Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Heart Transplant

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Transplant

My plan has been, for the last year or so, to swap my 20r for a 22r in my 1980 pickup. Then I happened across the 20r/22r hybrid. Sounds all good, but having only about 3 years experience wrenching on cars I'm learning as I go. The build sound pretty straight forward with just a few odd-ball things to address. From the sounds of it block height and head height are a bit different and that an adjustable cam gear is needed along with an electric fuel pump. Aside from that I believe I have everything to complete the build as is but I'd like to upgrade the cam and rebuild the rocker arm assembly due to worn rocker arm shafts, and throw a new carb on. At the moment I am busting rust and cleaning up the engine compartment, sorting out wiring, removing/repairing shady fixes (wire nuts, electrical tape, unneeded grounds and the like). Since the motor and tranny are out I figure it's a good time to swap clutches. Any good recommendations? Currently running the L43 trans, although I have a W56 in the corner of the garage for a later project(dual T-cases). My big hang up right now is that I have the 22r head on my bench waiting for machining/valve job while my 20r keeps staring at me from across the garage like I just shot its dog! I could just go on with the 22r build as planned, but I kind of feel like I'd be wasting that 20r head. Any advice would be a huge help. BTW here is where I'm getting a lot of my info http://www.fallonz.com/archive/truck/20R.html if you want to give it a look-see.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't recommend you do it.

Get a 22r and put it in and be done with it.

Sell the 20r to a racer, pocket the cash.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok you did not say early or late 22r you can only put the 20 head on the early 22 block I have a 20/22r hybrid in my 82 just check out my build and see the problems I had nothing major but a bunch of small stuff. I ran the 22r carb on 20r intake and also desmogged it. and did away all but 2 or 3 vacuum lines, I loved the little engine in my 2wd I got ~30mpg with it. But I agree just use the 22r.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:13 PM

The block is from an '82. Thanks guys for the input. The head hasn't gone to the machinist yet. I'm gonna mull it over a bit more, but less problems is definitely a perk. Still busting rust and degreasing, laid down some paint. She is coming together.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it would work then. but I had problems with my timing and the engine pinging, also the LCE adapter plate for the carb not sealing good, also I had a head gasket blow within the first 10 miles. not saying all of that was to do with it being a hybrid. it did run good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu5N...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-23-2017, 06:15 PM

I decided to go with the 22r head for simplicity reasons. Turns out the head has been machined before and is out of spec, machine shop won't do anything with it. So I brought them the 20r head out of necessity. They said it had a .005" warp to it and if they machined it out, the head would be out of spec as well. I know the head gasket is around .060" thick or so and that would soak up the warp but I wasn't willing to take the risk. I dropped $125 on a head that is guaranteed to be rebuildable from Yota Jim's. Let's see what they say.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM

Ok; if you need a 22r head let me know, I have one and my machinist has one as well. I think his is done and ready to go, customer failed to pay up and left it.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:14 PM

skypilot, thanks for the offer. My machinist called me today and said the head I just bought is out of spec. I can't seem to get a break when it comes to getting this thing back on the road. He said he is going to check into a few things and get back to me. My block is an '82 so if either of the heads you were talking about are compatible with the earlier block I am interested but not sold as of yet.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:13 AM

Ok; check the year of your engine block, it does make a difference since a change in deck height was made in 1984. Mine is an 88 the other I have to look. Someone may have swaped the engine.\ before you got it.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Quick update. I was able to get a head that works, all the machining has been done, long story short the truck is back together with the rebuilt motor installed. Through the massive amount of problems that occurred during the swap ( I'm sure that's normal) I managed to get everything in order which is surprising due to the fact that I've only been working on vehicles for about 3 years aside from changing a couple of water pumps and fuel pumps in the past. That said I think my battery is shot. It doesn't want to crank over for very long. I got it to fire twice before the battery went belly up. I understand everything is tight and the piston rings aren't broken in yet, so I assume I'm putting quite a load on the starter. The plan is to swap the battery and see if that helps.