Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

My 22R Rebuild - KawaZX636

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Like everyone already said, great job! I wish my 22R looked that good! Just wondering why did you desmog it?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I desmogged it because the lorax is my nemesis!

J/K the smog equipment was all clogged; hadn't work in years. The factory carb was gunked up badly and there were vacuum leaks everywhere. Plus I wanted a nice clean engine bay-something that smog equipment doesn't help with. Not to mention that there is now way in hell I could figure out how to put the engine back together with all the vacuum hoses in the right place. LOL
Old 07-03-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kawazx636

J/K the smog equipment was all clogged; hadn't work in years. The factory carb was gunked up badly and there were vacuum leaks everywhere. Plus I wanted a nice clean engine bay-something that smog equipment doesn't help with. Not to mention that there is now way in hell I could figure out how to put the engine back together with all the vacuum hoses in the right place. LOL
Haha thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This threat has been a huge inspiration for my project at home. I have a really sweet 1984 yota that was obviously treasured by a tree-hugging-hippy PO. The body is great, but it tossed a rod through the block and he didn't want to deal with it. I'm looking at buying all the desmog parts and a weber and going to town.

A few years ago I desmoged a 22r that I dropped in a 1977 celica, and I made all my block off plates with steel and a hand grinder. I wish I had just bought the LCE plates, would have saved me about two weeks of my life, but when you are a high school student I guess you value money more than time.

Keep posting, I'm learning a lot.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 PM

...Not to mention that there is now way in hell I could figure out how to put the engine back together with all the vacuum hoses in the right place. LOL
Oh man, thank you for this post! You have no idea lol! I posted some pictures of the 22R I am re-building from my '85 2wd pickup. Just so you know what your engine would look like if you were drunk and didn't know what you were doing! Hic! You are doing great work and you answered a TON of my questions, I seriously can't thank you enough.

Buy a lottery ticket or something, because I'm sending you all the good karma I can lol. I seriously spent all day reading through this and your De-smog thread. My girlfriend hates me ha ha. I think we might have actually talked about the Orioles on toyotanation.

I just got my timing and head bolted on. I'm just waiting for my clutch in the mail, and I'm going to start hooking for cheeseburgers and\or a Weber. I humbly take your advice. I have 3 Aisins lol.

You even saved me a few bucks at lcperformance! Ha ha, thanks again, great thread.
Attached Thumbnails My 22R Rebuild - KawaZX636-engine1.jpg   My 22R Rebuild - KawaZX636-engine2.jpg   My 22R Rebuild - KawaZX636-engine3.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks man, I'm glad that I can help some folks out. I'm not sure if I did talk to you on Toyota Nation (It's been a while since I've checked in there), but yes I am a huge O's fan - I even convinced my wife to name our son Camden. That's dedication!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Ha ha, right on, that was totally you! I think the O's have a pretty good team this year. K-Rod was a good pickup, the bullpen is nasty. I don't know if they can beat the Red Sox for the East, but I think they will make the postseason for sure. They can beat anybody then. Chris Davis turned into a monster, it has been awesome watching him hit. But this is a Toyota forum ha ha...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is my thread damnit...we can talk O's all we want here! LOL The Red Sox will collapse eventually, I'm more worried about the Rays right now. The O's have some figuring out to do in regards to pitching. They may make the playoffs, but they are not a playoff team without 4 solid starters. Gonzo, Tillman and Chen aren't going to carry the team on their own through the playoffs, especially if the O's have to play a wild card game to get in, which will screw their rotation for the division series. They got lucky last year with Saunders pitching a gem in the wild card game to keep their rotation set for the ALDS (I went to game 5 at Yankee Stadium too). I agree though, the pen is pretty solid now that Strop is gone (O's would have 4 more in the win column if it weren't for him and his crooked ass hat!). Delmonico for K-Rod is a cheap pickup since Milwaukee is dumping salary with no chance of winning the NL Central. He probably won't take much action from Johnson, but he'll be good for tight games in the 7th and 8th. More than likely, Duquette picked him up so he can trade him for a solid starter before the beginning of next season - I'd put money on it!
Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 PM

Ha ha, you're the boss

I thought Feldman was a pretty good addition to the starting rotation. I think Tampa has good pitching but won't score enough runs. They are a pretty good team though. I can honestly see both wild cards coming out of the East. I think Boston is for real (it pains me to say this) but I think the East will probably play out until the final weeks in September. It's going to be a great pennant race.

I think the O's are pretty scary because they have a decent ability to score runs. Adam Jones and Matt Wieters are two very under-rated players - perfect guys to build a decent offense around considering they play less offensive minded positions. Machado is unbelievable, same with Davis. Even Markakis is pretty good. Buck is pretty good with the bullpen, and I expect it to be lights out now. I watched Strop and Johnson blow a few games this year that were winnable. Hopefully K-Rod nips that in the bud.

