84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 4x4 ext cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it's been a minute since I've been on here. But I've gotten 80% of the body work done. At least enough to stop the cancer for now. Working on interior a little now. Have some issues getting the heat to work and the changing of the selector from defrost to any other position. Anybody have any expertise or experience to help save me some time trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
You might need a new "cable" for the air selector for defrost etc, I doubt it's the air box it's self. Also semi common for the pivit point of the arm to get broken once the cable gets hard to move. Might be able to cheat and lube it up well and have it work correctly.

The heat slider connects to a cable that runs under the hood to the heater core lines. There's a valve there that might be rusty/hard to move. Toyota used them the same way all the way into the 2000's atleast for Tacoma etc, so I suspect they can be had at the dealership, but who knows if the price is good or expensive. If you want a used one, I could dig around for one, just make sure that's the cause and not the cable.

The 3rd cable is the inside vs outside air flap, it's like the easiest cable to get to if I remember right, again if it's stiff/hard to move, it's probably the cable causing it.

Too bad you weren't closer by, I have a pair of bucket seats that look exactly like yours but in a lot better shape. They were from an 85 from what I was told, I sold him 86 seats because I had a set near perfect, and the 85 ones had some stains.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rtrippva

Well it's been a minute since I've been on here. But I've gotten 80% of the body work done. At least enough to stop the cancer for now. Working on interior a little now. Have some issues getting the heat to work and the changing of the selector from defrost to any other position. Anybody have any expertise or experience to help save me some time trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Mine did the same thing going in to last fall and it was stuck on vent and cool air. That had to change so I pulled my glove box and some of the easier dash items off, clock, etc. that allowed me to see that my pivot pin had snapped. Will i was able to just barely with hemostats drop a small bolt through and then by some miracle get a nut started and tightened. It was still stiff but I was able to get it on defrost and hot air. Now that its warming up I am going to be going after lubing the cables.