Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

My 1978 sr5 20r resurection

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 1978 sr5 20r resurection

I'm not sure if I'm in the wrong section of this forum or not so let me know if I am. But I'm resurrecting my dads old 1978 sr5 its a long bed with a 20r engine in it. It is 2 wheel drive with ifs. I'm wanting to ultimately turn this into a 4x4 and lift it a bit. I want to get into this passion but I'm not sure where to start. I have no idea how 4x4 conversions work or what I'm going to need also I'm not sure where to start with lifting exactly. will a 20r even work for a 4x4?

What we've dont already:
After sitting in black berrys for the past 18 uears I decided I wanted to fix it up.
We pulled the fuel tank out expecting to see the inside completed covered in rust when we were surprised with just some stale fuel some water and some varnish on the walls. So that coating on the inside of the tank did it's job. We also checked the oil level it's good. We bottle fed the engine to see if it would run and it did. We opened up the carb and it is virtually spotless. We also did a compression test and the findings are as fallows:
Cylinder 1: 175 psi
Cylinder 2: 175 psi
Cylinder 3: 175 psi
Cylinder 4: 180 psi

Considering that this little truck has 121000 miles on it I feel like the compression is fairly good. So if anyone has any suggestions or comments on anything about this I would love to hear it.

We cleaned the inside of the fuel tank out to get the varnish out. And we're either going to buying a carb kit for the carb or buy a webber is it worth it?

I am being very optimistic about this thing I have tons of ideas that I think about every day so I'm going to list them and tell me what you think.

-cummins Diesel engine
-Chevy engine
-Rino lining the bed
-Rino lining the inside of the cab
-fabricating a new dash (the current one has some splits in it)
-converting it into a 4x4 with a solid front axle.
-suspension and body lift. What would be better?
-fabricating new bumpers
-putting a deep straight pipe on it
- converting it into a street legal crawler

So what would I need I've heard of people using Chevy parts on these toyotas
What Chevy parts would I need what engine would be best? is mine okay? Links or answers would be so helpful.
Thank you.

Also I tried looking for threads about my truck but I'm having a hard time finding anyone whos workin on anything older then a 1980 sr5
Old 07-16-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
You're going to need to do a TON of searching and researching. A lot of this info is out there if you use the right search terms, and unless someone experienced has a lot of extra time on their hands, no one is going to spoon feed it to you.

You're talking serious modifications. All of them can be done, but it depends on YOUR experience level, YOUR knowledge, YOUR fabrication abilities, not what someone on a forum tells you is possible.

You clearly know very little about these trucks so you've got a long way to go.

Some pre-79 Toyota pickups were converted by dealers to 4x4. They're called Wolverines. So yes it's possible, and all through Toyota history the same engines have pretty much been used whether it's a 2wd or 4wd. All pre-82 (I think) 4x4s have 20Rs in them.

I don't know what your abilities are...whether you're just new to Toyotas or new to this whole deal. Some of your questions show that you have very little to no truck modification experience. This is quite a job for someone like that...

I'd say, if you have a ton of spare time, start by searching the internet forums, here, Marlin Crawler, and Pirate 4x4, and seeing what's what. For a while. I mean like months, before you'll really have an idea of the beginnings of the answers to your questions.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM

There's a thread on pirate4x4 you want to look at. Not finding if for you cuz idc but its there if you look.

I would not suggest registering there unless you just want to pm the op of said thread

Edit: do not consider anything bigger than a 4.3 v6 if using toy axles

Last edited by Logan81Pickup; 07-16-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 AM

Yes at Pirate they don't tolerate questions that have already been answered. We have a link here on this site to their FAQ.

Pirate is full of people who know how everything on a truck works, and how to fabricate their own new parts that are better for their uses than the original parts.

I'd definitely check the site out, but I've never seen another site where it's allowable to come right out and say "$$%* you, you stupid #$%^ licker, your mom ((*& my #$%! last night and she mentioned you don't know **&^ about trucks either."

Just because you asked "which is better, suspension lift or body lift?".
Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 AM

1210000 miles is young. Very young. My engine lost its crosshatch at 472,000, the R series engines, when cared for, are amazingly robust.
I definitely advocate dropping the tank to get it cleaned, rebuilding the carb. Your compression looks fine, it's a healthy little motor.
Despite what denizens of the web might tell you the 20R is a great offroad motor, and with a good transmission, it'll move a 4X4 pickup along at a good clip with ease.

As for the Chevy swap... there are incurable diseases I would rather have than to recommend putting one of GM's boat anchor engines into a Toyota.

With the questions, spend some time poking around the forums, many of those mods have been done and posted here. Search is your friend.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotMoose
1210000 miles is young. Very young.
.....and the extra zero adds a cool million miles.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
.....and the extra zero adds a cool million miles.
What can I say, there's no kill like overkill.

Nonetheless, 121,000 (got it right that time, ha!) is still far from even doing a timing chain. That's a really young engine.

