Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Wear on inside of axle housing okay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wear on inside of axle housing okay?

Hey everyone! So I bought this axle to do a SAS and it's off an 83 so I felt it fit to post in this section. So I've been pulling apart for the past couple days and yesterday I noticed this wear on the inside of the housing, I'm not sure what this part is called but as you can see in the pictures the metal is ground down a little bit.... I was posting this to see what you guys think this could've been? And if it will still work to rebuild and SAS with? Could this cause problems or is it still safe to use? Thanks a lot guys!

Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Check for makings (stamped name) on birfeld. Looks like knuckle was clearances for Longfield or other larger aftermarket birfeld.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Check for makings (stamped name) on birfeld. Looks like knuckle was clearances for Longfield or other larger aftermarket birfeld.
X2 on someone clearancing it
And it is fine to use..
Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't come with birfields, so I'm not sure what was in there before but that's good to know it's still okay to use. If I got a stock set of birfields would the extra clearance negatively affect those at all?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TCpickup86
Unfortunately it didn't come with birfields, so I'm not sure what was in there before but that's good to know it's still okay to use. If I got a stock set of birfields would the extra clearance negatively affect those at all?
Will be fine. Might as well upgrade them to a stronger option. Camo came up with a slick method to modify brake line brackets to ease caliper removal. Makes pulling knuckles a breeze.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
Will be fine. Might as well upgrade them to a stronger option. Camo came up with a slick method to modify brake line brackets to ease caliper removal. Makes pulling knuckles a breeze.
link?