84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

3rd row in 1st gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3rd row in 1st gen 4runner

I realized that i need a 3rd row of seats in my 1st gen 4runner, so i can carry more people legally

i have been looking around and all i have found is These, but they are very expensive

does anyone know of any more that would fit in it?
does anyone here have any experience with putting an extra row in a 4runner?
would a jeep back seat fit back there?

Last edited by littlecommando; 09-22-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM

Smile

monday bump?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM

i would take measurements and go hunting at a junk yard.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:21 AM

That sounds like a good idea, but how would i mount the new seats if i find them in a junk yard?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM

you would have to fab up a mount, it doable. but make sure for safety to put in good seat belts and you should put in a better roll bar for the passengers in the rear. the stock one will only be good for those in the stock back seats and even then i sometimes wonder what would happen in a freeway accident to the rear passengers.

Last edited by 88wildrunner; 09-22-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would there be enough head room?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chapman88SR5
Would there be enough head room?
i am planing on mounting it directly to the floor back there, and most of the time it would be kids riding back there

as for the roll bar thing, im planing on building an exo so, i think that they will be safe
Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the yards for the back jump seats out of an S-10 or small extended cab. I doubt you'd have room for much more than that. I'd also check for the legality of doing such an operation. I wouldn't want to see what kind of liability issues you'd have to deal with if someone got hurt in non-compliance seating.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 AM

One time I saw a 89 4runner that came with a set of factory jump seats. They evidently had this as a factory option back then. It sat two people rather uncomfortably, with it being slightly shorter across than the factory back seat. Maybe you might be lucky enough to find some of these.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Check the yards for the back jump seats out of an S-10 or small extended cab. I doubt you'd have room for much more than that. I'd also check for the legality of doing such an operation. I wouldn't want to see what kind of liability issues you'd have to deal with if someone got hurt in non-compliance seating.
I dont think i have a problem with legality, because there are a few companies that make them

i dont think that i will be able to find one out of a 4runner around here because it is hard to even find a 1st gen 4runner anywhere in georgia, much less one with a 3rd row
Old 09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
though not a 1st Gen 4Runner, but here is what I did for a back seat in my "81 Trekker, just an option ($44 for the pair at the local U Pull It)

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
did a little interior work on the Trekker today...still need to get off my butt and get my rear third in, dunno why i have not done it yet guess I have been hoping the 5.29 Gear Fairy will show up someday soon...

Had a little time to kill this morning so I headed out to the Sherwood U Pullit off of 99W to do some boneyard exploring...which I had more than $50, there were 3-4 79's and 80's in the yard (2wd's) but could have scored some great doors...I would love to get an extra cab too...by I digress..

I have been trying different back seat combinations in hope of finding something that would be good for the kids, have adjustable headrests and best thing would be split rear seats...I had an Isuzu Amigo rear seat that I thought would work but it must have been wet or something it never smelled right so I went searching again...was kind of looking for a Volvo Wagon back seat, Samurai backseat..something that would measure 36" wide (width of the seat tray in the bed of the trekker).

took a look inside a Mitsubishi Montero, looked like a couple of people pushed the ejector seats through the windshield..anyway found that that it was a '94 with jumpseats...trusty tapemeasure showed they were about 18.5" wide, a few minutes later they were in the wheel barrow on the way to the cash register with a pair of these:

they had kind of a wing for the bracket that attached inside the montero, would have been cool to adapt that but it was not in the cards with the Trekker bed--
started to get all the brackets and crap off:

U bolts from the rear u bolt flip kit worked great for keeping the fabric out of the way of the sawzall:

after a few minutes of playing with tools of destructions I had this pile of junk:

reinstalled the seat fabric around the bracket area that was cut off, just kind of folded it under and tightend it with the split rings (i will get it a little tighter when I make the brackets):

Did a test fit:

fits pretty good, I need to make some brackets that will hold the seat up about 1.5" or so...
Meets the objective of having split seats, the kids are comfortable--these montero seats even recline about 30 Degrees or so...and doesn't smell like something dead like the AMigo seat

they are about 3-4" above the floor of the bed when folded down, I am pretty happy with that...it was a good hour playing with tools ..

If the front seats of the Montero had not been sliced by some oxygen thieve I would have grabbed them too, they look like they would fit in a 1st gen cab, have got some cool adjustments, an adjustable armrest would be cool for road trips ...and matched the rear...
Old 09-23-2008, 01:18 PM

that looks good, but how did you attach them?
how well can 2 people fit back there?
but i have plenty of room to fit a 39' seat back there
Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

I couldn't imagine having anymore people in a 1st gen. I know that with 5 adults mine requires that you wind up the engine quite a bit to get going. Then again, I need gears.

The idea sounds good though. I'll be interested to see where this goes.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Find the back bench out of a ford bronco II, my friend added 3rd row to his jeep cherokee like that.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM

i have had 6 large collage kids in my car, i have also had 4 adults and 3 kids in it and it drove just like normal

also, it will probably be kids or i will just be going a short distance
Old 09-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
why dont you tell your friends to get their own ride, that would save you this trouble ??
Old 09-23-2008, 06:34 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f5/t...-think-148175/

Check out the thread on my 3rd row seat in my Trooper. I know it's not a a 4runner but maybe you can get some ideas from my project to.

I used a Samurai rear seat, fabbed a bracket that mounted to the cargo tie-downs then bolted lap belts to the steel mount that I got from gotseatbelts.com for less than $50. I did splurge and had the seat recovered, but you wouldn't have to do that.

If you don't have cargo tie-downs just use large diameter flat washers, the thicker the better and you should be good.

A third row in your rig will be similar to mine, just enough room for kids and that's it.

Hope that helps and post pics of your project!

Last edited by GenXr; 09-23-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:42 PM

that looks good, i didnt even think of making a bracket like that
i might try to make a bracket like that and have it mount to the roll bar so i dont have to to drill as much
Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM

"I dont think i have a problem with legality, because there are a few companies that make them"
littlecommando

I wouldn't assume anything when it came to liability and insurance,, sounds like a bad thing waiting to happen
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by '88 4-RUNNER
"I dont think i have a problem with legality, because there are a few companies that make them"
littlecommando

I wouldn't assume anything when it came to liability and insurance,, sounds like a bad thing waiting to happen

What's so illegal about installing a 3rd row seat? It's no more inherently dangerous than SASing your rig and raising the suspension 5". When you modify a vehicle you have to accept the risks associated with it. For third row seats there is no roll over protection for those passengers, and in newer vehicles that is part of the crumple zone.

With a higher COG due to lots of lift one could flop the rig over or blow a tire at highway speeds and tumble uncontrollably...its a trade off in risks.

Since his rig doesn't have the crumple zone he could simply add a roll bar or rear cage to protect the passengers.

Or, drive safely.

Quick Reply: 3rd row in 1st gen 4runner