Last edited by RobotMoose; 07-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM

Hhahaa thanks for the positive encouragement guys I'm doin allot of researching and just trying to learn everything I still have no idea what all is required for a 4x4 swap but I'm sure ill figure it out soon. It's probably gonna be a spendy project but this was my dads old truck and is rather use it then go buy some other truck that's already 4x4 just because it means more I guess. I Bought a new airtex fuel pump and strainer and a new webber carb WK746-38 so I'm pretty stoked to get it all put back together and give her her first oil change.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Zollman65
Hhahaa thanks for the positive encouragement guys I'm doin allot of researching and just trying to learn everything I still have no idea what all is required for a 4x4 swap but I'm sure ill figure it out soon. It's probably gonna be a spendy project but this was my dads old truck and is rather use it then go buy some other truck that's already 4x4 just because it means more I guess. I Bought a new airtex fuel pump and strainer and a new webber carb WK746-38 so I'm pretty stoked to get it all put back together and give her her first oil change.
I've been thinking about the 4X4 swap idea, and I think your first place to start is to get yourself a donor 4X4 truck.
This is why:
None of the hardware you have is technically compatible as 4x4 gear, except the body (kind of) and motor. A donor truck will have the 4X4 frame, suspension, transmission, and driveline. From there, you strip it down to the frame, and swap your Dad's truck's body onto it, clearance the fenders, transmission doghouse, and you have yourself a conversion.
That's gonna be alot of work, but I understand that to you, it'll be worthwhile: I'd probably do the same thing if I were in your place.

Somewhere on the Marlin Crawler board, a guy built up 1973 Hilux into a 4X4, and I believe he did just what I've listed above, but I think he attached the donor's front frame horns onto his original frame and boxed it, because he wanted to try and keep it on as much of the original frame. That is an alternative, but it's more work, because the 2WD frame isn't as beefy as the 4WD frame.

Finally, you're more likely to find a newer truck than a First-Gen as a donor, which means a high likelihood for IFS up front. To be perfectly honest, the IFS works fine for anything short of hardcore wheeling, and I've seen a few basic IFS truck whip even well-built beam axle trucks and then come back around for more. In fact, I guy I knew when I had an FJ40 and was part of the TLCA swore up and down by his second-gen 4Runner "stocker with a locker". This truck had every disadvantage in the world, 3.0 V6, auto, H-series t-case, IFS, and because he knew how to pick a good line, it kept up with the top dogs with no breakage.
Sorry for the long digression there, but my point is, if you swap to a newer frame that has IFS, I suggest you live with it for the time being, and later consider doing a Solid Axle Swap (SAS) down the road after the rig is working fine, an SAS changes alot of the characteristics of a truck.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 PM

Okay that sounds like a good idea. Ill have to see if I can find a donor truck in my area. Do you know of what years would be compatible with my truck? Because as what was said earlier the only 1978 4x4's were the dealer converter ones and they were called wolverines. As 83 said.
Also what about the fuel line, I cleaned the tank bought a brand new carb so what about the fuel line should I blow it out and clean it? Or could I buy a high quality rubber fuel line and run that?
Thank you
Old 07-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Not one single truck will be "compatible" with your truck. All will require fabrication skills. Someone who has actually done some similar conversion is the one to ask...

The deal will be how body mounts and suspension parts line up. If you know what to measure, you can measure those vital parts of your truck, then compare them to other model 4x4s.

But having never done this conversion...I can't tell you where the key points are to measure on your truck and on the donor truck. I think it's mostly going to be body mounts. But even that will probably change...

Finding someone who has put a pre 79 truck on a 4x4 chassis is the way to go. They might not hand you measurements (or they may), but they can at least tell you what you need to measure on your truck, and what year 4x4s aren't too far from those measurements.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by 83
Not one single truck will be "compatible" with your truck. All will require fabrication skills. Someone who has actually done some similar conversion is the one to ask...

The deal will be how body mounts and suspension parts line up. If you know what to measure, you can measure those vital parts of your truck, then compare them to other model 4x4s.

But having never done this conversion...I can't tell you where the key points are to measure on your truck and on the donor truck. I think it's mostly going to be body mounts. But even that will probably change...

Finding someone who has put a pre 79 truck on a 4x4 chassis is the way to go. They might not hand you measurements (or they may), but they can at least tell you what you need to measure on your truck, and what year 4x4s aren't too far from those measurements.
83 really hit the nail on the head, here: fabrication. You either need master-fabricator skills, or a ton of cash to burn on this project. A third option is a ton of patience and no fear to work it in baby steps.

As a Plan B, and my personal recommendation, is to just restore your 2WD pickup and leave it as a 2WD pickup. The bitter reality is that converting it to 4x4 is alot of work, time and money, and after all that it'll very easily get trashed and thrashed as a wheeler or offroader.
I think you'd be happiest and most headache-free if you go over it with a fine-toothed comb, and bring it back to show-room specs to honor your Father as he knew the truck when he drove it. For the price of converting, you can clean it up and still buy a cheapie thrasher rig for the trails, everybody wins.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by RobotMoose
83 really hit the nail on the head, here: fabrication. You either need master-fabricator skills, or a ton of cash to burn on this project. A third option is a ton of patience and no fear to work it in baby steps.

