Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Yakima/Thule alternitive roof rack

Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yakima/Thule alternitive roof rack

I've been in the market for a new roof rack system since I sold off the one I made a few years back. I've looked at the mega warrior for Yakima and Thule and couldn't pull the trigger on a $400 system and another $100 for the attachments to fit my 99 4runner.

I just purchased a Curt roof rack system and extension from amazon.com and had it out of the box and together in about an hour. it was very well manufactured and 95% of the holes matched up perfectly. The other 5% needed a little force but the bolts did go in and every thing lined up properly.

The mounting system is somewhat universal and can be used on round and square tubes.

I did need to reverse the forward cross bar to add the extra support for the front of the rack.

It measures 62"x37"x4" with extension installed and 41.5"x37"x4" with out

Overall for around $210 for the rack and extension I felt it was a good buy and would recommend it.

Here are the amazon.com links
Rack: http://www.amazon.com/Curt-18115-Roo...2952248&sr=8-3
Extension: http://www.amazon.com/Curt-18117-Mou...gy_auto_text_b

Side view
Name:  6242d0fe.jpg
Views: 6170
Size:  38.8 KB

Front view
Name:  e19d35b0.jpg
Views: 2411
Size:  53.7 KB

Packaging
Name:  579fbbcb.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  52.1 KB

Mounts
Name:  5d114f05.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  50.5 KB

Last edited by Epcofabrication; 03-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:31 AM

agree with you...you made a good purchase
congratulations
I was just thinking about buying this one, so thanks for the info
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
looks nice and low profile... any gas mileage effects?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good... what kind of warranty do they offer?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Outsane: Haven't noticed any yet still on the first tank since I installed it. I did have to reverse my forward crossbar and move the bars as far forward to the rack far enough forward to open the lift gate with out it touching my rear spoiler. So it over laps my sun roof by 3 inches and with the sunroof open there is wind noise on the free way.

Aviator: I tried searching Curt Website for their warranty and came up with not much. But I've had good luck with returning things while using amazon. Its pretty simple and not much can go wrong with it. I dunno I wasn't worried about the one miss lined bolt hole, after I loosen the other side up I was able to get it to thread and then I just tightened both of them together.

So far I'm happy with it. I'm going on an extended weekend trek next month and it will get put through the ringers.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 AM

Arrow my $.02 on this rack

Hi there,
I installed this rack today (Curt 18115 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack without the extension) and I will share my first impressions. (Bought on Amazon and arrived 5 days sooner than expected. I am in SoCal). I have a stock 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4.
The mounting bolts are oriented so they stick up past the floor plane of the basket and this is not good. I am going to see if I might be able to flip the mounts somehow but I don't think that will be possible. The bolts and knobs/nuts could easily damage items up there or get damaged by items up there.
Also, the nuts have a plastic molded knob to facilitate tooless installation but these are really hard to tighten. REALLY hard. I jury rigged a drill with hole bit, 2 pieces of wood and a pair of vice grips all duct taped together to get them tightened. I have hand problems which only made matters worse. I'm not sure if I could have new u-bolts made that are shorter or something. I might look into this option.

The rack looks just ok. I don't think it looks bad but I also don't think it really adds to the look of the vehicle very much.

The rack bolts are so tight and difficult that if I decide to remove it in between trips or whatever I will leave it attached to the factory cross bars and remove them and the rack all together.

BUT- I bought it to be able to store gas cans and other lighter/bulky items and it is plenty strong and fairly light and so for the intended purpose I am happy.

I will report back w pics or other useful info if I come up with any.

Cheers-

O

Last edited by Om_Audio; 08-11-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Om_Audio
Hi there,
I installed this rack today (Curt 18115 Roof Mounted Cargo Rack without the extension) and I will share my first impressions. (Bought on Amazon and arrived 5 days sooner than expected. I am in SoCal). I have a stock 2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4.
The mounting bolts are oriented so they stick up past the floor plane of the basket and this is not good. I am going to see if I might be able to flip the mounts somehow but I don't think that will be possible. The bolts and knobs/nuts could easily damage items up there or get damaged by items up there.
Also, the nuts have a plastic molded knob to facilitate tooless installation but these are really hard to tighten. REALLY hard. I jury rigged a drill with hole bit, 2 pieces of wood and a pair of vice grips all duct taped together to get them tightened. I have hand problems which only made matters worse. I'm not sure if I could have new u-bolts made that are shorter or something. I might look into this option.

The rack looks just ok. I don't think it looks bad but I also don't think it really adds to the look of the vehicle very much.

The rack bolts are so tight and difficult that if I decide to remove it in between trips or whatever I will leave it attached to the factory cross bars and remove them and the rack all together.

BUT- I bought it to be able to store gas cans and other lighter/bulky items and it is plenty strong and fairly light and so for the intended purpose I am happy.

I will report back w pics or other useful info if I come up with any.

Cheers-

O

Wow, mine wasn't too bad to install, sure the bolts end stick up but I just looped them off with my grinder after the were tight. I've loaded it up with my kayak and full camping gear and it did everything I wanted todo. Sounds like you might have cross threaded one of the mounting nuts, cause I have trouble keeping them tight on mine. Only thing I've seen is a 1-2 mpg drop in gas mileage cause I now have a wind dam on top of my Runner. Hope it works out better for you.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM

Ya it seems fine in terms of strength and such. I like it. I almost wonder if there might be a way to flip the mounts so the bolts face down. I didn't cross thread any but the lock nuts were just really tight on all of them. That is a good thing but rough for me and my overused hands and forearms. Posted some pics for others to see. The fairing I added a pic bc seeing how the hardware is oriented could be helpful.
Thx
C
Attached Thumbnails Yakima/Thule alternitive roof rack-copy-imag0845.jpg   Yakima/Thule alternitive roof rack-copy-imag0847.jpg   Yakima/Thule alternitive roof rack-copy-imag0850.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM

I got the Rage Motorsports rack from amazon. It looks great but the screws stick up quite a bit and could cut or scratch a tent, bag, or anything for that matter. I recommend picking up some of those rubber covers that ppl put on the ends of those "build ur own" metal closet shelves. Get them at the grocery store or walmart and keep ur possessions looking nice!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM

They are nice, but with my budget i bought a brand new one for $184 shipped and it is sturdy as hell.