Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

So I'm hooking up my new welder and...

Old 02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flux core will give you better penetration, and you wont have to worry about the shield gas blowing away when you are outside.

That said I much more enjoy welding with gas. Cleaner welds and my shop does not fill up with smoke.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is a shame you are only making it harder on your self trying to practice on scrap. You will spend more time cleaning then welding.

Remember the prep work is 90% the rest is the welding.

Best of luck.:jessica:
Old 02-19-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is a shame you are only making it harder on your self trying to practice on scrap. You will spend more time cleaning then welding.

Remember the prep work is 90% the rest is the welding.

Best of luck.:jessica:

Well, I'd rather learn on something than learn for the first time on my frame I don't mind cleaning a little scrap to learn to weld the real thing better!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Buck87
Subscribed,
I think you have the right idea, both the white and the black are hot so they are interchangable, but I want to hear it from someone who is sure.
No they are not.

Black & red are hot! White is neutral and is grounded at the electrical box & no where else. You hair dryer or lamp do not care but electrical motors sure do!

between white and a red or black is 120VAC. between black & red is 240vac.

between white & green is 0.0 But white is not green.

Follow the diagram, and make double damn sure the feed breaker is open! first thing in the box is your meter to make sure its a dead line. I do not need anymore funerals, I attend to damn many as is.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the color of the wires is not important. the person who hooks them up decides which wires are hot and which is neutral or ground. when hooking up 220v with a black and white conductor most electrcians will wrap the white wire with red or black electrical tape to show it is a hot wire.they have everything under control with the wirering, everything will work fine. when in doubt get out the multi meter.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM

I'm glad I waited a day, a few days at that (I'm on a business trip in Portland this weekend so I couldn't do any of this hookup yet anyway ).

Seems to still be some disagreement about what setup to use.

Skypilot - what do you mean by "freed breaker" being open? Is this something in the welder or are you referring to my home's breaker box?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Red face

He I hope means the breaker you are using is in the open position.

This is where so many people get screwed up in wiring.

In the newer homes they are all using a 4 wire cable to hook up any208/ 220/240 VAC. Stoves/Ac/ Dryers etc.

What ever you may have.

In industry most all single phase equipment still comes with the 3 wire cable. Black /white/ Green With green always the ground

Only in 3 phase does one see the red wire which is always going to be or should be the third leg.

It can get real confusing fast.

That is why I said to check how the Female plug is wired just to be safe in case it is not wired to code.

Your Multimeter is your friend

If you have questions feel free to Pm me.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
He I hope means the breaker you are using is in the open position.

This is where so many people get screwed up in wiring.

In the newer homes they are all using a 4 wire cable to hook up any208/ 220/240 VAC. Stoves/Ac/ Dryers etc.

What ever you may have.

In industry most all single phase equipment still comes with the 3 wire cable. Black /white/ Green With green always the ground

Only in 3 phase does one see the red wire which is always going to be or should be the third leg.

It can get real confusing fast.

That is why I said to check how the Female plug is wired just to be safe in case it is not wired to code.

Your Multimeter is your friend

If you have questions feel free to Pm me.
sorry not correct

"Only in 3 phase does one see the red wire which is always going to be or should be the third leg."
it should read
Only in 3 phase does one see the blue wire which is always going to be or should be the third leg.
single phase black (1st hot) red (2nd hot)
philbert sky pilots telling you just to be sure to turn the main breaker off.
and again green wire would go to the L shape prong ... some appliances it would matter where the black and white went ...but on the welder it doesn't ...black and white to the flat prongs
Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Thanks Robert.

Again, still conflicting info about the wires, but if you say the white/black doesn't matter, and others are saying it does....I'm going to wire it up like they say, since the green seems to be for the L shaped prong, according to everyone else's post here...and if it doesn't matter where white/black go, then it won't hurt to follow the specific directions for them posted here earlier

thanks guys
Old 02-19-2012, 03:09 PM

just to throw a little more out there when u go with 220v set ups u are better 4unning 4 wire set ups due to having an extra ground in there, but in "most" cases when u look at 3 wire 220 setups it is ran as black wire is 120 or hot... white 120 or hot and green or copper neutral or ground... now if u use 4 wire. it is black 120 hot, red 120 or hot, green ground, white neutral... so now that the electrical lesson is done... go weld and have fun building things...
Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

in this case with the welder it doesnt matter, as long as your running 110 thru black( Phase A) and 110 thru white (phase B) and ground green your ok there is no nuetral for 220 the hot wires are out of phase from each other and complete the circuit for one another.. you cannot do 110 thru black (phase A) 110 thru white (phase A).. larger compressors for example it does matter but your not hooking up a larger compressor to the dryer plug.
"and if it doesn't matter where white/black go, then it won't hurt to follow the specific directions for them posted here earlier"
which ones are you referring to?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by irab88

(gray = white)
Robert, I was referring to what Ian posted earlier.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 PM

Red face

Interesting all the 4 wire soow cable I have come across is Black, White Red, and Green I have yet to see any with Blue.

i am out in the field doing this every day

Is this something new ?? That all the older cable will be declared unsafe because of color and need to be replaced. More things to send manufacturing off shore.

Such is life
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting all the 4 wire soow cable I have come across is Black, White Red, and Green I have yet to see any with Blue.

i am out in the field doing this every day

Is this something new ?? That all the older cable will be declared unsafe because of color and need to be replaced. More things to send manufacturing off shore.

Such is life
Commercial. I've never seen much blue wire outside of machine shops.

Older wire is dangerous. I have zinc plated copper wire in my house with cloth insulation inside armored cable. I have all the outlets pigtailed due to arcing at the outlets. When you see a wire eaten away you understand how fires start. I use a nasty wire nut to cut into the wire and make a solid connection until I can get to replacing every foot of that junk.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
...I have yet to see any with Blue.
faded green can look blue, and some shades of blue look green. also, if there is blue wire, you'll know right away that it's not up to code

[/threadjack]
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Philbert
Thanks Robert.

Again, still conflicting info about the wires, but if you say the white/black doesn't matter, and others are saying it does....I'm going to wire it up like they say, since the green seems to be for the L shaped prong, according to everyone else's post here...and if it doesn't matter where white/black go, then it won't hurt to follow the specific directions for them posted here earlier
^^^That is generally my philosophy. Black to the brass colored screw, white to the silver screw, green to ground. I like to keep things in my e-boxes neat clean and consistent. "multimeter is your friend"

Last edited by Buck87; 02-21-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Interesting all the 4 wire soow cable I have come across is Black, White Red, and Green
this is correct..but your earlier statement "only in 3 phase does one see the red wire" is not as your explaining now red is found through out single thru to 3 phase..the blue is ONLY found in 3 phase and 3 phase is only found in commercial wireing...not residential and does not have anything to do with this thread because he does not have 3 phase but i thought id correct the statement anyway..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Hooked up

OK, finally got the plug hooked up - let me know what you guys think?

The "L" prong seems to have some slight give to it when wiggled, despite being seated in the groove on the opposing half of the plug module....

Have not plugged it in yet - that's further down the road, and I've been really busy with work work lately.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
looks good to me
Old 03-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I wish you the best of luck Phil with that welder but the fact it came without a plug is a big tip off IMO. For a little more you could have purchased a name brand welder used/new and got a plug and much more. As one who works on Toyotas, I'd never use flux core except on a tractor or something I didn't care what it looked like.

If you learned doing MIG, you are not going to like the mess FC makes.

:wabbit2:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So I'm hooking up my new welder and...