Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Newbie looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie looking to buy

I've always loved the early Toyota pickups, and I've been looking to buy one the last few years. Unfortunately I live near Buffalo, NY, and cars just don't last that long around here.

Anyway, a 1973 just popped up on the local Craigslist:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3787773310.html

If it hasn't sold I would like to take a look at it, but I'm no mechanic. I have a couple questions for the experienced members of this forum:

1) Any trouble spots / warning signs I should look for?
2) Are parts for this truck available?
3) The ad says the heater core needs to be rebuilt. Will I have trouble getting a local mechanic to work on this?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
That is NICE! I wonder if it was never driven, or if it only came to NY really recently.

Compression test, timing chain noise, transmission noise. Make sure there's no coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. Check the floorboards at the four corners inside the truck for rust. It'll probably be there. It's up to you how much is ok. Rust is normal. Holes so that you can see the ground through the cab floor is getting bad...but people handy with a welder don't stress much about fixing that.

Parts: yes, but they're sometimes harder to track down. They're out there.

No problem. I'll bet you could do it yourself. So far as I know, there's no rebuilding a heater core. Just replace it. They can be found for cheap, and replaced in a lazy afternoon.

So...ask why he thinks that about the heater core. Often people will think (or say) this or that needs replacing, but it's really a completely different problem. Because they're no more a mechanic than you are.

Things to be aware of:

No matter the shape of the truck, it's 40 years old. It will need work here and there. If you're no mechanic, either plan to start gradually becoming one, or plan to spend money at your favorite shop. It's old.

Things add up fast. Oil leaks? Probably. And that's ok, if it's just some dripping. If it's dumping oil, that's an expense you've got to fix. Burning oil? Some is ok. A lot means probably major engine work before long.

Maintenance history? If you're lucky this person loves old trucks, and takes pride in what's been done to this truck, and they'll have records of what's been done and when (more or less).

I've got a 78. Same body style. Really cool little trucks, and I'd LOVE to have one in this kind of condition. Saw one for sale last fall but can't justify another vehicle...

As a lot of questions.

Worst case, if the frame and body aren't rusty, and you don't mind spending money, all mechanical components can be replaced. So if a project is ok, rust and rot are worse than mechanical issues. So poke around a lot, look at the frame, ask when it was painted and if there was a lot of rust. Get on your back and look under it. Really check out the frame, the floor of the cab, all that.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I read the ad more closely. Could be it's all original and really that nice, with no prior restoration. That's really cool. A lot of stuff you need to be really used to old vehicles to see...like whether it's been painted, bondo-d, etc.

Like I said above, if it's really as rust free as it looks, and you like it, even if the transmission and engine are blown, it's a good vehicle to buy (for a discounted price )

To be honest, it would almost sell for the asking price out here in Montana. And we're fairly used to rust-free vintage vehicles. If the owner isn't hiding any serious problems, I think that's probably a good truck at a good price.

If you buy it, you must come back and post more photos! But check it over close and ask a lot of questions.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies Zach, I really appreciate the advice. I will definitely look at everything you said. Agree on rust free being the most important quality, I will be checking the frame, floors, and corners as best I can.

The seller hasn't gotten back to me yet, but once they do I can ask more questions about the heater core. While I'm not very experienced working on cars, my first car was a 77 Celica, and I did learn a little doing small jobs like replacing the blower motor, etc...who knows, if this truck isn't too complicated maybe I will try to fix some things myself.

I'll definitely post pictures if I end up getting it!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I used to live in Cheektowaga & Watertown. That truck is probably one of the only trucks like it in Western NY. Though priced a bit high for most markets in this case I feel it comes down to how much you really want a 40 year old truck. It is gonna have some bugs.