Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

So I'm hooking up my new welder and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so kinda off topic. but I need a welder to weld up a sas, a rear bumper some sliders some custom interior compartments and anything else I might need to fab. any idea what I should get? the most I want to spend is about $700 so it will probably be used but I can't find any good 220v guys on crags list for around that price. they are all really expensive $5000 machines or crappy chicago 110v guys. I did find one. it's a dc arc welder Lincoln Electric model AC/DC 225/125, code 10426-205 with a bunch of other equipment thrown in for $300. It has not been used but there is a small dent in the outer case but apparently it didn't hurt anything. do you think this could work for what I need it for? I don't know much about arc but i'm sure I could learn. I have a friend that is an expert welder that is willing to teach me. It includes a new helmet gloves some electrodes and a few other things.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't offer any advice - I still haven't fired mine up yet!

Too many other home and truck projects in the way. I think flux core would NOT be for you, if you are doing nicer, interior stuff. I'm not worried about it because I don't mind some splattering with my suspension work I plan to do - I can always grind off anyway.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 AM

the interior stuff I don't care so much on how it actually looks. It will be built to be useful not to look good if you know what I mean. for the interior stuff I am making some security boxes that are also waterproof to keep electronics and other valuables in. It will be completely hidden under some wooden storage cabinets that I am making. The wooden boxes will also have a metal lining that I will have to weld making them completely water tight too. They will be built kinda like large amo boxes just with a nice wooden box around them. I don't really care what the suspension looks like as long as it is strong. Nice looking welds are just a plus.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by nathanmyers
so kinda off topic. but I need a welder to weld up a sas, a rear bumper some sliders some custom interior compartments and anything else I might need to fab. any idea what I should get? the most I want to spend is about $700 so it will probably be used but I can't find any good 220v guys on crags list for around that price. they are all really expensive $5000 machines or crappy chicago 110v guys. I did find one. it's a dc arc welder Lincoln Electric model AC/DC 225/125, code 10426-205 with a bunch of other equipment thrown in for $300. It has not been used but there is a small dent in the outer case but apparently it didn't hurt anything. do you think this could work for what I need it for? I don't know much about arc but i'm sure I could learn. I have a friend that is an expert welder that is willing to teach me. It includes a new helmet gloves some electrodes and a few other things.
I love stick welding, those little Lincolns are awesome machines and good deals are everywhere. They aren't for sheet metal, but they are a versatile machine, especially that model.

Look at the Hobarts, the 187 is around your price range and is a nice unit. Talk to your friend the welder a little more, and take a class if at all possible. Good luck.

Last edited by Resto-noob; 07-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM

+1 on taking a class!

And when I was searching CL, I found a TON of Lincoln tombstone welders...I just didn't know how to use one so I went a different route.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Philbert
+1 on taking a class!

And when I was searching CL, I found a TON of Lincoln tombstone welders...I just didn't know how to use one so I went a different route.
I'm holding out for a used Miller thunderbolt.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 AM

Yea... I will definitely take a class. Maybe I will get a tig and a cheap mig. the mig just being for sheet metal. I will try to get into a class at my local community college this next semester. I'm taking classes there anyway so it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited by nathanmyers; 07-25-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM

what class should I take? they have a bunch of options. I'm thinking it is probably structural welding 1 that I would want to take.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM

I took one in the bay area in CA at "techshop" - not sure they have something similar in CO.

http://www.techshop.ws/

I took the MIG class here:
http://www.techshop.ws/take_classes.html?storeId=1

I would find something similar locally, maybe your local comm college has it?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM

Yea... I don't know... The college doesn't offer any MIG or TIG classes without taking about 9 credit hours first in safety and metallurgy. Maybe somewhere else would have a better class. I really wish I had the class you took here philbert that looks just right.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM

cool... I found some classes. they are 4 hours long and are $50. the first half of class is spent in a lecture second is spent welding. they have classes in mig, advanced mig, tig, advanced tig, and cutting. I think i will just take all of them.

Last edited by nathanmyers; 07-25-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 PM

After that, you'll have a much better idea of what you want. Sometimes the LWS will run discounts for students, you may want to look into that.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 PM

wait... what is Lws stand for? to me LWS is an aircraft manufacturer. I'm guessing that's now what you are thinking though.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little stick machine will do fine when you learn how to handle it. Take a beginning class that includes stick welding if you can because that may be the hardest process to learn, but the chepest way to get started. Once you can stick weld the other processes will come easy. Pay attention at shops on how their booths are set up and also observe and ask your instructor for tips on setting up a fab table. Learning the basics is pretty easy, but the possibilities are endless. Have fun and be creative.

Last edited by Buck87; 07-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buck87
A little stick machine will do fine when you learn how to handle it. Take a beginning class that includes stick welding if you can because that may be the hardest process to learn, but the chepest way to get started. Once you can stick weld the other processes will come easy. Pay attention at shops on how their booths are set up and also observe and ask your instructor for tips on setting up a fab table. Learning the basics is pretty easy, but the possibilities are endless. Have fun and be creative.
100% agree. LWS=local welding supply
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Exclamation Quick Question and need response today (please)

I'm finally getting my own 220V in the garage!!

Wife has a contractor coming by today to quote out installing some new sockets in the house, including a 220 in the garage for me (yay!). I need to know what to have her tell him to set up/quote out.

I believe I'll want to have him install a 50A breaker/receptacle, right? The Dryer is 30A, and I had initially planned on using that, but now that I'm getting my own in the garage I want it done right. Is there any reason NOT to do a 50A breaker/receptacle for a 220V Flux Core welder?

Earlier in this thread, you can see the Leviton (Home Depot sourced) plug I installed and that it has the "L" shaped prong at the top; the kit came with another prong (more a "V" I think...) that I can use instead of the "L" - I still have it. Question is, should I have them install a receptacle to fit the plug I have (originally for dryer), or do I need to replace the top post, or...do I need a different plug adapter on the welder's cord?

I need to know this afternoon please

Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i would assume whatever is standard among shop tools (ie- welder, air compressor, mill, etc) so someone doesn't get confused. but then again, i guess the receptacle can be changed at any time. my two cents.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Thanks Ian.

Any input on 50A versus 30A - does it matter? Any harm is going 50A? I assume that it just means that the given appliance can draw UP TO 50A without throwing a breaker - not that it will accididentally give the appliance too much power, right?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Install a receptacle that fits your welder plug. Didn't come with a plug already attached? Not much of a welder.

My Miller 251 and my Cutmater 52 both use the same plug.

I'd put a junction box on the wall then have a 19-25 foot extension cord with the receptacle on the end so you can have some mobility. Install the breaker rated for your machine(s). Mine is 50A.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-16-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Install a receptacle that fits your welder plug. Didn't come with a plug already attached? Not much of a welder.

:wabbit2:

Thanks Brian - you said the same thing on this thread earlier about it coming with no plug It's Harbor Freight and I know it's not a Miller (would've been nice).

Thanks, I'll have them match to the plug I have installed to the welder. I have a 25 foot 10AWG cord hooked up to the welder, with the plug I also attached, for mobility.

Phil

Quick Reply: So I'm hooking up my new welder and...