84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85' random hesitation between 2600-3500rpms

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85' random hesitation between 2600-3500rpms

ok so...been reading forums like crazy trying to figure this out and nothing has helped. sorry to start another damn power loss thread...

bought the 4runner a year ago.. some where in the ballpark of 250k miles but it's a mystery as Speedo cable was broke when I bought it. it's always ran like crap when started really cold. it starts right up but needs accelerator play to keep out going for about ten seconds then it's fine...I replaced fuel pump and filter shortly after buying. ran great for six months. I then left town for four months and it sat. came home charged the battery and it started right up and ran great.. couple months go by and got it stuck in a big ass mud puddle and it shut off. I replaced the plugs , dist cap,rotor and starter, it ran like crap for a couple days then was fine... fast forward till now, I've been driving it to work every day for a month or so about 120 miles round trip mostly interstate going 75 ran great. I've been driving out every day for months. I left for a week and it sat. I come home and started it up at 5am about 20 degrees and it did its usual idle like crap for a few seconds.. go to drive off a few minutes later and there was a huge power loss around 3k when I went shift. it happened a few times pulling out of my neighborhood then ran fine two mins later.. tan fine all day.. yesterday same thing in the morning but on my way home on the interstate it hesitated a few times around 2800-3k just cruising on the interstate.. did a couple more times whenever id get close to 3k.. got home didn't think much of it.. today started out and same colld start but it continued having power loss andit would happen every mile or so my whole drive to work.. definitely worse then yesterday. now I'm worried about driving home and getting to work the rest off the week.... I've read about about afm and tps being possible culprits as well as fuel filter and or pump.. no holes in the intake after afm.. don't have volt meter here to check but I will tonight.. but would those just randomly start going bad like that? it seemed to be related to sitting for as week since it was fine then magically stated acting up when I got home... any other ideas of what it may be?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you talked about the TPS I assume you have a 22RE. I'd start with checking the TPS. An easy test for that is to unplug it and drive. See if you still have the problem. You may get a check engine light when you unplug the TPS (if you have a California truck), but it will run in safe mode. You can test the AFM also, but from what I hear they either work or they don't....there's no halfway.

It sounds like you could be having an issue with the distributor advance in the higher RPM's too. You replaced the cap and rotor, but I wonder about the rest of it having corrosion in it after getting hung up in the mud. See if you can duplicate the problem in the driveway when you have a timing light hooked up.

Also, is it automatic or manual? Make sure you're dealing with an engine issue and not something else like a bad clutch or torque converter. It sure sounds engine-related to me tho.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 AM

yeah it's a 22re 5spd.. I'll try unplugging the tps for part of my drive home and see what it does. I've never had an engine light come on with this truck. and it's not as California model. it idles and runs fine below 2400 rpms and when I'm accelerating hard it doesn't seem to have the issue.. just cruising.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by thestreaker
yeah it's a 22re 5spd.. I'll try unplugging the tps for part of my drive home and see what it does. I've never had an engine light come on with this truck. and it's not as California model. it idles and runs fine below 2400 rpms and when I'm accelerating hard it doesn't seem to have the issue.. just cruising.
Well, it doesn't sound as much like a TPS issue as it did before, but it'll still be good to check. Double-check your timing. It should advance to around 12-14° when you rev it up.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
Well, it doesn't sound as much like a TPS issue as it did before, but it'll still be good to check. Double-check your timing. It should advance to around 12-14° when you rev it up.

well it seems to be tps related.. started up to drive home and it was bucking really. bad even below 2000. pulled over after a mile shut the motor off and unplugged tps. ran bad for. about a quarter mile then it just started running fine.. I've gone about 50 miles and it hasn't done it once.. gonna check when I get home to see if its bad or just out of position. I put waggy springs on the front a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten around to getting new shocks yet so it's been super bouncy plus I drive down six miles of really bumpy dirt roads. probably got wet too when I hit that mud hole..I know there was muddy water in the TB when I cleaned everything after
Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM

well never mind.. it drove fine all the way home. parked for two hours then drove it again and it started doing it again with tps unplugged so now I don't know what's going on
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 PM

I’m working on a very similar almost identical issue with a 95 4Runner with 22RE 5spd. I’ve replaced engine and most of the sensors thinking the ECM was confused with what it was receiving. I just ordered a new distributor, ignition pickup and ICM. If that fixes it I’ll let you know. Good luck.

edit: just realized I replied to a 6 year old post. Ever get it fixed?

Last edited by HardLuck_Harris; 03-18-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Dates of post