Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

What alternators fit stock on a 79?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had hoped to have a bit of a write-up for putting the Land Cruiser Alt in, but it has not been delivered to the store as of yet... And, it has been raining heavily and I have no garage, not even a carport to work under...
What it looks like though, is I'll be doing a 2-wire setup. Main Batt terminal to Battery + post with a 6 ga wire and fusible link, and a wire from the IG plug terminal on the Alt to he black with yellow stripe wire in the harness that goes through the ignition switch OR I could take the wire straight to the Battery + terminal with its own fusible link. I admit, I'm not sure why it needs to go through the ignition switch... I also plan to put a volt meter in the cab as I never really liked the Ammeter gauge. Voltmeters are much more reactive and show you more of what's going on with the system, IMHO...
So, as soon as the Alt comes in, and it stops raining.... and I have time... We'll see about posting this up with pictures...
Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 AM

the dummy light relay is up beside the glove box. its there. there are 2 different regulators for your truck both will plug into that green clam shell but only one will work. I played hell getting all that S@%$ right but it is possible. basically you are dealing with a one off as far as wiring and there is no information anywhere on how to make it right. I bought a real TSRM for my 80 cut the wiring schematic out and traced everything. that is how I fixed it. ammeter is more precise than voltmeter, just have to learn how to read it.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM

the 83 tsrm that floats around the internet isn't right for our truck. you need 79/80 schematic...
Old 06-05-2015, 09:16 AM

that relay is up between air vent and wall of cab. it is about side by side with glovebox high on kick panel. the 2 you took a picture of is blinker box and I think idiot buzzer for seatbelt. there are 2 behind instrument cluster they are for head lights. I have some trace schematics I drew up when hooking up my alternator. I can send you a picture when I get home if you think it might help. Like I said Toyota was changing their charging system yearly @ that point and each year is a one off... hard to figure out but can be done. I know some land cruisers from same vintage used exact same setup. But don't know which ones. Michael

1980 4WD Hilux 20r

1985 Celica Supra 6MGE

1987 4Runner 22RE 4WD

2002 Sequoia 4WD
Old 06-05-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by msane99
the dummy light relay is up beside the glove box. its there. there are 2 different regulators for your truck both will plug into that green clam shell but only one will work. I played hell getting all that S@%$ right but it is possible. basically you are dealing with a one off as far as wiring and there is no information anywhere on how to make it right. I bought a real TSRM for my 80 cut the wiring schematic out and traced everything. that is how I fixed it. ammeter is more precise than voltmeter, just have to learn how to read it.
Hey msane99,
Thanks for the info, however, it's not there... I have stuck my head with a flashlight under the dash everywhere. I pulled out the duct and pulled out the firewall sound deadening pad, etc. Not there... I really wish it was...
If you are willing to share any schematics I will be truly grateful!
I agree that an ammeter can be more precise, but most of the ones I've seen in vehicles are not... I work with some industrial machines that pull between 100 and 300 amps (aluminium melting furnaces) with ammeters that are great. I find voltmeters in a vehicle to be more reactive to changes...
Old 06-05-2015, 05:28 PM

Also, the module that hooks to he green clamshell, it had a small one one it when I got the truck, I bought another one which is larger... For some reason I can't add the picture here, but it is in my album, Not sure which is supposed to be the right one, the one I bought is supposed to be a direct replacement... YMMV...

Last edited by 80Truck; 06-05-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Just finished with the land cruiser alternator swap out.

Success!!!

I now get 14.45 VDC at the battery.
It does need to be goosed to start charging. I cut into the ignition wire at the plug that connects the original voltage regulator plug. Now for clean up, and I'll do a write up tomorrow...

One thing I need to figure out, even after looking through the forums (too many possibilities) is a fusible link for the alt to batt wire... Just a 55 amp alt using 6ga wire. Not sure what size link to use, or maybe just get a HD fuse holder and put in a ? amp fuse... Could use some suggestions...

