84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Best locker for front of the '85

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best locker for front of the '85

I have an '85 pick up with a Detroit locker in the rear and have been wondering for a while on what locker to put in the front or even get one for the front. I have searched here and elsewhere and read a lot on the subject but would like advice for my specific uses from here. I do not mud my truck or rock crawl, I and my son are trail people. Imogene, Yankee Boy Basin, Governor Basin, Scheafer trail, etc. We have been to Colorado and Utah in a 4x4 Sub., Z71 Tahoe and 08 Rubicon 4 door. Did Imogene and Governor Basin in the Tahoe. I have not wheeled the Toy that much. Knowing the solid axle Toyotas like you do on this site, is a locker even needed in the front with the type of wheeling I do? If you would do it, what are your recommendations and why? A few people have said the truck as is will do almost any trail I put it on. Any advice, comments and questions are welcome. Great site. Love the info here. Thanks you very much for any input. Travis.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:14 PM

I put a lock right locker in the front of my 85 4runner and its great on the trails, but is noisy at high way speeds. Not a daily driver but I do drive it a lot on weekends around town. Also I wheel hard in creeks and pipe lines with friends that have pure trail rigs and before the locker it was very capable off road, but if money grew on trees I would much rather have an selectable locker(air or electric). Just my experience, hope this helped.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks DH it does help. I've read that Detroits up front make it hard to steer on trails, then another will say it is not too bad. I do not want to make my truck too difficult to take switchbacks in the mountains, but having both front and rear locked would probably make it unstoppable. Just do not want to spend the money and regret it the first time I have tighter corner.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:16 PM

If you come to a tight turn just unlock the hubs and it will take it like a stock truck, and if your willing to do that just put a spool up front, and a locker in the rear
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Stetson_md
If you come to a tight turn just unlock the hubs and it will take it like a stock truck, and if your willing to do that just put a spool up front, and a locker in the rear
That sounds functional...

Save the money and buy some sort of selectable, I wish I would have done an ARB in the rear instead of my stupid yukon
Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do selectable, which is my recommendation, check out the TJM Pro locker. That's what I'm getting in the rear of mine. Probably do a Spartan or Aussie in front. If you do a lunchbox locker, my opinion is the Spartan and Aussie are stronger than the Lockrite.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I recommend a selectable locker for the front. Elocker, hi-pinion LC elocker or ARB. Depending on tire size the Trutrac is also, IMHO, the best LSD on the market and is also good for the front end applications.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:30 PM

selectable is king. aussie or spartan are great, thats what i run. i unlock one hub if i need to for tight corners and this still allows one tire to get traction up front. its not to bad to drive with a locker up front but you definitely know its there. lm not familiar with those trails so i cant tell you if you even need a locker. do you lift tires alot?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:16 PM

I do not know if I will ever have a front tire off the ground. I just would like to have the luxury to lock all 4 if I come upon a sloppy spot in the trail or a steep section of loose rock. My son who is 23 and has an '87 Toyota says I will probably never need a front locker with such a capable front end to start with. Also, not bragging but the 85 is still so nice, I will never risk it in too many big mud holes or serious off camber trails. If you get the time youtube Imogene Pass, Governor Basin, Scheafer Trail or Tincup Pass. Those are some of the trails we have been on and good examples of what we drive as well as just entertaining videos to pass the time. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I grew up in the San Juan mts.

It's better to have and not need than need and not have.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:40 AM

Go selectable, either toyota e locker, or arb. the toyota will let you change it even if the motor dies out on the trail if the arb fails on the trail your out of luck.The ability to shut them off in snow is great. I had a aussie i the front it was ok but the toyota electric is fantastic.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
a couple of my buddys and I have been running Spartans up front,no probs,no noise no racheting,hardly tell its there but when you nail it full engagement,I have driven mine on the street with front hubs locked and could not even tell a difference at all