I'm thinking there might still be a move or two before the trade deadline, so it will be interesting to see what happens...
Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well I decided to take all the engine pulleys and brackets off to strip and powdercoat. In case some of you don't follow my build up thread, I bought a powdercoating kit from Eastwood a while back. So I wire brushed the paint off of all the engine pulleys and brackets - The duplicolor high temp paint that I used was crap so it went fairly easy. It's kind of depressing knowing that I spent so much time and money prepping and painting the parts, but the powdercoating will be well worth it - they'll last longer than the motor and we all know that will be a long time given the longevity of 22R motors!

Took everything off, AGAIN...
Name:  null_zps88923b54.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  131.2 KB

Paint stripped:
Name:  null_zps47c6d098.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  134.5 KB

Powdercoated gloss black:
Name:  null_zps87f262e5.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  126.3 KB

Re-installed:
Name:  null_zpsd301642e.jpg
Views: 1645
Size:  139.6 KB

Name:  null_zps09bf9ee9.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  null_zps7ac75237.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  149.9 KB

In all, it took about 6 hours of work to disassemble, strip, powdercoat and re-install. Well worth the effort and what I love about powdercoating is that once the part cools it can be put into service immediately. No more waiting for paint to dry!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 PM

On this last post, how did you strip the paint from your pulleys so quickly>
Old 05-19-2014, 08:25 PM

Starting into an engine rebuild that I thought would take a couple of weeks. After reading this thread and the total length of time to get through it all and realizing I have to work around my job, wife and kids, maybe I need to adjust my expectations.

Really, really nice work on the engine and chassis. Hope mine looks half as good.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by Roark
On this last post, how did you strip the paint from your pulleys so quickly>
Just used a 6" wire wheel on my right angle grinder. The grinder has a locking trigger so I set the grinder in my vice and work the parts on it.

Originally Posted by magistrate98
Starting into an engine rebuild that I thought would take a couple of weeks. After reading this thread and the total length of time to get through it all and realizing I have to work around my job, wife and kids, maybe I need to adjust my expectations.

Really, really nice work on the engine and chassis. Hope mine looks half as good.
Thanks man! There's nothing to rebuilding these engines - like I've said before, the 22R is the easiest rebuild I've ever done. The only reason why it took me about a month and a half was because I was cleaning and painting every single part, nut and bolt as I re-assemble it. If I had all the parts laying out in front of me ready to go, I could easily build this motor in a day. I too have to work around my wife and kid throughout this project - plus playing baseball, coaching baseball, doing my brother's maintenance on his rental properties and my actual career. It can be done though. LATE LATE nights are how most of my work gets accomplished, but I'm a night owl so it isn't unusual for me to go to bed at 2am and wake up at 6:30am to head off to work. As soon as my son goes to bed then I head out to the garage, but now he's getting to the age where he can help me out a bit now so I have more options during the day.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am wrapping up my truck's restoration so I figured I'd post a couple of the engine's final resting place here as well as some pictures of the truck.

Pre-wiring and plumbing:
Name:  6FB0A533-7E06-4FDA-985A-BE4987C76E49_zpsunev9roz.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  131.1 KB

Plumbed and installing wiring:
Name:  00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000001DDB_zpsqr3c9ptn.jpg
Views: 2352
Size:  127.4 KB

And ready to fire:
Name:  7BA03512-5128-4739-AF18-53447BA28494_zpszb4xamsk.jpg
Views: 2451
Size:  253.5 KB
Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Here is the first fire up:

Running during break-in at about 1,500-1,600 RPM:

And the exhaust - just above normal idle at about 900-950 RPM. Rocker Ripper Header, Thrush Welded Muffler, braided stainless flex pipe and 2.25 piping:
Old 05-11-2015, 12:24 PM

You do nice work.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Where did you get the aluminum radiator?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is a Silla Radiator that I got off eBay. It is for a 84-88 pickup, but fits perfectly with no modifications
Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM

It is a Silla Radiator that I got off eBay. It is for a 84-88 pickup, but fits perfectly with no modifications
That's actually a cool thing about these trucks is that the radiators are interchangeable between the first three generations. I know a few guys who have third-gen V6 radiators in first-gen trucks for additional cooling.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM

fuel line routing

You think you could post some close up pics of the rubber fuel line routing from hardline to mechanical fuel pump to Weber? Return line as well. I wanna hook up back to my Mech pump cause it's still there and works. I can feel air coming from the out rhythmic with the rpm.

My electric pump gets too Damn noisy when it's got an air pocket. Po installed it in engine bay so it works hard to pull fuel up and starts rattling like mad at times.

Also, you think I could keep my electric pump in line to my mechanical pump as back up? Would the mechanical pump pull fuel thru the electric pump if it was off? And then, would my electric pump be Able to push fuel thru mechanical pump if it was not working?

Congrats again on your awesome build, stripe package and new addition to the ohana.

Quick Reply: My 22R Rebuild - KawaZX636