Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Reminder: wear safety glasses/goggles and use a face shield

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Reminder: wear safety glasses/goggles and use a face shield

Even wearing them you can STILL get metal in your eye as I had a metal sliver dug out of mine yesterday...after three trips to three doctors...I had to finally find it.

Just a reminder boys and girls - Protect your eyes always as much as possible, you don't get another set.

I should be good as new by the weekend, but right now I look like the wife slugged me in the right eye.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Banned

:pat:

Old 04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abuse is a very very bad thing.
If your wife is abusing you Brian you have to know that it is NOT your fault.
If you need a support group you can try:

hllp://www.mywifebeatmysorryass.org

Thanks for the reminder - I need to get better eye protection than shooting glasses.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

When a 5' tall brunette shows up at your door Peter and uses the can in your avatar on you...you'll know who it is and what it is for.

You get one set of eyes Peter, no do-overs. Get your eye protection A.S.A.P.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Tacoma Dude]Abuse is a very very bad thing.
If your wife is abusing you Brian you have to know that it is NOT your fault.
QUOTE]

Is this your cry for help? Heres a book for you Abused men

But really safety glasses are a must..even when doing something routine like changing your oil! Hot oil in the eye sucks
Old 04-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
When a 5' tall brunette shows up at your door Peter and uses the can in your avatar on you...you'll know who it is and what it is for.

You get one set of eyes Peter, no do-overs. Get your eye protection A.S.A.P.

If I see her through the peephole I'll call my girlfriend and ask her to come over and protect me

So you're advocating use of both at the same time?
I haven't done any grinding recently but will be doing some cutting in the near future.

EDIT:
oh yeah, I hope your eye is feeling better soon.

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 04-27-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

Always wear safety glasses when working on your vehicle or out in the shop/garage...and when grinding, cutting, welding, etc...use the appropriate face shield.

Old 04-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, and go for the good safety glasses that wrap around to your face. I was wearing some basic ones and angle grinding on my bumper the other day and still a spark found its way to my eye.

So yes, I'll be more careful from now on, and this is good reminder. I need my peepers!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

face shields are ~$12 at lowes. everyone needs one while grinding! and ear plugs!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 AM
Banned

Yes, ear plugs are nice too...nothing like a hot spark in your ear canal to make you dance a jig and speak in tongues.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

I did construction for a few years before I joined the Navy (to do Construction) and we never wore any type of safety gear. In fact if it was even mentioned you were a sissy. One thing I will say about the service is that they really have done a great job at creating a "culture" of wearing safety gear. Every job we plan and estimate for has safety plans and includes what PPE (personal protective equipment) will be required for each phase of the job.

The only reason I did not get injured prior to the Navy is Luck.

Good reminder!
Old 04-28-2006, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

I work for Sea Ray now and I get freakk'n fiberglass (as well as acetate..can you say burns like a son'obitch) in my eye at least once a month...sucks ass (and thats with all the safety stuff)
Old 04-28-2006, 06:11 AM

Safety glasses and shields and ear plugs....not just for truck work but even task such as mowing the grass.......for the sliver in the eye I have heard you can use a strong magnet to get it back out..never had reason to try it myself but that's what I heard..

Glad you are ok....or will be soon... I know I can always use a saftey reminder

Old 05-12-2006, 03:07 PM

The magnet works, finally got a spec of metal out of my eye last night that has been bugging me for a few days. The safety glasses are good but when your grinding stuff it always seems like something gets around them.

Getting one of these on the way home today.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46526
Old 05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Brian you are one lucky guy. That is twice in the last month or so isn't it? I am the Safety Committee Chairman here at work and that is my number one topic.It is also the number one injury in the business. You don't even walk into our shop without a pair of Safety Glasses. Like you said, that isn't enough sometimes. Glad to hear you are going to be ok.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lately I've been grinding a lot and finally resorted to wearing some plasma cutter goggles to keep the sparks out of my eyes. These are lined with foam around the edges so in theory there should be a pretty tight seal. Even with these there is still a gap near my nose and I could still feel things hitting close to my eyes.

Also, if you're grinding all day you should wear a filter to keep out the dust from your lungs.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
even at the brewery where I work I have to wear a hardhat, ear plugs, and safety glasses to go visit the computer terminals out on the production floor. don't want stray beer flying in my eyes!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

somewhat related to this topic: i have been talking with a good friend of a friend who is in the restaurant supply industry. he says that there are many manipulative, scumbag workers in the restuarant industry who know the worker's comp laws and manipulate it to their advantage.

for example, he says taht there is a very popular chinese restauarnt where the head chef said to the owner "give me $1000". he told him to eat ####, so the chef cut his finger on purpose and did a slip and fall. he said "well now, i will just have to file a workman's comp claim...that will cost you $10,000 now". so the owner told him that he'd sue him, but that would take another couple thousand to prove that he did it to himself. and given the highly protective worker's rights laws in the great state of CA, more often than not, the claimees get their way.

so what did the owner eventually do? hired more backup chefs, installed cameras in the kitchen, and the best thing: mandated a policy where chefs and other back end people had to wear cutproof gloves. if they were even seen without these gloves, theyd be fired on the spot. no questions axed. haha...double pun there!

so that is the point and moral of the story for people like strap22: if you are in a supervisory position and this kind of stuff costs your company money (lost wages, claims, etc) because of poor implementation or poor adherence to safety procedures, make rules and have them followed...or else!

For the rest of you schmucks, just wear your goggles. I've had disintegrated dremel cutting disks barely miss my eye. now that was pretty scary. but metal shavings

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 05-15-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well i feel lucky this weekend... while cutting off the ronded off nuts (not by me) on my 02 sensor on the runner i had my first 4.5" cutting disk explode on me.

i was wearing both eye and ear protection but no gloves. nocked my left hand fairly hard but didnt break skin... but still feels like i punched something HARD

Quick Reply: Reminder: wear safety glasses/goggles and use a face shield