Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Ran some seafoam in the carb.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran some seafoam in the carb.

So I decided what the hay. added the 1/3 pint very slowly into the warmed up engine in spurts, it wanted to die so I stopped adding till it cleaned out, repeated half dozen times, finally it did die so I left it sitting for 10 min. coughed a tad on start up but ran good.
my truck must not be very dirty, because I got a little white/brownish smoke for maybe 5-6 sec then I drove away, I got a tad more when I flogged it thru the top of 3rd gear then it was back to no smoke at all.

so does that mean it was pretty clean in the engine to begine with?

I remember doing to an old chevy 350 and omg that thing put a cloud out like you would not believe, im talking looking like a pro street burn out haahah.

I thru the rest in the gas tank.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM

i just did my truck the other day with similar results, ive never seafoamed before but i didnt get anywhere near as much smoke as the videos on the net.

after doing an oil change after seamfoam my truck runs way smoother, twice as quiet and has a lot more power and a way wider power band! tho my truck had been sitting for like 2 years...
Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Did you do the seafoam in the oil or the carb? in the oil you will not get any smoke, its when added to the carb you get the smoke.
I was confused because you said after the oil change it ran better.

I am suprised you did not get a lot of smoke from sitting 2 years.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:18 PM

i really want to seafoam my yota, but where all do you add it to?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:21 PM

put seafoam in the gas, oil, and into a vacuum line. They recommend the brake master cylinder. Directions are on the can
Old 03-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by slisdexia
put seafoam in the gas, oil, and into a vacuum line. They recommend the brake master cylinder. Directions are on the can
Or in the carb, where I did it, and have in the past with other old trucks and cars. easiest way if ya have a carb haha
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 PM

I don't think it says that on the can........ you should never mix petroleum products with brake fluid/components.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95yoda
Did you do the seafoam in the oil or the carb? in the oil you will not get any smoke, its when added to the carb you get the smoke.
I was confused because you said after the oil change it ran better.
I put 1/3 in my oil, 1/3 in my gas, and 1/3 in my carb. And it's ridiculously better after the change.

I am suprised you did not get a lot of smoke from sitting 2 years.
Me too. I might try more one day, who knows. Have to replace my alternator brushes before anything.

Originally Posted by raydouble
I don't think it says that on the can........ you should never mix petroleum products with brake fluid/components.
I'm pretty sure he meant the vacuum line for the brake booster but foobarred.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
I'm pretty sure he meant the vacuum line for the brake booster but foobarred.
Just wanted to be sure

I could definitely see someone "flushing" the brake system with it.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Forbidden, you will want to do a oil change in about 1-200 miles now that you added to the oil. I did and have heard you should.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 AM

hmm.. i have used seafoam on my old honda trail bike, my chev, and my toyota and had little-no effect on performance. if anything it made the honda and chev run worse. with all due respect and i dont mean to be rude but.. i have never herd a creditable claim of any fuel/oil additive improving performance in a matter that would be an influence on daily driving/use. i usually run fuel additive every so offen just to keep stuff clean and i use royal purple oil and i have no complaints whatso ever.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 AM

yeah, sorry about that, into the vacuum line. wouldn't do much good in your brake lines! I did it twice in my truck, and quite a difference. didn't help the worn out cam though...
Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 AM

didn't help the worn out cam though...
lol
Old 03-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Forbidden, you will want to do a oil change in about 1-200 miles now that you added to the oil. I did and have heard you should.
I did already, I poured it in the old oil and just did a change, in fact, when I seafoamed it I was standing outside of the nearby garage ready to pull it in for a change (only because the TOTAL cost incl. labour would've been cheaper than doing it myself, but they refused to touch my truck because it's old )

Huge improvement with the oil change though (it was sitting for over a year). Before, I wouldn't start getting barely any power in first gear until 40km/h! Then I'd have enough to push me just enough to get into second and keep going. Hills were rough. Now I start losing power near that RPM range, which is good. The truck is actually quite zippy now, and MUCH quieter.

Thanks though!

Last edited by forbiddenera; 03-04-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seafoamed my 89 3.0 about a week ago. i noticed the same result (slight smoke). i figured that since my motor has 199,xxx miles its probably pretty dirty so i did a second round right after the first. TONS of smoke with the second round, and after i noticed it's much easier to start and idles much better than before. i put the remaining 1/3 in the tank and ran it through this weekend. my advice it to try it again. it's only 8 bucks and it sure doesn't hurt.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 PM

hmm well ill try it once more.. and let you know how it goes.. it might be a few days tho cuz my truck is all apart (new torque converter and flex plate)
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by rhale
I seafoamed my 89 3.0 about a week ago. i noticed the same result (slight smoke). i figured that since my motor has 199,xxx miles its probably pretty dirty so i did a second round right after the first. TONS of smoke with the second round, and after i noticed it's much easier to start and idles much better than before. i put the remaining 1/3 in the tank and ran it through this weekend. my advice it to try it again. it's only 8 bucks and it sure doesn't hurt.
Weird, maybe the first one started to loosen crap up and then the second one let it loose in the ozone? lol.

you pay 8 for your seafoam? I get it for 6. stuff used to be 4 back 10 years ago.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wanna know a neat trick? water does the exact same thing.. all its doing is steam cleaning your engine.

basically sea foam is just a safer way of doing it but if you have a steady hand.. a cup of water poured very slowly will do the exact same thing.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Island_Yota
wanna know a neat trick? water does the exact same thing.. all its doing is steam cleaning your engine.

basically sea foam is just a safer way of doing it but if you have a steady hand.. a cup of water poured very slowly will do the exact same thing.
I wouldn't recommend doing this, to much could really ruin an engine, I heard its alot safer using a spray bottle.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by dezrik
I wouldn't recommend doing this, to much could really ruin an engine, I heard its alot safer using a spray bottle.
Thats why it should be done very slowly and by a semi skilled person. I've seen it done myself by a toyota technician!

Quick Reply: Ran some seafoam in the carb.