Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

fuel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel issues?

Well i ran my truck out of gas the other day and ever since then it doesnt want to run right. It will crank up every now and then but only after pressing and releasing the gas pedal several times. The problem comes when it does crank up it will idle sometimes but if i give it any gas at all it bogs down. My cousin told me he thought the fuel filter might be clogged but when i looked for one i didnt see anything so i dont think it has one i checked the fuel lines and they had gas flowing through them and weren't clogged or anything. Is my carb just dirty from it sucking in bad gas? or could the fuel pump have gone bad for some reason? Any help would be appreciated!

*EDIT* Sorry forgot to say its a 1980 4x4 Longbed with the 20R motor.

Last edited by buckshot307; 04-09-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
1. drink a beer and curse the previous owner for not putting a fuel filter on.
2. have another and pop the top off the carb and see how it looks.
3. pop the fuel line off the carb and put in coffee can ect and have someone crank it a few times with the starter to see if the pump is working (am sure there's other tests but I don't know them)
4. have another and fix apropreate problems OR scratch head, and get back on yotatech.
Good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by buckshot307
Well i ran my truck out of gas the other day and ever since then it doesnt want to run right. It will crank up every now and then but only after pressing and releasing the gas pedal several times. The problem comes when it does crank up it will idle sometimes but if i give it any gas at all it bogs down. My cousin told me he thought the fuel filter might be clogged but when i looked for one i didnt see anything so i dont think it has one i checked the fuel lines and they had gas flowing through them and weren't clogged or anything. Is my carb just dirty from it sucking in bad gas? or could the fuel pump have gone bad for some reason? Any help would be appreciated!

*EDIT* Sorry forgot to say its a 1980 4x4 Longbed with the 20R motor.
I could be wrong as I have never owned one, but.... Isnt the filter tucked in behind thge motor against the firewall or something like that?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Team420
I could be wrong as I have never owned one, but.... Isnt the filter tucked in behind thge motor against the firewall or something like that?
I dont know where it was originally. Haynes manual said its close to the tank or under the hood (only two places it could be lol)

But I think it was close to the tank because there was a spot where the the hose was spliced with just a metal tube not too far from the tank but idk what would possess someone to take off the fuel filter...

And i've never really taken apart a carburetor before and im too young to buy beer Ill probably try it though because i'd never changed a clutch before and i did that all by myself last week haha
Old 04-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Drink another beer and look for BOTH fuel filters! There's two fuel lines going to the pump. One line has the fuel filter under the hood on the passenger side fender and one line has the fuel filter next to the take below the filler door. It's very common for somebody to remove one of the fuel filters thinking that they have two on one line, but they are wrong. I removed both of my factory fuel filters, ran new fuel lines and put some see through in line fuel filters under the hood just before the fuel pump and then one on the line from the fuel pressure regulator to the car (double protection baby!)

I am 99% sure that a clog fuel filter (or lack there of) is your problem because I did the exact same thing, but I fixed my fuel sending unit afterwards so that I would get an accurate reading on my fuel gauge. ;o) You can still get fuel at idle, but when the carb tries to pull more fuel it is clogged just enough to bog it down. And sometimes it can take a while for the blockage to build up before it will bog down too.

So drink another beer, clean that carb. If you had no filter then those jets are going to have to be cleaned out too. Put so filters on and you'll be goooooooood....drunk too.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by bingle
1. Drink a beer and curse the previous owner for not putting a fuel filter on.
2. Have another and pop the top off the carb and see how it looks.
3. Pop the fuel line off the carb and put in coffee can ect and have someone crank it a few times with the starter to see if the pump is working (am sure there's other tests but i don't know them)
4. Have another and fix apropreate problems or scratch head, and get back on yotatech.
Good luck.
x2
Old 04-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Well i decided to grow a pair and open that thing up and sure enough there was junk all in the jets so i sprayed em out real good and that got 'er runnin! Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The first time is a little scary, then you get confidence, then you royally screw somthing up, learn from it and get mor confident. Glad our help got ya back on the road! Love them first gens, the harder you beat them, the more they love ya!