Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

another weber carb concern

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one i got is a dgav. It has the Carb legal plate on the carb. Will the adapter plate help line up the hole on tue carb and intake manifold?
Old 12-17-2011, 04:39 PM

OMG, 20 posts later and you are still asking the same question. I answered this question in post #5.
Extreme pretty much laid it out for you, he has lots of experience with Webers.
Yes, you need an adapter plate. Call Weber. Tell them what you are trying to do. Let them fix your problem.
You ask for help yet fail to take it.
Goodbye...
Old 12-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Which adapter plate does everyone reommended?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:57 PM

I just got a transdapt for one of my 80 models. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2120/?rtype=10

Just make sure to pay attention to whether you are ordering for a 20R or 22r, different bolt patterns. But you will have to raise linkage! If you use the weber spacers, you are more prone to having air/vaccum leaks.

Hope this helps, cheers!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tried the cast spacler that came with the Weber, never with the gaskets that came with it. My buddy tried that setup on his '84, never got it to work right. Made my own gaskets with the sheet paper stuff and still didn't ever get a good seal. If I may say so, I'm pretty good with gaskets, I prep the living Hell out of the surfaces and torque everything evenly in steps. Never had a Holley, FoMoCo, or Rochester carb with any spacer setup ever leak. Still couldn't get the Weber pieces to seal. The LCE 2 piece is a pretty nice machined piece instead of cast, and sealed up nicely. If I'd known about the Trans-Dapt piece, I'd have gotten that to have as few possible leaking areas, though.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by aadown1214
I just got a transdapt for one of my 80 models. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2120/?rtype=10

Just make sure to pay attention to whether you are ordering for a 20R or 22r, different bolt patterns. But you will have to raise linkage! If you use the weber spacers, you are more prone to having air/vaccum leaks.

Hope this helps, cheers!
^^^^ THIS. And check my build thread. The install of the trans-dapt piece is in there as well. It took a little more work, but tat two-piece unit is pure junk.

BTW Race-mart.com has this cheaper then Summit, however if you tell summit it's caper, they will match it or you. Including the shipping.

You will need a few more things with it. Which will be available at Lowes and Autozone. Mainly the linkage spacers and new longer bolts for them. Even if you get the LCE spiral adapter , your still gonna need these spacer since you didn't get an entire kit from wherever you got it from.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-18-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Anyone know how tall of a spacer will be perfect for my linkage with that adapter plate? I just want to have it ready before I received the part when i do order.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:41 PM

Extreme, thanks for posting those before and after pictures of your spacer installation. I just came in to try to find them again on your build thread, but I forgot which page they were on! I just installed the transdapt kit (same one I linked to in my earlier post) on my truck and it seems to work fine. My spacers are only 1" high, and I think 1 1/2 would probably be better.

The 2 piece adapter I took off said "Redline" on it, and looked like something I would make here at home if I didn't have the right parts. Bleah.

Initial poster: the adapter plate will attach to your intake manifold, and the carb will attach to the adapter. Slightly different bolt patterns. If you have the two piece, the lower one will attach to your manifold using some funky allen flat head screws, and the upper adapter will attach to that using some different allen head screws. The carb will then attach to the upper adapter.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I remember correctly, the LCE adapter did come with the linkage spacers. I'll look around and see if I have the old bracket spacers somewhere to confirm it. Or I could post a pic of the bracket spacers so someone could tell if they're different than the Weber kit pieces.

You can see the spacers on the left and the adapter's height as well. Do the Weber spacers have 2 lines on the outside of em or not?

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 12-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM

Those aren't the same as the weber ones. Looks a little taller too.

If you get the Trans-dapt one, your gonna need a plug too.

I can't remember what size they were as far as length. I normally take pictures, and of course my Lowes receipt is no where t be found for them. I did manage to get a pic of the plug though.

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Got the new 1 piece adapter in Friday night.

1st thing I had to do was plug up this hole for the PCV. Didn't really have to since my 87 doesn't have a provision in the intake manifold for the vacuum port, but just to be on the safe side.

With the time constraints I was working with I didn't take many photos of the whole process. The studs themselves were a little off on the adapter making it a little difficult to get the carb onto the top of it, but I managed with a little persuasion.

The next thing to do was extend the extensions that were in place from the original weber kit since this adapter is a little taller then the two-piece. Lowes ended up having what I needed as far as the sleeves and longer bolts. NOTE: the linkage bracket came extremely close to the EGR valve that I still have in place making it a little tricky to get one of the bolts in.

Before

After.

No I didn't put more mud on as a part of this process.The before photo was taken when the carb was put on over a year ago.

After trying several times to get this two-piece adapter to seal correctly this is what I am left with. I tried using that fuel safe never dry super tacky sealant, didn't work. I tried using thicker gaskets that I cut from material bought from NAPA, didn't work. Last resort was using ultra black RTV with the homemade gaskets, also didn't work. NOTE: using RTV made it extremely hard to get this thing off as you can probably tell in the next few photos.

And lastly, pic taken at approx 11:30 at night. Notice my work light?

Didn't get a final installed pic with the filter on, but I was worried about hood clearance with the taller adapter and the taller type filter. But it clears, but extremely close. After install,

I noticed a great reduction in idle (due to the vacuum leak caused by the two-piece adapter, so I had to screw in the idle speed screw. In addition to that I went from 2 1/2 turns out on the mix screw to approx 2 turns out. Still tweaking on it though. Both the girlfriend and I noticed a change in exhaust tone as well. An improvement in low rpm throttle response is also felt. It's still somewhat of a dog though with the 33's and 4.10's but I can feel it.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM

And to confirm you said yours was the DGAS? (or is it DGAV I forget) Either way both are water choke. So it DOES have a WATER choke and not an electric choke?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Will I need to plug the PVC on the trans adapter if I have a 82 22r?

Last edited by Eg-r; 12-22-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:44 PM

I would. I didn't have to since the stock manifold didn't have that port in it, but still did it as a precaution. I don't know if the earlier model had that provision in the carb plate or not.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM

I can't seem to find those plugs anywhere...
Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 PM

I got mine from autozone.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 AM

I haven't plugged mine yet as Ace Hardware doesn't sell those plugs, but I will the next time I go by an parts store. I wrote down the numbers from XXXtreme's photo. :-)

My intake manifold doesn't have any place for that hole to go so it isn't leaking or anything, I just don't like it there. I wish who ever had removed and blocked off the emissions control stuff from my motor had the same sense of aesthetics, as it is a mess and I don't really know where to start.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:42 PM

I've block mine off due to installing the carb first before the adapter was bought. I have the PVC connected to my brake booster hose. The trans adapter Was Install this past weekend. Everything went well and thanks to everyone here for the help