84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r coil wiring issues, throttle linkage

Old 01-26-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The little black box!

It's a capacitor, noise filter for the coil, black wire to ground blue wire taps into the coil power.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:19 PM

No interconnects for charge and ignition.

The ignitor is a fancy switch and nothing more really, you take power in on one line which charges the coil, then it disconnects circuit and the field collapses. When a coils field collapses there is a HUGE power surge in the reverse direction, normally in electronics there will be a diode which directs this to ground and protects the rest of the circuit, in this case there is only one path out and that's thru the distributor wire.

The failure mode and what blows up the ignitor is when there resistance to ground is less on the coils positive wire back thru the ignitor.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM

I'm betting you have cruise control switches don't you. That's what normally lives in that corner and your brake warning and distributor system are already hooked up. Which only leaves cruise as a possibility, or a good lamp.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 01-26-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Premature reply mashing
Old 01-27-2017, 06:14 PM
KSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well CO, I applaud your knowledge, very cool. So I am still back to square one, except your statement about the ignitor has me thinking that I may have two bad ignitors, which I can't imagine, but could very well be. I tested the green incoming plug to my coil/ignitor with ign hot and it was 9v on one side, 4.5v on the other. Ign off, 0.0 on one side, 2 or 3 on the other. If the coil is getting the voltage and not sending, then I have bad ign/coil. I am considering ˟˟˟˟canning the whole mess and buying an accel kit.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM
KSA

Also, no cruise control on this rig. forgot to mention that
Old 02-01-2017, 04:59 PM
KSA

So, I'm wondering how to test my coils, I have removed the coil wire from the dist. and had the GF crank the starter while I held the coil against the base of the ignitor assuming I should get spark, both coils, nothing. Hooked up a spark plug to a wire and held against the exhaust man. nothing. Have some incoming power to the green plug where it hooks up to the ig/coil. not 12 v , but 9.4 and 4. ??
Old 02-01-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by KSA
So, I'm wondering how to test my coils, I have removed the coil wire from the dist. and had the GF crank the starter while I held the coil against the base of the ignitor assuming I should get spark, both coils, nothing. Hooked up a spark plug to a wire and held against the exhaust man. nothing. Have some incoming power to the green plug where it hooks up to the ig/coil. not 12 v , but 9.4 and 4. ??
Use the service manual?

But if you really are wanting to fire it and throw sparks..
This

I pretty much gave direction above, I left off the capacitor/condenser. Normally the minimize the collapsing current in electronics, on a car ignition we want to Feed it more for bigger bangs..
Old 02-13-2017, 06:08 PM
KSA

Don't know if anyone would be interested, but SUCCESS!! The tan and black wire were the original plug and play for the coil, I had plugged into the wrong set up in the harness. Actually took some pics of my moms '83 when visiting this weekend. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Key off there is no power on the heavier gauge wire correct? Verify that it is connected to the ignition switch Ig2 pin 7. That'll be the coil supply.

The black line should tie into the tach signal. Verify its connected to either the tach gauge or emissions controller pin #4of13 on the California or pin #11 on federal.
Originally Posted by KSA
I can check that, but I don't know where it would connect too. The coil appears to be wired into the harness correctly. The hot tan wire and the black one were wired to the old TB coil. I am clueless. I think I need some pics of a stock set up under the hood. The tan wire is hot with the ign on only
Originally Posted by KSA
Don't know if anyone would be interested, but SUCCESS!! The tan and black wire were the original plug and play for the coil, I had plugged into the wrong set up in the harness. Actually took some pics of my moms '83 when visiting this weekend. Thanks for all the help guys
knew you'd get there in the end one way or another.

Way to go sir well done.

Search this Thread