Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

LN61 CV noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LN61 CV noise

Righteo this is giving me the willies... Has anyone had noise from their CVs after winding up their torsion bars? I got a harsh grinding noise coming from front right when hubs are locked in 2 or 4x4... It comes in at random times but usually goes away under heavy acceleration, and disappears at near idle in high 1st. It's not my hubs, they're fine, I had a problem where the circlip on the end of the axle came loose and the axle floated inwards towards the diff so I figured hey, there's my problem... Changed the circlip, drove up and down the driveway, SWEET! Get down to Goolwa beach, bam it's back and ready for more. Pulled the cv out, the inboard tripod joint looks awesome, clean grease and no damage, the outer birfield feels smooth under full rotation... The front prop shaft is fine, the diff is fine (apart from questionable end float from the offside sidegear shaft flange), I even drained the oil just to be sure, no metal whatsoever (none on the base of the housing either)...

The one thing I've found to be funky is with the inboard tripod joint, under rotation it locks up, but it doesn't look or feel warn at all (it just seems like it's the way it is), the needle rollers and rollers look fine. I'm just wondering if it's not supposed to operate at this angle (which can't be more than 30 degrees), and after winding up my torsion bars, they work at this angle all the time, and the locking up I'm getting from turning by hand is the grinding I'm getting when driving.

Problem is I can't remember if I've been offroad since I wound them up......
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's okay don't worry, thanks for the help lolololol. For anyone who's interested...
Inside the stub axle are bronze bushes, and the inner one supports the inner end if the cv axle (and the freewheeling hub supports the outer end)... Between the cv joint and the stub axle (where they mate) are dust seals, where I failed to replace these seals (for $100 or $200 each) because of cost issues 3 years ago, 3 years of offroading has washed the grease clean out and the bronze bushing is dry as a bone.

The grinding I was getting was in fact bad vibration caused by binding and bouncing as the shaft turned against the dry bush.

My temporary fix for my upcoming trip - Greased the hell out of it, whacked it back in

Proper fix - Change the bushings (if I can find any), and all the seals necessary, and grease.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, glad you got it figured out, but you probably would've gotten more help if this was posted in the right section. I'm guessing from your pic and you talking about cv's and torsion bars that you have an '86-89 Runner. You gave me something to check on my Runner too, now that I have it road worthy again, so thanks!