Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Picking Up This Truck Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donomite49
nice rig, reminds me of my first yota a 79 that i ended up putting 83 front clip bed tilt wheel had 33 baja terrain bfg's with a 3 inch lift good luck n
That is part of what really drew me to this truck..
My oldest brother (who is 14 yrs. older than me) had almost this exact same truck.. I had many fond memories in it growing up.. He traded it in on a brand new Chevy 1/2t 4x4 in 94-95 ish.. & to this day still kicks himself & wish he had kept it...
It was one of the 1st vehicles I ever drove even at that age... (we grew up on a farm) And I still can't figure out if it will bring us to a great trip down memory lane, or if I will need to hide the keys from him when he sees it... although he lives 6+ hrs away.. I have already made plans on my vacation to spend it with my uncle & do the motor swap (built 22R) and start some winch bumper fabricating.. my uncle & him live about 20 minutes apart..
We have had 1st Gen Toyota's in our family for as long as I can remember.. Pretty sure I have been the only one to own anything outside 79-83.. being an 88.. 92.. & a 2000 Tacoma..
I called my uncle to brag (or maybe rub it in) & he says he still has all his plans & mock ups for the winch bumper he had before.. (it was REALLY nice!!) & he is going to look, as he thinks he still has enough scrap to build another one & maybe even a rear..
He has been wanting to do some sliders, so he's is excited to use me as a guinea pig, so he will know exactly what he will want when he does his...
Trust me when I say.. This truck will be nice..
Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Always good to have willing family or friends with tool, parts, and free time!! Wish I had more Yota fans close to me to work with. All my buddys are hunters and ropers, only got one thats a gear head lol.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Just got home!!!

Picked up the truck this morning...
Ran decent.. Had a small shimmy in 1st when at a dead stop...
& had a VIOLENT shake on the highway & didn't seem to want to go any faster than 60.. At first I was thinking... what did I just get myself into..
After about 15-20 miles I noticed it was worst when at a slight turn... After I pulled my head out of my A$$ & unlocked the hubs (felt pretty dumb).. truck went like new & 70 MPH the rest of the way home.. Don't know if I mentioned... but truck was about 140 miles away..
EVERYTHING works.. gauges lights (except 1 burned out reverse bulb) windows are a challenge but getting better with use, & key in drivers door is pretty still but works..
All in all pretty happy with the purchase.. Picked it up for
$1400.. Not a steal.. but I'm happy..
Only thing really not right with running condition is it pulls a hair to the right on braking & idle is rough.. But hey.. it's been sitting for about 9 months... I expected a few gremlins..
Besides a basic tune.. Any easy fix insights on the idle from all you YotaTech gurus..?

Oh ya.. he even gave me a new Haynes manual.. (he had 4or5!)
Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Sorry For The Shadows...

Old 10-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
looks good .. typical box rust ..

what are your plans ?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
looks good .. typical box rust ..

what are your plans ?

Ya... The box was worse than I thought... I will look for a box thru the winter... There are a few around here.. But come spring will probably end up building a usable flat bed..
Plans for the truck are going to be a stout DD..
Like I mentioned.. My uncle has a built 22R in his shop.. He moved on to 4.3.. I will drop that in eventually.. but this motor seems to be pretty tight still.. so in no hurry..
I should have 2in lift (OME & 63's) on within a few months.. Not sure what tire route I will go with...
The guts of this cab are even cleaner in person than the pics portray.. Covered in dust & dirt, it's cleaner than most I have seen...
I don't really have time to do much besides just drive it...
So I'm not going to go TOO overboard with the build... Just want a respectable truck to drive everyday.. But a promise it will be nice..
I will take pics as the build continues.. but it's not going to be anything that impresses the hardcore guys..

Thanks again all for the kind words all up to this point..
It really made my confidence level high on purchasing this truck knowing even as a new member I had my YotaTech family to help me along the way