Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Tie rod - Can't find replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie rod - Can't find replacement?

My '83 Toyota 4x4 Pickup with a 4" lift needs some tie rod help and I'm having trouble finding parts. Hoping someone can help me out.

The tie rod ends are easy enough, it's the rod itself that I can't seem to find. My current tie rod has a slight bend from getting whacked and I don't really anticipate crawling with this rig. Stock setup is fine, I just can't find a replacement. I'm looking for something around 38.625" long and all I can find is 41.5" lengths.
Any advice from a seasoned pro would be great. Replacing it won't be too difficult. I just can't find one the same length.
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I did a quick search and found the same thing.
Seems like your options are checking the local junk yards for an un-bent one or, if NWOR is still in business in B-ham, see if they still have one of their heavy duty replacement ones.
I ran one of them for well over 10 years and was perfectly happy with it (just finished my high steer conversion). I heard that the company went to hell, but they're in your town. Seems like pretty much everyone else is only selling high steer tie rods (must be your length difference problem).
One of the places that build high steer kits might be convinced to build you one of the correct length as well.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a brand new one from All Pro Offroad with FJ80 ends for my '82 pickup. It was 43.25" in length but I thought they could make custom lengths.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Get a machine shop to make one as a last resort.