84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 22R Missfire, Backfire, Rough Idle, High idle, Surging, dying at stops or decel

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 85 22R Missfire, Backfire, Rough Idle, High idle, Surging, dying at stops or decel

Hey everyone, I haven't been on here in a while, but I figured I'd share my latest accomplishments in-case someone else is having the same issues.

Vehicle: 1985 Toyota Xtra Cab 22r 5spd

Symptoms: (in the beginning....)
- High idle (1200 rpm-ish) but accelerated fine
- Idle would surge (down, then up, then settle) when coming to a stop, and sometimes die
- Backfire when shifting at high RPM's

Initial Actions taken: (somewhere in the middle...)
- rebuilt carb
- Set fuel / air mixture screw
- set timing
- still had to idle at 1200 rpm to keep running, really rough idle anywhere below that

Truck ran pretty good for about two weeks, then the alternator belt snaps. Somehow, some way, after installing a new alt. belt, the carb decides it wants to flood. It was flooding so badly it was pushing fuel into the EVAP/overflow canister at such a rate that is was like a gasoline garden hose coming out of the front right fender area.

Actions taken to get it home:
- pull the top of the carb off and reset floats
- turned the choke all the way down so that it would not engage
- Adjusted idle to about 2000 rpm

This got the truck home so I could get to work on it.

Actions taken: (almost to the final "ah-ha" moment)
- Set float level once again (just remeasured to ensure it was good...Float level is now in the center of the bowl)
- Changed plugs and wires
- reset timing
-messed with the fuel/ air mixture screw

At this point everthing was good, but the truck still ran like poop when I dropped the idle speed anywhere near below 1k. After taking the carb apart and cleaning everthing about 5 times, I started doing some research. Here and there I would see people talking about the Fuel cut solenoid, or Fuel cut off solenoid. Most people recommended a rebuild because the o-ring in the solenoid often goes bad. Becasue I had just rebuilt it, I knew this wasn't the case. In much fewer quantities, I found people talking about cutting the two wires to the solenoid, and rerouting them straight to the battery.... I said to heck with it and cut them suckers; wired it to the battery, adjusted RPM's, adjusted timing, adjusted fuel/air mixture screw, and she purred like a kitten at a low and smoothe 750 RPM

Morale of the story: if you have rough idle, high idle, surging idle, dying on deceleration, or any of the above listed issues, do a quick fix and rewire the fuel cut solenoid. Over 100.00 bucks later, I wish I would have found this info before I decided to rebuild the carb and all that.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting your entire story, I'm sure this will help someone down the road... But man does this thread ever make me love my weber
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cookie Monster
Thanks for posting your entire story, I'm sure this will help someone down the road... But man does this thread ever make me love my weber
Seconded. I also love cookies.