Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Strong vibration and wobble at high(er) speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strong vibration and wobble at high(er) speed

I have an '83 stock 4x4 and have recently encountered a problem. A couple of times recently I have been on the freeway for a short distance and have experienced a very strong shaking and wobbling. Now it does not happen regularly, but each occurrence has been similar: in 4th gear (4-speed), at 55-60mph, while taking a right hand curve. Also, each time, it seems to start after I hit bump or small pothole, and seems to generate at the back passenger side of the truck (but this could just be my imagination).
As I said, it does not happen regularly; there are many times I can be in 4th gear going 60mph and it rides just fine. My first thoughts were steering...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you worked on the front end lately?
If not I would put it up in the air and check for any slop, suspension and steering.
I would also check tires for belt separation.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jtbartholmey
while taking a right hand curve. Also, each time, it seems to start after I hit bump or small pothole, and seems to generate at the back passenger side of the truck (but this could just be my imagination).
Just to be sure I understand this correctly . . . the vibration/wobble occurs intermittently and ONLY when
1) taking a right hand turn
and INCLUDES? In other words both of these situations must happen for the wobble to occur.
2) after you hit bump or small pothole (only small?)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Just to be sure I understand this correctly . . . the vibration/wobble occurs intermittently and ONLY when
1) taking a right hand turn
and INCLUDES? In other words both of these situations must happen for the wobble to occur.
2) after you hit bump or small pothole (only small?)
Yes, the only time it has occurred has been under those circumstances. I believe it has happened 3 times in the last few months or so, and each time I am taking a curve and I hit a small bump, which seems to set it off. It will shake violently for a bit until I slow down.

I have not had it raised up yet to check the steering component, but plan to do that this weekend.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes, the only time it has occurred has been under those circumstances. I believe it has happened 3 times in the last few months or so, and each time I am taking a curve and I hit a small bump, which seems to set it off. It will shake violently for a bit until I slow down.
Does it feel like the wheel is wobbling in it's rotation - a rotational wobble?
or
Does it feel like the suspension is wobbling - like that shock is not doing it's dampening?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:09 PM

No, not a wheel rotational wobbling. I would say more so "bouncing".
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
No, not a wheel rotational wobbling. I would say more so "bouncing".
Okay "bouncing" , what shape is your tires in?
Any wheel weights missing, maybe a tire is out of balance.
Like I suggested before, you need to get under there and look for something loose or worn out.