil in the cylinder is indication of bad rings or cylinder walls. The oil helps the rings seal to the cylinder wall
Is 15 to 20 PSI increase after oil adage enough to say it's the rings for certain?

Originally Posted by Crtzlow
Volkswagen used to say a motor needed rebuilding ONLY when you had to add oil to it every time you filled up with gas. A 22 R could be about the same.
I might be at that point... we'll see now that I got my rough idle/acceleration problem sorted out.

My truck was idling poorly and hesitating/stuttering on acceleration after the compression test. So checked the timing, plug wires, plugs and gaps. Turns out #4 was completely pinched shut. No gap at all. I must have bent it somehow re-installing after the compression test. I also replaced the fuel filter -- at which point I discovered it was installed incorrectly with the arrow pointing to the tank. So installed the new one correctly (arrow pointing to carb).

Now purring again and gas smell mostly gone.

Oil was low again after about 60 miles. Put a quart of Max Life 10W-40 and 8oz of No Smoke in the engine. It does seem to be smoking a little less.

I may still be running rich, I can't tell, although smoke does not look black. I did re-adjust the idle mixture screw to factory spec 4 turns and brought idle speed to 750. Did rebuild carb about 4 months ago.

Guess it's just time to drive it and hope I can delay an engine overhaul. Still only at 148K.

Will post a video of the smoking for all to see.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 PM

Yes... also need to desperatley fix my muffler and tail pipe.

But here is a vid of my truck smoking during warmup. This amount comes out same when I am warmed up and hit the same revs on the engine.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Sure sounds like bad rings. next step to be for sure get your hands on a cylinder leakage tester and check for a hiss from the oil dip stick tube
Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Any update?
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just an fyi with an air compressor you can canibalize your compression tester to make your own leakdown tester by taking the schraeder valve out of the compression tester and hooking up an air hose to the spark plug hole.
wet cylinders with increased pressure is a definite indicator of rings unless too much oil is used then it can definetly make the valves seat better too.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ihuntsum
Any update?
Haven't been able to do a leak down test. So last update remains the most relevant. Right now I'm just keeping an eye on my oil/gas consumption per mile, until I have an opportunity to do a leak down.

Definitely going through more than a quart of oil per tank of gas.

If it does end up being rings, which it's looking that way, I don't think I'll have the time or cash to rebuild the engine until spring. In that case, any short term suggestions would be much appreciated.

Will update when I've done a leak down.

Thanks for the tip, banger!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put some thick oil in it and drive it like you stole it for a week to see if the rings come back to life. its prolly from sitting fro so long.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 PM

85toy, I been driving like the law is after me.

Toward the end of last week I noticed fluid on my floorboard. Clutch master cylinder was leaking. So my time to do a leak down was consumed by replacing it and the clutch slave cylinder.

While I was under there did an oil change and put a Toyota Oil filter on (I'd used FRAM since I'd owned it). That's the way my dad showed me when I was younger, never thought about OEM for filter until this forum. DERP.

Had a moment tonight so I blew out my Charcoal canister. I remain curious about my fuel system. Just filled up... only getting 12 MPG. No hiss at gas cap anymore, maybe will help my flooding issue too.

Good news is blue smoke seems to be less. I can idle without gagging myself when the wind is right. And the thick oil, honey, and filter seem to be making some difference.

Still monitoring my oil consumption to see if that slows down as well.

Probably won't get to leak down until after the Thanksgiving holiday.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Update??
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM

After setting up for the years I'd bet the rings have stuck on it. Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase (and fuel) can do wonders to help this problem out.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM

my rings were a bit stuck too when i got my truck. I ran some seafoam and lucas through it. And i only fill up with 90 octane NO ethanol....shhhpplladaaauuww problem dead done fixed bub
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Sorry, y'all. A family crisis has brought a sharp delay to working on the truck. Will definitely update when I get back to it. Thanks for your interest.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 AM

Good luck n God bless maurcs

Quick Reply: Blowin' Smoke - 22R Compression Test (video)