Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Supercharged 82 oil explosion, lost compression.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If I'm reading what you're planning to do correctly, I believe you're going to have a problem.
Are you trying to put an early 22R head (pre 85) on a late 22R block (85-95)?
I am under the impression that you will have interference issues by doing that. Early block had taller deck height and I believe that the chamber in the heads is different as well.
I'm not totally up on this, I just know that I cannot put a late head on my early block (I thought about a LCE head for my 81, but they only make late heads). I believe that there is a timing chain too short/too long issue as well.
Hopefully you aren't past the point of no return on this.
Maybe someone more up on this will chime in.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bingle
If I'm reading what you're planning to do correctly, I believe you're going to have a problem.
Are you trying to put an early 22R head (pre 85) on a late 22R block (85-95)?
I am under the impression that you will have interference issues by doing that. Early block had taller deck height and I believe that the chamber in the heads is different as well.
I'm not totally up on this, I just know that I cannot put a late head on my early block (I thought about a LCE head for my 81, but they only make late heads). I believe that there is a timing chain too short/too long issue as well.
Hopefully you aren't past the point of no return on this.
Maybe someone more up on this will chime in.

No no..... I wanna use all the parts off my 82 carb... intake manifold, exhaust manifold but a Webber carb and an online fuel pump....
not taking the head off the 87 motor... last I checked it ran an I wasn't trying to pull it apart

but I do believe you are correct, you can't swap the heads wothout changing a bunch of other stuff
Old 03-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. Yall are right. I have an early style 22R but I have a later style intake on it. Bolts right up. I HAVE READ about people switching up exhaust manifolds but that I have no personal experience with that.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:13 PM

Should I tape off the E.....?
Ceramic paint job..
Decided I might as well pretty this thing up a bit.... (side not, Alternator bracket from 87 is different and the plug is different. I think it should work... looks lined up)
Still need a few gaskets and block off plates... almost ready to put this thing in... hoping it still runs...
Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 PM

Any body know the gallons per minute that the Weber 32/36 wants? It seems to like 2.5psi.
This pump pushes 2-4psi... but gpm seem like a important factor....
pitate4x4 has a 22r to 22re page that's legit... but were are the 22re to 22r people at...
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by delmert
Any body know the gallons per minute that the Weber 32/36 wants? It seems to like 2.5psi.
This pump pushes 2-4psi... but gpm seem like a important factor....
pitate4x4 has a 22r to 22re page that's legit... but were are the 22re to 22r people at...
The 32/36 max pressure is 2.5 psi, put a good regulator b4 the carb.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
The 32/36 max pressure is 2.5 psi, put a good regulator b4 the carb.
oh max pressure... good to know.( was hoping to find a good fuel pump I could set at that) .. still wondering about gallons per minute...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 PM

oh max pressure... good to know.( was hoping to find a good fuel pump I could set at that) .. still wondering about gallons per minute...
32/36 Webers just go by psi and 2.5 is pretty low in the scheme of things. I never dealt with GPM when I was racing on a 32/36.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:48 PM

Well got this thing put in wired up a few things and started it up with a little fuel.... finished wiring everything up and it won't start.... just turns and turns.... if used starter fluid, checked spark on all 4 cylinders... can't figure out what I did.... anybody think of something I'm not?
Old 03-31-2017, 12:53 PM

What wiring did you do? Will it fire with start fluid? Timing/igniter comes to mind too.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 PM

Wired in a kill switch for the fuel pump wired the choke up to that, throttle cable with bracket... idk. Just cleaning things up...
ran my timing light on the plug wires. They were hitting. plugs look pretty bad though, pulled one out and it wasn't arching. Going to get plugs

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
What wiring did you do? Will it fire with start fluid? Timing/igniter comes to mind too.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:23 PM

Wired in a kill switch for the fuel pump wired the choke up to that, throttle cable with bracket... idk. Just cleaning things up...
ran my timing light on the plug wires. They were hitting. plugs look pretty bad though, pulled one out and it wasn't arching. Going to get plugs
Wired in a kill switch for the fuel pump wired the choke up to that
I get the kill switch part, but how/why wire the choke to that?

I don't know if the impulse for lighting the timing light is strong enough to actually fire plugs.
Fresh plugs are a good thing.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:15 PM

Well from my understanding the choke needs a 12v source that turns on when the ignition is on and while it's running... so since I ran the fuel pump off the kill switch instead of running a separate wire for the choke I just tide them together....
Ya think that would cause a problem?

spark plugs replaced and fired up...

need to to figure out the throttle still... it drives but has no power

not sure if the motor has enough torque for that truck....
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 PM

Well from my understanding the choke needs a 12v source that turns on when the ignition is on and while it's running... so since I ran the fuel pump off the kill switch instead of running a separate wire for the choke I just tide them together....
Ya think that would cause a problem?

spark plugs replaced and fired up...

need to to figure out the throttle still... it drives but has no power

not sure if the motor has enough torque for that truck....
I'm not an auto electric guru so I can't really say. I've just never heard of it being done that way, but I get why you did it.

Great that it fires up now, time to get it tuned to run right.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:39 AM

I'm not an expert by any means... I did swap my wiring harness few years back... learning how to get rid of things. Toyota put way to many wires
Ive got a 4 runner that's got a jacked up wire harness and a blown cylinder that may end up having my supercharged motor in it when it gets rebuild...
haven't found out much info looking around but I don't see why you couldn't run a 1wire alternator with and ms ignition system... then you'd only have to wire up the lights and the ignition switch
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM

is this how you have it set up right now? Because it looks like you're running fuel line to the vent / overflow port and don't have anything going to the inlet where your fuel is supposed to go
Old 04-01-2017, 10:03 AM

This is how I've seen every Weber set up (this is mine before I moved stuff around)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
is this how you have it set up right now? Because it looks like you're running fuel line to the vent / overflow port and don't have anything going to the inlet where your fuel is supposed to go
my fuel line wasn't hooked up at the time I took the pic... I was making sure it was pumping fuel (used a non fuel line to hook it up and it kinked)

I hooked up the top port on the carb ( is that my fuel over flow?) to the return line for the fuel tank.... and currently have the vent line capped that the off...

oh and my tune seems to be alright. I need a throttle cable that works better... my 4runner efi cable is to long And fraid....

side note... anybody know the proper way to hook up the heater core... would you come off the intake manifold directly to the valve?
I didn't figure it mattered a whole lot so I've ran mine from intake manifold into heater then out to valve then to the return on the drivers side..... (might always have hot water in my heater)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:53 PM

Got the "new motor" running good.... pretty sure the head gasket is bad... burns oil and water.....

So I tore into the old motor... The machine shop hasnt even finished my head......
So Ive got a couple obvious questions....

Things I think I need
Pistons and Rings
Oil pump

Like i said theres only 75k miles on the motor, its got the duel timing chain already
What else would yall recommend..?? And best place to source parts
yotashop.com seems good
Old 05-22-2017, 02:59 PM

So that little chip is normal?
number 2 broken ring

4 broken ring
3 didnt come out with out a few taps with a mallot and looks like this now...

Search this Thread