Last edited by 80Truck; 06-07-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Yeah, sorry, still need to do the write up on the alt swap.
I added a voltmeter, so now have the Oil pressure and Ammeter gauge cluster, with a Voltmeter on the side. Looks pretty decent and didn't add any holes...
Now I can see the Volts go from 12.5 or so to 14.5 when the alt kicks in.

So, in looking through other threads, I find that my truck is not a base model. It is the N37 short bed with a 4 speed trans., but has a tach (which is now working) and the gauge cluster down by the shifter. It's not an SR5, as it would have a 5 speed trans., but has several other goodies... So a DLX?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:46 AM

ok first off, sorry about the info on that relay, I did a little more reading in the service manual and the relay was only there if you had the larger 55amp alternator from factory. so no relay = 40 amp factory system. sorry

as far as what you have sr5 dlx ect.

I have the 1980 sales brochures for these trucks and will try to clarify with you a little.

in 1980 the 4wd models were "Sport" and "Deluxe" deluxe being baseline just like my 87 4runner but 87 you had SR5 or DLX.

in 1980 the center gauges were not available on the Deluxe. nor intermittent wipers available. Tach and tripometer were not available on deluxe either. tilt was only available on the sport model but was optional.

Tach would not be a definite yes because of easily changed out and factory wiring harness would allow for functionality(plug and play) but if you have the intermit wipers, and center console gauges you have the upgraded (sport) SR5 truck. tilt would definitely hammer it home. there are several other things that were not available on Deluxe that were only available on the sport truck, but I did not include because of age of truck, and chances of those things being replaced out over the years.

The intermit wipers isn't the elaborate system that allows many different options, it is one click and only one setting.

Hope that helps.

Michael

Hub caps were standard also. not sure if you still have original steel wheels, but if you do, you will see tangs that would hold small hub cap to center of steel wheel.(let me know if you have these wheels)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:30 AM

Just looked at your pictures, nice little truck. Mine was born in October of 1979 too.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM

what the hell sport ONLY standard options:

chrome hub caps
intermittent wipers
simulated woodgrain dash panels
tach
tripmeter
body side and hood tape stripping
tinted glass
wall to wall carpeting
center console gauges
am/fm/mpx stereo radio

Sport Only option(s)

tilt steering

options for both sport and deluxe are:

Power steering
Air conditioning
Window package(vent windows, and sliding rear window)

options only available on deluxe:

am/fm radio (mono)

2wd was called SR5 Sport packages, but 4wd was only called Sport.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Hey Michael,

Thanks for all that great info!

No worries on the relay, the PO "Had a mechanic do some wiring and put in a new alternator and other things" on the truck... Whatever the case, the new upgrade I did is working great.

So, according to all of the options you posted, I have a Sport model.
Granted, some of these could have been added through the years by previous owners...

Here's what I have:

Quote with comments

what the hell sport ONLY standard options:

chrome hub caps - No idea as I don't have OEM wheels
intermittent wipers - Check, one click down is intermittent, then on to low and high
simulated woodgrain dash panels
tach - Got the tach, looks original, and decides when it wants o work or not... a project for later
tripmeter - Check
body side and hood tape stripping - Only thing I can say is the original color is Beige, no idea about graphics
tinted glass
wall to wall carpeting
center console gauges - Check, also looks OEM, but the tan interior is common
am/fm/mpx stereo radio - no idea, the PO put in a radio, which still needs to be fully wired in...

Sport Only option(s)

tilt steering - Check, works well, just need to put an OEM wheel on it and get rid of the tiny Grant on it now

options for both sport and deluxe are:

Power steering - Check
Air conditioning
Window package(vent windows, and sliding rear window) - No vent windows, but the rear slider which I love having on a truck

Also a PO put a Weber DFEV/AV carb and a Downey spacer on it... Have some minor issues there, and is just a little different than the DGEV that most everyone else has. Need to get the proper air filter for it as the PO mad his own...

So, most likely it is a Sport and has had some mods done over the years.... Hopefully after moving (this week) I'll be able to go to he local pick-n-pulls and find what I need.

And do the write up on the Alternator swap...

Last edited by 80Truck; 06-25-2015 at 09:47 AM.