Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

I just got a '82 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a '82 pickup

Woop, i now have 3 toyotas

Anyway, any quick reasons why she doesn't really want to idle? It starts and runs fine but you have to hold the gas a bit to keep 'er goin'.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably needs the carb looked at.

Pics or

Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 PM

Looks exactly like this one, will get real pics tomorrow (hopefully) she's stuck in a -load of snow..

Cost me $100, and its buried at the back of an acerage.

Edit: Posted real picture

Last edited by forbiddenera; 02-23-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM

turn the idle up a bit untill you can rebuild the carb, that's all i did.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Got a pic.. Forgot to record the tow out of the snow, would've been fun.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it sputter when you let off, or does it straight up die like you shut off the key? If the latter, check the 15A "Engine" Fuse. That was blown on mine and it wouldn't idle?
Old 02-23-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by rowdy235
Does it sputter when you let off, or does it straight up die like you shut off the key? If the latter, check the 15A "Engine" Fuse. That was blown on mine and it wouldn't idle?
I will check it, it idles fine when it's cold. It definitely sputters when you left off - almost backfiring a bit. She definitely doesn't like off throttle engine braking, any ideas?

Trying to drive this thing is insane after rolling around in a Supra with a racing clutch for a while, especially since it has no tach.

The alternator barely works. A good chunk of exhaust fell off earlier, haha, I think there was a newer manifold in the bed but my friend stupidly threw it in a huge pile of snow. There's no front bumper and only one headlight works, on highbeam. The pot on for the dash light is worn so there's barely any light there.

The oil light is coming on intermittently at some RPMs, though, after sitting for quite a while the oil is black but full up and the coolant looks great, not bad for such an old thing. Will do an oil change as soon as I can afford it.

The heat doesn't work, well, the window defroster works great (at least I can see?), everything else just blasts cold air..

Other than that, she starts easy and runs pretty good. I'll toss on some new plug wires tomorrow and see what else I can do.

Last edited by forbiddenera; 02-23-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that you are from alberta...
Please, for your own safety and the safety of others on the road, check your frame. Be sure to check in behind the gas tank. Use the spiked end of a tack hammer and go nuts on the inside frame rail.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by shaw_j
Being that you are from alberta...
Please, for your own safety and the safety of others on the road, check your frame. Be sure to check in behind the gas tank. Use the spiked end of a tack hammer and go nuts on the inside frame rail.
That's kind of funny. I mean, not the safety aspect, just, the rust. Will do.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Exclamation

Wow, I just ran out of gas..LOL.. Is there some better gauges I can swap in?

Seriously the needle wasn't even on the E line.. Compared to my supra which goes like half a cm past the E line before it runs out (I get like at least 25-40 city km once the light comes on), and my '89 runner which I did at least 150km on when the light came on way past the E line..
Old 02-24-2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by forbiddenera
The heat doesn't work, well, the window defroster works great (at least I can see?), everything else just blasts cold air..
That's interesting; mine (1979) does the same thing. I get heat from the window defroster vents on top of the dash, but the vents on the front of the dash blow cold air when the truck is moving, even when the heater fan is off. I wonder if that's a common problem with this generation of Toyotas. Does anyone know what the cause and/or solution is?

Last edited by MaximRecoil; 02-24-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
There have been some threads on this. If you don't have AC, the two side "ball" vents just let in air from outside, they aren't connected to anything. You can turn them sideways and no air will come out. I can't remember the settings...but my lower center vents only blow heat on certain settings, otherwise they just vent outside air into the cab. So I wouldn't call it a "problem", since that's how it's supposed to be. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed it that way though...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 83
There have been some threads on this. If you don't have AC, the two side "ball" vents just let in air from outside, they aren't connected to anything. You can turn them sideways and no air will come out. I can't remember the settings...but my lower center vents only blow heat on certain settings, otherwise they just vent outside air into the cab. So I wouldn't call it a "problem", since that's how it's supposed to be. Not sure what they were thinking when they designed it that way though...
Ah, okay. Well that's one less "problem" that I have to worry about. I've never had a vehicle that worked like that (usually you need to select "vent" or whatever on the heater controls before outside air gets vented in), so I figured something was broken.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 AM

Yeah, no problem. If you can find the thread...can't remember what it was called it may be in the archive but it's in this section. People have blocked off some of the vents with cardboard or something and say that helps a lot. I just turn my ball vents sideways, and turn the center vents away from me. My...what do you call it...well the actual heat control is broken so I can't control the temp. It hot all the time because the valve that turning the temp to "hot" opens is gone, so there's always coolant flowing to my heater core. So having those ball vents is great for me. Once I'm up to highway speeds it's nice to mix some cool air into the cab.

Not an ideal set up but you can find ways to make it work for you!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 83
I can't get any warm air coming out the middle one but I'll try again..

Turned the ball vents out, helps a bit.. Still sucks having cold air constantly blowing at my hand on the shift knob.

Anyway, I adjusted the carb a bit and now she idles! I think it's running a bit rich now though. Changing oil tomorrow. Misfiring a bit, gonna check the plugs and wires.

Any info on adjusting the carb? The FSM is a little confusing for me on that one.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM

http://www.bluebassdesign.com/boonin/carb_faq/

That's as much help as I can give in the way of carbs...

Hmm..I can certainly get my center vents to not blow cold air. It just got cold here again so I'll check out what mine does on what settings (if I remember) and get back to you tomorrow. You really may just want to block those off.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:02 PM

First off I would check all the vacuum lines. if even one is disconnected then it will effect the whole system! good luck man! and if that doesn't work, i say buy a $40 carb rebuild kit and go from there. I just rebuilt mine last weekend and she runs like a champ!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by forbiddenera
Wow, I just ran out of gas..LOL.. Is there some better gauges I can swap in?

Seriously the needle wasn't even on the E line.. Compared to my supra which goes like half a cm past the E line before it runs out (I get like at least 25-40 city km once the light comes on), and my '89 runner which I did at least 150km on when the light came on way past the E line..
Mine does the same thing. But when you fill it up it goes waaay over the full line. I guess thats sposed to make up for it? lol

Originally Posted by MaximRecoil
That's interesting; mine (1979) does the same thing. I get heat from the window defroster vents on top of the dash, but the vents on the front of the dash blow cold air when the truck is moving, even when the heater fan is off. I wonder if that's a common problem with this generation of Toyotas. Does anyone know what the cause and/or solution is?
Mine does that too. I get defrost fine and foot vents fine. I turn the ball vents to the side and if you point the center ones down as far as they will go that shuts them off.

Originally Posted by 83
I have factory A/C and mine do this too.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Mine does that too. I get defrost fine and foot vents fine. I turn the ball vents to the side and if you point the center ones down as far as they will go that shuts them off.

FOOT VENTS?!

I didn't even know there were any, I stuck my hand down there and didnt feel anything, man, they must be blowing cold air, my feet are always freezing after driving.. It's like -20c out right now!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 AM

I have an 81 and it's the same "vent wise". The 2 sideball vents and the center console goes to the outside air and the A/C I believe. The heater vents on the feet are one on each side of the console on the foot board. Down by the gas pedal and other side. you see them pop open when you flip the vent. As for empty space for air cavities, that's the 80's for ya' those spaces are all filled in these days. Federal law prohibits a completely enclosed cabin space for Carb monox poisoning. So, you will feel the breeze of big government.

Quick Reply: I just got a '82 pickup