As a Plan B, and my personal recommendation, is to just restore your 2WD pickup and leave it as a 2WD pickup. The bitter reality is that converting it to 4x4 is alot of work, time and money, and after all that it'll very easily get trashed and thrashed as a wheeler or offroader.
I think you'd be happiest and most headache-free if you go over it with a fine-toothed comb, and bring it back to show-room specs to honor your Father as he knew the truck when he drove it. For the price of converting, you can clean it up and still buy a cheapie thrasher rig for the trails, everybody wins.
Alright you guys I'm convinced. But I'm still gonna try to put some meatier tires on it so it will look a little better. But why about the fuel line what should I do with that? Should I just buy some copper tubing an bend it? Get rubber fuel line? Or somehow clean my pre existing fuel line. If so how would I go about that?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM

Yeah you know a mild suspension lift and some slightly bigger tires would look pretty cool. Gotta make sure they fit in the wheel wells, though. You might be able to get away with upgraded front coils and springs, and add a leaf or two to the rears and new rear shocks. Remember though that once its lifted up, stock springs no longer fit and you need to research to know what length shocks fit.

Remind me...what's wrong with the fuel lines?

So you have the tools to bend the tubing? You could probably find replacement fuel lines new, or try junkyards.

Last edited by 83; 07-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM

Unfortunately doing Internet research on this year truck, you'll find a lot of info on lowering them...not so much on lifting.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by 83
Yeah you know a mild suspension lift and some slightly bigger tires would look pretty cool. Gotta make sure they fit in the wheel wells, though. You might be able to get away with upgraded front coils and springs, and add a leaf or two to the rears and new rear shocks. Remember though that once its lifted up, stock springs no longer fit and you need to research to know what length shocks fit.

Remind me...what's wrong with the fuel lines?

So you have the tools to bend the tubing? You could probably find replacement fuel lines new, or try junkyards.

Not exactly sure it just been siting for 18 years so I'm just assuming it's going to need a new fuel line. An i just baught a new weber carb so i didnt want to run a bunch of crap through it when i put it on.

But yes we have a tube bender. My father and I do allot of fabrication when it's needed we own a small engine repair shop so like law mowers and tractors and what not and sometimes fabrication is needed to make parts I've just never done anything for trucks.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

Well, sounds like stainless steel lines are available, so I'd go with that! Not sure what the source is, though...Or the expense.

I've gotten in the habit of replacing all the rubber fuel lines when I buy vehicles this old, but haven't done any hard line replacing yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zollman65.... Hey bud maybe I can give ya some inspiration.

You have a pretty old truck. Have you checked the frame to make sure its in great shape? I'm unaware of your location but here in WV rust is a killer on these little trucks.

Now it sounds like your headed in the right direction. Fixing the little things first just to get it drivable. That's great. Now personally, I Hate Webers. The Aisin's are by far the best carb for these R series engines. I have a brand new Weber 32/36 right now for sale because I don't like it.

As far as fuel lines. I'd keep it just like toyota had it. Run all steal lines except for fuel pump to Carb and a small piece from tank to main line.

Now this is what is do if I were you. Get this thing restored to how you'd like it to be and look. Once your finished then you can think about 4wd. Throw a SA under it. Of coarse you will need some parts from a Donor Rig. Trans, transfercase, SA. Steering box. But once you source all of your 4wd parts then buy your self a IFS eliminator kit. Now of course this kit isn't gonna work as easily as it would for a 86-95 truck but its the basics. Find a old truck and pull some measurements so you know we're what goes. Once done you will have a sweet little rig.

If you don't like that idea then try to source out a 79-85 pickup frame. Swap your cab onto it. The only major modifications needed here would be your body positioning and body mounts. But anything is possible.

And I believe Someone also mentiond a IFS frame. 86-95. That would be great to. Once you have that then later on you could SAS the ifs frame.

But it's your choice man. Your thoughts and wishes are only limited by your knowledge and skills.

Post some pics of this little truck
Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by 83
X2! I've seen a few 2WD trucks out there with more aggressive tires, and they looked great. With a little squeezing and work, you might be able to get stock-sized 4X4 pickup tires under it.
Stockers for first-gens are what, 30"? In BFG A/Ts, you'd have a nice look.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 AM

Stock size is a bit more like 28, but I've always run 30x9.50 on my 4x4s, and they're a good mix of a little more clearance and filling out the wheel wells, but still working with the stock gear ratio and all that.

I think 30x9.5 is equivalent to 235/75R15, but I'm not positive.

If you could get 15" rims, and 225's on there I think that's stock 4x4 size.

My 78 has 185's on it. But 14" rims.

You're going to be limited on tire size if you stick with the 14s.

A guy on the Chinook forum has a couple extra leaf springs and slightly lifted front, and he's got 235/75R15's on his 70s camper. Looks pretty cool and adds a good amount of clearance. He also added a rear locker, and he goes about anywhere he wants to, no 4x4 swap needed...

Quick Reply: My 1978 sr5 20r resurection