Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

20R carb spacer/insulator

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
20R carb spacer/insulator

I need the spacer that goes between the 20R intake manifold and the carb. I've been looking around at some local yards, but have come back empty handed. Does anyone in the aftermarket industry make these things? Looks like it's some type of phenolic material. Has anyone gotten away with not using one?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey man, where do are you from on Delmarva?! I live in Salisbury, MD and I've only seen one 1st Gen Toyota running around here other than me... and I would have noticed your bright banana rolling around. Have you had any luck searching for parts at local junk yard at all? I'm looking for a few things, mainly a short bed for my 83 pickup, but I haven't had much luck.

As for your carb spacer. I'll check my garage to see if one came off when I put the Weber on my 22R, but I don't think that there was a spacer. It could be different on a 20R though. LC Engineering might have them as well, check them out:
http://www.lceperformance.com/

Have you thought about slapping a Weber on you truck??
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Howdy! I'm up in Kent Cty DE. Only been down to Salis a few times in my truck, but I've seen a few other 1st gens on the road up here. There's a brown 82 or 83 that I've seen a few times near the shore and a really pristine red 79 or 80 with a camper top. Haven't had much luck finding parts at any of the local yards.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the 20R and 22R used a different spacer. I know that they used different carbs. Also checked with LCE and doesn't look like they carry anything that would fit my needs.

I've thought about a Weber for my truck, but I haven't been able to convince myself that it's worthwhile. Most of the info I find on the 20R/22R Weber conversions is for 4WD trucks with mixed reviews, where people have reported mpg's in the upper teens to mid twenties with a moderate increase in power. Granted, I know that the Webers can be tuned to give better mileage (I run twin Webers on another car and get 35 mpg), but before this headache with the warped spacer, I was seeing mileage as high as 34 mpg with the stock Aisin carb and power was sufficient for my needs with great driveability.
So with that said, I think I'll hold off on the Weber until I've exhausted all possibilities of revival for the old stock Aisin setup. I think all I really need to get back on track is a good spacer. Why open up a can of worms when I could theoretically solve this puzzle with one part...know what I mean?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:12 PM

There is a spacer sold by LC engineering to use the 22r carb on the 20r intake. http://www.lceperformance.com/Asian-...-p/1033000.htm
Hope that is what you are looking for. oh and if you are making a 22r/20r hybrid can you post HP and torque ratings? I am really interested in what one would make with stock internals. thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I just rummaged through my box-o-parts and no spacer, sorry.

I understand your logic. I'm getting 20 MPG on my 83 4WD (up from 12MPG with a smogged aisin). I also like the fact that my engine bay is nice and clean without all the speghetti of vacuum hoses! Most guys that I've heard complaining about webers are extreme wheelers that flood the motor going up hill and high altitude guys that can't get it dialed in. I put my weber on, tuned it and had it running just right after about a week of slight fuel adjustments.

Drop me a message if you ever find yourself down near salisbury in you truck, I'd love to scope it out. And keep an eye out at the junk yard around you for first gen parts - particularly a short bed and a 22R motor. I want to get rid the step side bed on my truck and I would like to find a motor that I can work on rebuilding so I don't have to take my truck completely out of commission while I rebuild the motor... It gets way better mileage than my V8 Tundra! If you're looking for any other parts, let me know and I'll keep my eye out when I'm searching around.