Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

turbo donor for 1980

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbo donor for 1980

Hi, all. I need some help in swap planning. I've always been an antique truck lover, but I recently (back in May) got an "80 4x4 Yota that is friggin awesome. I've taken it to Moab, run Black Bear & Imogene in Telluride CO, and numerous local trails. This thing is unstoppable! Love it,but it is slow. The 20R just can't push the 33's on highway. I'm okay with that. Wasn't going to mess with it, but I came across an '86 turbo truck when I was looking for a rearend for my LUV project. It has the 22RTE with 5 spd. I think it is an SR5 due to guages. Not sure. So of course I want the engine & trans for my '80. Now don't get upset. This '86 is a big project. The trans is out of truck, supposedly bad 3rd gear. I will inspect. The body is a little beat, worst is the core support. Lots of little things missing. Still has title from Arizona 2007. I'm in CO. The engine is locked. The PO told me the AZ owners rebuilt the engine, got it running, and it made noise. Then it sat. The PO brought it here & it sat for 10 years.
So, it is restorable if you really wanted, no rust. Just a lot more work than I want. I would rather have my '80 made better. Now, I will need to swap all electronics. The dashes measure about 52" on both trucks. Has anybody swapped the entire dash into one of these trucks? Looks like all the HVAC stuff will have to swap too. Any advice?

Old 11-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Oh, the truck behind the '86 is a '79. When I got my '80, my neighbor came over & offered his '79 to me. Cheap. So, of course I bought it. Then sold it to my friend who is slowly getting it roadworthy. The carcass beside it is an '82 camper that donated the 22R & front clip to the "79.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:47 PM

Found a post by dirtdobberoffroad that helps. Search "2nd gen dash". I made the mistake of searching "dash swap" which brings up tons of wrong stuff. Now to decide between swapping the whole dash or just the gauge pod. If only my '80 dash wasn't so hacked.

Last edited by suicide jockey; 11-12-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't know...it sounds like a lot of work and headache for another ~35 horsepower. Especially since it sounds like you'll have to rebuild both the motor and transmission from the donor before they bolt back up. You might be able to get them dirt cheap but you're going to spend a lot of money on little things here and there that you can't even think of right now.
If I was going to go through that much work and be without my truck for that long I'd probably find a more exciting and powerful motor to swap than a 22RTE.

Just my $0.02!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Punjab
I don't know...it sounds like a lot of work and headache for another ~35 horsepower. Especially since it sounds like you'll have to rebuild both the motor and transmission from the donor before they bolt back up. You might be able to get them dirt cheap but you're going to spend a lot of money on little things here and there that you can't even think of right now.
If I was going to go through that much work and be without my truck for that long I'd probably find a more exciting and powerful motor to swap than a 22RTE.

Just my $0.02!
An 1980 20r put out 97hp, a mid 80's 22rte puts out 135, that's about a 50% increase.. Here's your change, my 0.01.. =D

I didn't dig for that dash thread but I vaguely recall the cabin curve at the bottom of the wind screen being different.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM

It does sound like a lot of work, but 35hp is a big difference. Especially considering the bonus of fuel injection & turbo. I've flooded out the Weber plenty of times bouncing up trails. Power loss at 11,000'. Besides, I already have the donor, which I mainly bought for the rear. The engine is supposedly rebuilt, so might have to buy a crank & bearings at worst. Who knows? The trans isn't necessary. My 4spd is ok. Looks like the only inspection on the R151 was pulling the shifter. 10 years ago, I had an '89 that wouldn't shift right. I replaced the shifter bushings & it was like new. That cost less than $40. Might not apply here.
If this costs more than a grand, I will pass. I doubt it will get close to that. I'm set on fuel injection, so that means complete donor or aftermarket kit for the 20R. I am open to suggestions.
I saw that about the dash curve. Weird gaps might not bother me. The truck already has a home made ext cab & bobbed newer bed. Not winning any beauty contests.
Speaking of beds...the '79 is now sporting the '86's bed & bumper. Body lines are off, but my buddy thinks it's a lot better than the hacked original.

Last edited by suicide jockey; 11-14-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: pics didn't load
Old 11-15-2018, 04:57 AM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
A turbo 1st gen would be an awesome truck and as you mentioned, 35HP is a noticeable improvement and fuel injection will be a great upgrade! Don't let me turn you away from a great project. Already having the donor is more than half the battle.

If you gap the rings right, use strong head studs, and quality gaskets you could run a bigger turbo on it and higher PSI giving you even more than that extra 35. I'd say at around 50 HP you're getting back into the, "yeah this makes perfect sense" territory.

On a separate note, us Colorado guys need to get together for a trail ride some time soon!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 PM

I'm hoping this turbo engine is good without too much work. I'll be happy with stock. I've been ok w/ the 20R, but lately it's been missing. Checked the timing chain & it's got 8 deg of slop. Changing the chain this weekend.So I've been running a bit less than stock 97hp even w/ Weber & header.

Sounds like you need a turbo, Punjab. I'll keep my eye out for one. And I am down for a trail ride. I usually offroad alone since I'm new to CO. Only bad side is I bail on some trails that I might not survive like 21 Road north of Junction. I got in a ways before I started thinking about being alone, no winch, no spare parts, and being an hour from home. So, I did a U. If you're east side, I really want to try Red Cone again. Easy trail, but I broke the front ring gear on my Dodge & never made it up.

I might be getting a Trooper rear so I don't have to mod the Yota rear. Might want to keep this for my '80. Besides, the LUV won't mind staying Isuzu. I just need something 6 lug narrower than 58" that would handle 200hp.

Last edited by suicide jockey; 11-15-2018 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo