Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Failed Smog - Gross Polluter - Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Smog - Gross Polluter - Now What?

so my 82 22r failed smog at idle today.
heres the numbers...
first test
HC
max GP Measured
250 350 676

CO%
max GP Measured
2.00 3.50 6.01

second test after some adjustments

HC
max GP Measured
250 350 361

CO%

max GP Measured
2.00 3.50 4.01

at 2500rpm it is perfect

hc
max gp meas
200 400 60

co%
max gp meas
2.00 3.50 0.05

recently rebuilt carb. replaced almost all the vacuum lines. was running premium fuel, recent oil change and spark plugs.
any ideas what to check or change to make this thing pass? im open to all ideas

thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmm yes, think the safest bet is to change your address, to a state that doesn't start with C and end with
Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe you just need a new cat, also i wouldnt run premium fuel. premium burns slower and if it doesnt get burned all the way, you engine will just dump the unburnt fuel out the exhaust creating higher HC.
a tune up and running some seafoam wouldnt hurt
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 PM

x2, change the cat, retard your timing a couple degrees and run 1 pint of rubbing alcohol to 5 gallons gas.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Hmm gross polluter means you're not even close.... An '82 with CA smog problems is anything but "pennywize." This could be an pricey proposition...The Cat definitely needs attention after 30 years and check the smog pump, it's usually rusted out as well... I would start with the Cat and work backwards... They aren't cheap $200-250. Check your air lines thoroughly, make sure there's no false air..Retarding the timing, premium fuel will give you negligible returns, but it surely can't help..

Marlin Crawler has a company that sells after-market smog pumps, if you need to go that route....Or just get really friendly with your local smog station mechanic.. I'm feelin your pain, been there, Good luck,
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

its a federal emissions truck so there is no air pump. i dont know a ton about catalytic converters but it runs so clean at 2500 rpm it seems to me that the cat is functioning though a new one wouldnt hurt.
thanks to all for the input. ive got some ideas and will probably do a pretest before the next official test just to see whats up.
i'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would suspect the premium fuel is the issue. do not use fuel rated over 87, you just wasting money with the 22r on premium.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
I would suspect the premium fuel is the issue. do not use fuel rated over 87, you just wasting money with the 22r on premium.
wonder if that might have contributed to my failure for High Hydrocarbons
gonna drain the fuel and fill with cheap junk.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This response is premature and most likely not the case, but if all other suggestions have failed one bizarre experience we had was a charcoal/purge canister that had somehow completely filled up with gasoline, yes in the liquid form. The engine was simply drawing fuel straight in through the vacuum system causing crazy high hydrocarbons. My guess was this resulted from topping off every tank all the way up the fuel neck somehow allowing the fuel level to stay higher than the purge tank.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. It was really a freaky deal!

BigMike
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM

You cuold sell it to me! I promise I would take good care of her.Just let me know a price.What I would do with a rust free toy!!!I do hope you get it figured out. What some stupid laws there.Sorry I think that johnny law.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by BigMike
This response is premature and most likely not the case, but if all other suggestions have failed one bizarre experience we had was a charcoal/purge canister that had somehow completely filled up with gasoline, yes in the liquid form. The engine was simply drawing fuel straight in through the vacuum system causing crazy high hydrocarbons. My guess was this resulted from topping off every tank all the way up the fuel neck somehow allowing the fuel level to stay higher than the purge tank.

BigMike
this is not a freaky at all. it happens alot. i have seen and changed out alot of these canisters where they are filled with gas, most of the time its due to topping off the gas tank causing the vent valve to pull in liquid gas and not fumes like its suppose to do. cars i work on are mostly year 2000 and up so i didnt even think of this but good place to check as well
Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

BigMike
this is new to me, thank you for the info. bigmike. Might need to make this one another of the mandatory steps too check out each time smog is due. Again thank you vary much for the good information.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Converter looks tired since it wll pass when hot and at operating temp and cools off for idle test. In Calif, do they run idle test first then high idle test second? Looks to me it just missed second time. Mixture screw adjustment? Gas in oil? PCV working? Needs cruise first. What's GP?

Last edited by Thelast83inNJ; 07-02-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:26 PM

one thing i just remember is that the vacuum advance will stop working due to a ripped diaphragm
Old 07-03-2011, 03:00 AM

I thought you would be exempt from emissions testing in CA on a vehicle that old or that you could get an exemption. Street Rods are exempt in CA. In Pennsylvania you are exempt if you drive any vehicle under 5,000 miles per year and all Street Rods, Classic and Antique cars are exempt from emissions testing. My 1983 Toyota truck is exempt from emissions testing.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 AM

in CA, its only 75 and older i think. they stop moving the years up. i dont know when they stopped but they did. i wish they didnt cuz my 82 would be exempt by now and soon my 88 lol
Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
I thought you would be exempt from emissions testing in CA on a vehicle that old or that you could get an exemption. Street Rods are exempt in CA. In Pennsylvania you are exempt if you drive any vehicle under 5,000 miles per year and all Street Rods, Classic and Antique cars are exempt from emissions testing. My 1983 Toyota truck is exempt from emissions testing.
There was a time when we had a 30-year rolling exemption but it was repealed in 2005. We now have a fixed exemption date of cars manufactured in 1975 or older. Here is a quick read on California smog exemptions: http://www.recarbco.com/technical/smog/sb42summary.html

It REALLY blows chunks. Next year I'll have to smog my 1981 Hilux yet again even despite having a modern clean burning Tacoma 4cyl EFI engine under the hood. Based on the old law, 2012 is supposed to be my first year of smog exemption!! ............ it's too sad for us...

I'd love to up and leave this ridiculous state but I think they might notice if I take Dusy/Ershim, Rubicon, and the Hammers with me

BigMike
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM

And old article: http://www.catmbr.org/SB42pg.htm

In late 1997, a bill was passed by the California legislature making 1966-1973 vehicles exempt from the smog check program. This bill was called SB42 and was unanimously passed because of support letters sent in from people like you and me. Unfortunately, SB42 is in jeopardy of being repealed due to Smog Check II's failure to bring emission levels within federal standards. Once again, the California Air Resources Board is wrongly blaming old cars for smog problems.
Hey guys, so how do we get this going again? Look at this example letter to mail in to our elected officials: http://www.catmbr.org/sb42doc.html Why don't we start a thread and a big push on this throughout all the automotive forums and try to bring the rolling 30 year window SB42 law back??

Last edited by BigMike; 07-03-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 AM

And old article: http://www.catmbr.org/SB42pg.htm

Hey guys, so how do we get this going again? Look at this example letter to mail in to our elected officials: http://www.catmbr.org/sb42doc.html Why don't we start a thread and a big push on this throughout all the automotive forums and try to bring the rolling 30 year window SB42 law back??
i blame nascar and drag cars
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
i blame nascar and drag cars
Go on...

Quick Reply: Failed Smog - Gross Polluter - Now What?