Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

How do y'all tie down your rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do y'all tie down your rigs?

How do y'all tie down your rigs when hauling on trailers. I'm using chains and binders to pull forward and rear. Chains over the axles in the middle of the axle. Should I worry about bending an axle tieing down like this?
Old 09-03-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I use the straps that go over the tires.

Not sure if that is Federal or State law

It is quite possible to bend things if you go crazy when you tighten things down .

Protect things with padding under the chains

That is the trouble with chains tighten them down tight so things don`t move and bend and damage things not quite that tight and there loose

Ratchet or snap binders??
Old 09-03-2017, 06:03 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have used a set of these for years
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Axle-Strap...ZYGlA2&vxp=mtr
Old 09-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I use the straps that go over the tires.

Not sure if that is Federal or State law

It is quite possible to bend things if you go crazy when you tighten things down .

Protect things with padding under the chains

That is the trouble with chains tighten them down tight so things don`t move and bend and damage things not quite that tight and there loose

Ratchet or snap binders??

Ratchet. I like to use heavy nylon straps but they tend to get cut etc. To from Colorado 2000 miles round trip hauling it I used ratchet chain binders with the chain ran over the axle in the middle on the front and just offset on the rear. I just didn't crank way down and also only had about 10 psi in the tires which gave a little cushion. The truck rode great I just was paranoid about messing something up. I see all these guys trussing their axles which leads me to believe that they are weak in their factory state.

Being that i am going to be hauling it a lot to and from my deer lease about 600 miles round trip, I need to find a way that I'm not constantly worried about bending an axle or a strap braking or getting cut from rubbing on the trailer.