Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Charcoal canister full of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charcoal canister full of gas?

Hi All,
Coming home the other day and the truck dies at a stop light. After checking for the usual suspects (and having a random stranger stop and say a 4 minute prayer, blessing me and my truck) I get it to start again (prayer??), but very rough running and smoking bad....and I have a lot of fuel dripping from the charcoal canister. Can anyone tell me what is pumping fuel into the vac lines?

Thanks!

'81 22r shorty
Old 10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any recent work done on the truck?
Old 10-25-2006, 05:36 PM

I just bought it a few months ago, so I couldnt be sure. The distributor and coil look new, but other than that it all looks like a motor with some miles on it. I replaced the plugs and wires when I bought it....
It acted gas starved when it died, so I replaced the fuel pump and filter. But still had fuel coming from the canister.
I just went out and got it started, but it runs rough and smokes pretty good. I have to keep it floored to keep it running about 2-3000 rpms. It ran fine prior to this weekend....
Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just for the heck of it unscrew the gas cap and see if the fuel system is vapor locked, if it is you should hear a suction sound as you unscrew the gas cap. if it is then your charcoal canister might be plugged up. thats the only thing i can think of right now.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

Are you "topping up" the tank after the auto shut off on the pump?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hillbillyz
It acted gas starved when it died, so I replaced the fuel pump and filter. But still had fuel coming from the canister.
I just went out and got it started, but it runs rough and smokes pretty good. I have to keep it floored to keep it running about 2-3000 rpms. It ran fine prior to this weekend....
Maybe and this is a big maybe since I dont have my FSM for your vehicle handy. It could be possible that your vapor line was crossed with your fuel return line. However like I said its a big maybe. Hopefully you have this figured out by now. Like WATRD it could be to much fuel in the gas fill neck.
Keep us posted
Old 10-26-2006, 05:51 PM

may have found the source...

Thanks for the advice.....I tried the gas cap, but didnt hear a suction, so I dug a little deeper and started pulling hoses.

I pulled the hose that goes from the carb to the canister and found to be full of gas. I then started it up without the hose in place and after about 15-20 seconds of running, gas started to flow from the carb (at the missing hose).

So, I think I have nailed down the source of the problem to the carb, but am now wondering what in the blue heck would cause this. The nearest part on the carb I can find is called the "outer vent control valve".....I have tried to research it my Haynes, but it doesnt really cover much in the rebuild manual. I went to my guy at Advance Auto Parts and he was saying it looks like a dealer item, it wouldnt be included in a rebuild kit, and I was SOL. I would hate to throw down the $$ for a new carb....

I am trying to post a pic ....hope it works

Thanks for the input you guys.....greatly appreciated

Old 10-26-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
Maybe and this is a big maybe since I dont have my FSM for your vehicle handy. It could be possible that your vapor line was crossed with your fuel return line. However like I said its a big maybe. Hopefully you have this figured out by now. Like WATRD it could be to much fuel in the gas fill neck.
Keep us posted
You know, both are possibilities.....I filled up with gas the afternoon before......and when I started tracing vac lines compared to the Haynes diagram I found a couple to be in the wrong place/capped off. I tend to not overfill the tank though....I did this to the wifes car... vapor locked it and got to walk UP the last mile of the mountain to Cloudcroft, NM for help hahahahaa
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM

Ok, if gas is comming out the vent control valve then the float in the carb is either set to high or is stuck open. the vent control valve is used to vent gas vapors to the charcoal canister, there shouldn`t be any gas comming out the vent.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Ok, if gas is comming out the vent control valve then the float in the carb is either set to high or is stuck open. the vent control valve is used to vent gas vapors to the charcoal canister, there shouldn`t be any gas comming out the vent.
Ah-ha! Thanks for the help!
Im not a mechanic, but know just enough and have the tools to really screw something up before I have to take it to a pro. Ill try to get to the float and check it out.
I am just glad to be getting it narrowed down to something. I will try to free it up and see how it works.

Thanks for the advice you guys. Ill post the results.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM

Back on the road!

Originally Posted by myyota
Hey MYOTA,
You were right on about the float. The pin had slipped and the float was hung when I pulled it out of the carb. It looked to be in good shape, but I went ahead and replaced it along with the aux pump diaphram....it runs like a champ now. The float is set a bit high according to the site glass, but everything ran great and it seems a lot more responsive now.

Thanks to all for the input on my problem.

Here are some picks of the truck you guys help keep on the road!

Old 10-28-2006, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Are you "topping up" the tank after the auto shut off on the pump?
Why would that matter -- I always have and always will fill it till it's coming out the hole! -- U never no when that extra gallon might save your life?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:56 PM

Glad I was able to help you out.

I just rebuilt my carb and got it back on my truck today, works like new.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by millertime_t1
Why would that matter -- I always have and always will fill it till it's coming out the hole! -- U never no when that extra gallon might save your life?
Topping off or overfilling the tank floods the charcoal canister. The canister is designed to hold vapors, not raw gas. It's not uncommon to see grains that look like coffee grounds in the intake manifold/throttle body of a vehicle with a malfunctioning canister because the owner repeatedly overfilled the gas tank.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

As he mentioned, because the system is not designed for that. Modern vehicles have complex emissions systems that can be damaged by overfilling. This is not a 1960's car you are talking about.

That extra gallon might save your life? Sure... if you happen to be in a one in a million situation, but it is almost certainly going to damage your rig over time and cost you money. I know which way I will bet. If you are commonly in situations where an extra gallon might save you life, get a gas gan, a spare tank or a rig with a bigger tank. Take a look at your owners manual, learn a bit about your vehicle and you might discover a few things you don't know...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 PM

I do have an auxiliary tank 105 gallon -- I think I do know a little bit about my vehicles-- I have also put as many as 280K miles on a single vehicle without problems! -- So I think I will continue to fill the tank till she runs on the ground<---
Old 10-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

I do have an auxiliary tank 105 gallon -- I think I do know a little bit about my vehicles-- I have also put as many as 280K miles on a single vehicle without problems! -- So I think I will continue to fill the tank till she runs on the ground<---

Knock yourself out. I don't have to pay for your repairs.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 AM

would it hurt to remove the charcoal cannister all together? im putting a weber 32 36 on my truck as we speak and my cannister is flooded as well, but i believe my float is stuck open... just curious
Old 12-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Holy 5 year old post resurrection Batman!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Screwing up the vacuum lines will flood the canister too.
Ask me how I know.

:wabbit2:

Quick Reply: Charcoal canister full of gas?