Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Retrofitting newer OEM steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting newer OEM steering wheel

I'm sure that like most everyone else here with our gen of pickup, wear and tear and the sun and the elements had shredded my stock Hilux steering wheel requiring a replacement. I currently have an aftermarket wheel on there, but much like aftermarket car seats, I don't much like the styling of them -- either generic hotrod looks or pimp daddy gloss finish wood steering wheels.

What I'd like to do is to take one of the new OEM-branded aftermarket steering wheels offered at CARID or the like, the kind that has the cruise control/volume/phone buttons on them (my 1980 has aftermarket cruise control and compatible audio system) and even possibly an airbag. Have any of you done something similar to this? Please note that I'm well aware of the considerations and hazards of retrofitting an airbag system into an older vehicle, and I have to stress that an airbag is NOT the sole or primary reason I want to fit a later model OEM wheel. It's purely an aesthetic consideration, but if I can get an airbag on there as well, I'll go for it.