84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84 Runner build up

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 Runner build up

It took some time and effort, but the build up begins tomorrow. After running some ranch trails and doing some wheeling in west Texas 2 weeks ago, I ran into a problem with my exhaust falling off. Partly accidental, mostly intentional. Basically, my engine started missing pretty bad. I have done some carb work recently, and was able to check for leaks around the carb and intake. Found no issues. Looking all stumped shaped, my buddy asked how old is your exhaust system? I didn't have an answer which lead to a visual inspection of the system which confirmed the system was most likely original equipment. I had no intent of being stranded 400 miles from home, so we decided yank the old system off.

Which worked wonderfully by the way.

I was very impressed with how LOUD that 22R is without a cat or muffler, but it got me home. (had to use ear plugs)

I have since ordered and recieved an LCE 2 1/4" header. Magnaflow Cat, and Muffler. The entire pipe system being 2 1/4". I also picked up a new spacer for my weber to sit on which is spiral bored. (supposed to add 5hp and 6 ft lbs of torque.) My questions to to masses are: Do I need to use a special sealant between the header and the block, or do I not need anything?

I will post pics of my progress as I move through the build up. With of course my personal review.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish could tell you more about how the previous owner set up my truck. It has most of the mods that you are doing to yours. I am not sure what carb is on there, but I believe its a Weber 38? with headers, no cat, and a magnaflow exhaust.
I will follow your thread to see how your truck turns out.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:24 PM

Well finally I can get the pics of my work posted. Amazingly, I managed to escape with any flesh wounds. Definitely a first! Anyway on to the progress.

First a pic of the truck

Before shot

Now that I have run the truck for the past 5 days, I can review properly. The power boost is awesome. Very satisfying. Before I had trouble maintaining speed going up hills. The truck would slow down about 10 mph. Now I can maintain a speed between 65 and 70, and rarely have to down shift. In addition I believe my gas milage has improved some. I haven't completed an analysis on a full tank yet, but I can see there is some sort of improvement.

I have learned that my seedometer seems to be about 5 mph slower than actual. I am running 30" tires...is this significant enough to cause this difference, or do I need a new speedometer cable?

My next project will be in brakes and suspension as soon as the funds are available. Wish me luck on the poker tables.

Shiny new parts

This is the old manifold removed from the truck. From reading other posts, I'm guessing luck was with me on this. All nuts and bolts came off without a problem. One squirt of PB Blaster, and off they came.

And an after shot. Notice the home made covers I had to make to cover up some tiny exhuast ports. Apparently my engine is and early 84/late 83. That rusty pipe is coming off and prettier covers are on their way. The old nuts and bolts are not so picture worthy, so they will be replaced also.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM

nice lookin' yota! I wish I could have heard the beast without exhaust

interesting that your exhaust affected the speed efficiency so much - something new I learned

awaiting your posts on the suspension, and dont think that coolor of beer didn't go unnoticed haha