Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

suggestions before turning over my 83 20R?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions before turning over my 83 20R?

This is the '83 toyota I want to get running again. The Yellow one to the right is a parts truck.
The engine has not been turned over in more than 10 years. It is stored in a fairly dry climate..
This '83 4x4 has not turned over in more than 10 years. I just read on this forum that I should squirt Marvel Mystery into the cylinders before I turn it over. Is there anything else I should do before I proceed?
If I can get it started and drive around a little I am quite interested in de-smog it and install a weber carb. I have read about them on this forum.
I cranked it with a wrench, and the pistons turn fine. The starter is stuck or finished, but that is a different story. I will try and start it after I work my way through the starter problem.
All the fluids are still in it:antifreeze, brake fluid, oil, have not leaked out. It is in a dry area in Interior Alaska (cold dry winters, a few inches of rain a summer)
Anyway, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
At least change the oil out. Do a cursory look at the wiring under the hood. Those pesky mice just love to chew on wiring insulation. Cap all the open vacuum lines. I would pull the plugs and coil wire, crank until you see the oil light go off. Then reinstall

Last edited by Lons81; 09-25-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 PM

OK, yea. Change oil. Crank until the oil light goes 'on' or until it turns off? Not sure what you are saying there. Thanks for answering!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
With plugs out and coil wire pulled, allows the engine to turn over easier without compression. When cranking, you can circulate and build oil pressure before putting the the plugs and coil back in.

With the key in on position, the oil pressure light should be lit with zero pressure. When starting the light will stay on until the oil pressure builds and light goes off
Old 09-26-2017, 12:04 PM

thank you. That is the sort of thing I am looking for. I never would have known that if I hadnt found this forum.
I have worked on my own Toyotas for 30 years. However, If I install a weber on this, it will be the most ambitious project so far.
If I can get it going it should be a good rig for me, it sure was before.