Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Need new drill soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Need new drill soon

I had a post here in the past, but never got around to getting one.
Newer models are out now.

Presently my Sears 9.6 volt drill both batteries last a few minutes each.

Looking at a 19.2 volts set from Sears.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

It comes with two batteries, charger, and two drills.
One is a right angle one.

I like to stick with Craftsman power tools like I do with my hand tools for the warranty.

Does this look like a good combo?
I would rather just have the regular drill, no need for the 2nd one.
I do not see any single 19.2 drill kits there.
It got an excellent review there too.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I would rather just have the regular drill, no need for the 2nd one"

That will be the case until you are doing something that you need to drill a pilot hole for and then drive the screw. Gets to be a pia when you have to constantly re chuck different things.
Also that right angle drill could come in quite handy in a tight spot.
Possibly get a third battery and keep the right angle in the cruiser? Just make sure the battery stays charged. or get a car charger or inverter for regular one.

I have a 18v dewalt and a sawzall in my stash, inverter for the charger.

just a thought
Old 09-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Ever thought about getting one with a cord? I've never actually NEEDED a cordless.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I hate cords.
Often I am working out at the rig.
I do have a Sunbeam 110v drill that is from the 60s, and it works fine, but I prefer cordless for handtools.

Reg, I will have to take a trip to Sears and see if they have single kits there that they do not show online.
Having the 2nd unit in the rig would be nice, but I had planned on getting an airdrill that I can use with the Powertank.

Lighter to carry, and no need to lug along a spare charger and battery for the slim drill.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:02 PM

Cordless Drill options

I'm in the same position as you. I have a Craftsman 13.8V drill whice came in a combo back when I worked at Sears during college selling tools. I'm a big fan of Dewalt and I own many of there products, including a corded drill. My Craftsman is on its last leg so i too am looking for a replacement. I would recommend that what ever you get you first consider the weight of the drill you buy. Personally a 14.4V has all the power I need while keeping weight low. Those 18V+ drills get heavy after a little use. I just asked a friend who has worked at Home Deport for many years and his father owns a Hardware Store. He suggested I look at Rigid due to the fact that the 14.4V has Lithium batteries which weigh the same as competitors 12V but still have good power. He also mentioned that they recently received a top rating from consumer reports. Good Luck with what ever you buy!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 PM

I prefer milwakee A little pricey but they last forever
Old 09-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

I was just looking at the milwaukee 28v, they are pricey but nice and durable. I have a 14v milwaukee but I need something with a little more kick and last longer. I think the 28v have enough torque for lug nuts, cvs, etc... and last up to twice as long as their 18v batteries.

Edit: I realized that I was thinking of their cordless impact gun when I made the comment about cv's, etc... The hammer drill has up to 600in. lbs. of torque while the impact driver has up to 325 ft. lbs. of torque.
You still can't go wrong with milwaukee. Also, I am not to sure about craftsman power tools. I work in construction and can count on one hand the number of craftsman power tools I have ever seen on a jobsite. I like their hand tools but would never buy their power tools if I planned on using them often.

Last edited by slosurfer; 09-24-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SoiledGreen98
I prefer milwakee A little pricey but they last forever
X2!

Being in the contruction business a few years ago, i came to learn that Milwaukee drills are known as one of the best.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by rocket
X2!

Being in the contruction business a few years ago, i came to learn that Milwaukee drills are known as one of the best.
That is what most of the millrights and carpenters use at Boeing for cordless tools.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

PS...

Thinking about this air one one for the rig
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

Not sure if these URLs will work later, Sears like to have those stupid cookie session timeouts.

Craftsman Professional 3/8 in. Reversible Drill with Keyless Chuck
Sears item #00919904000 Mfr. model #19904

Keyless chuck too, and reversible.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good.

I have always got my stuff from tool shows or Harbor Frieght, havent had any kind of problems to date. So the price throws me, but i can understand your wanting the return policy. Since reading this here i am working out the palne to get a simple airtool set up to go with the air compressor i got earlier this year from Steve, The 1/2" impact and 3/8" ratchet have held up so far i think i'll go get a second pair for the trail.

Thanks for the good idea.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

As you can see, I carry a heavy duty Craftsman 1/2" impact air wrench.
It has been very reliable.

I think it needs a playmate, that air drill above would keep it company

Old 09-24-2006, 11:50 PM

i own a makita 18v cordless my father owns a 4 yearold Milwaukee 18v he likes his but after this last project we did i found my drill missing alot more he said the speed contorl on my Makita was better i have allways owned Makitas and like them, Milwaukees are great also,but the batts dont last long enuff and cost alot to replace stay away from dewalt i worked in industrial job and guys where using Hilti Dewalt Boshe Makita and Milwaukee all good tools but the dewalts would catch fire alot we sent back a few Dewalts the rep was not happy with us burning up drills.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 AM

i honestly think that dewalt is the top power tool maker, along with mil, and makita.
but all my stuff is dewalt, and all the batteries are interchangeable.

my first drill was a rigid and i still use it and like it, but it is an extra due to the battery thing.

and if youre saying that a right angle drill isnt worth the money, just wait till you start doing a ton of fab hours and wrenching in tight spots and youll wish you had it.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

I always carry my dewalt 18v drill/hammerdrill and 18v cordless 1/2 impact gun in my rig. I have also had some great experiences with milwakee 110v drills, no experience with their cordless tools though.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by reggie 00
Looks good.

I have always got my stuff from tool shows or Harbor Frieght, havent had any kind of problems to date. So the price throws me, but i can understand your wanting the return policy. Since reading this here i am working out the palne to get a simple airtool set up to go with the air compressor i got earlier this year from Steve, The 1/2" impact and 3/8" ratchet have held up so far i think i'll go get a second pair for the trail.

Thanks for the good idea.
You have had good luck with Harbor Freight???? Everything that my boyfriend and i have bought from there breaks in a week or less...Maybe its just the location that is in our area. I just saw this and it caught me off guard because of our experiences.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the cordless drill/impact combo rather than the right-angle drill. Seems to me the impact would get more/better use, at least for changing tires and stuff (yes, I see you have an air impact for the power tank).

My 0.02
Old 09-27-2006, 06:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Harbor Frieght around here has a nick name of "Harbor Fright."
Old 09-27-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Harbor Frieght around here has a nick name of "Harbor Fright."
sounds about right
Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

I guess i am just lucky.

I pick up things like impact sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, saw blades ect, pretty selective not everything is gonna pass.
My air tools are from there and i have had no problems to date. I get the impact style sockets alot cheaper than others regular sockets. We have an air nailer that's going on 4or 5 years now with a lot of project under its belt.
Know a couple pro mechanics that only use HF and make out OK.
I like Snap on, Macao, Craftsman, ect, but i usually do things on a shoestring budget and try to make things as cost effective as possible. I have broken at least one of every manufacturer's tools i guess everything breaks, its just a matter of when.

Quick Reply: Need new drill soon